“Convenient and value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of JJ Hotel

Save Saved
You added JJ Hotel to your Saves list
JJ Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lucky Centre, 165-171 Wanchai Road, Hong Kong, China (Wan Chai)   |
Ranked #113 of 651 hotels in Hong Kong
London, England
“Convenient and value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This is a good quality hotel close to the Wan Chai Subway station and within easy walking distance of the Convention Centre and the Admiralty. Rooms are clean, and of a good size. The staff are very helpful and the air conditioning is excellent. It is also very quiet - susrprisingly so given that my room was next door to the check in. Overall good value for money in a fabulous city where hotels are pricey.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the lifts
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

447 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Im glad that our hotel room is able to be moved to a quieter one inside the hall, not the ones directly opposite the elevator when you go up. Toiletries were complete and they change your toothbrush everyday (which i thought is just 1 per person for the whole stay). You can also borrow the head converter if your plug uses a different system...its for free, just approach the receptiont 9th flr a. one area of difficulty is just finding the bus stop for A11, which is going to the airport. Reception girl just told us to cross the street and wait there, turns out its more blocks away. So just ask clearly and hope its a different girl so get clear directions (one i asked was the one on duty at around noon). But this aside, our stay was very good, subway distance is okay, a grocery store in the basement (wellcome), nearby food/restaurants (yoshinoya beside the building, etc. and also one in the building), and friendly staff and housekeeping personnel. I liked it. :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York State
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My four star rating is based on my experience, and not the fact this is a four star hotel - though by hong kong standards, it might be! Lol...

If you are looking to explore Hong Kong, this is your place: located on busy Wan Chai Road and surrounded by endless shops, restaurants, and two bakeries across the street (awesome sweet buns!); taxis are right out front, as well as buses; and the Wan Chai MTR station is just a couple minutes walk, as is the Star Ferry (straight out the door). Yes, the street is noisy and busy, but it does quite down from midnight to 6am, so sleeping is no problem. There is an Asian fine dining restaurant in the building, a lounge on the 20th floor, and a supermarket, basement level. (an empty refrigerator is provided, so stock up on drinks, snacks and alcohol - the supermarket actually has a nice selection of beer, wine and spirits)

If you can, be picky on your room. The first one I was given was horrible: next to reception, on top of the elevator, and a hard, split king (I hate the crack!). The second room I was given was "just right" with a "cushy" and comfortable queen bed, and average size for Hong Kong (I have a bad back, so a good bed is important). The third room I got to see, was huge. (housekeeping had the door open). So if you have a choice, choose well.

Yes, the bathroom is surrounded by glass walls, but there are blinds, solid marble everywhere, and a large shower (I actually liked it!). The tv is small with only 11 channels, but there is a DVD player, so if you have to watch tv, there are options.

The staff is very helpful, rates are reasonable, and housekeeping is incredibly friendly and smilely (you don't get many smiles in Hong Kong, so it was refreshing!).

After having five star luxury and service in Thailand the previous week, Hong Kong was disappointing and insanely expensive (Manhattan prices). But if I had to come back, there is no doubt, I would choose the JJ Hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't get the room next to reception.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Foster City, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Husband and I stayed at JJ hotel for 4 nights during Oct 2012. We had a pleasant stay!! The room is very clean and big (most of hotel are very small in hk), staff are super friendly and helpful, and the location of the hotel is the most attractive part to us. It's walking distance to subway, restaurants, bars, and times square where is the major shopping area in causeway bay. We have recommended this hotel to some of our friends whose are planning to visit hk. and we will definitely stay at JJ hotel again for our next visit! :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Braintree, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Hong Kong hotels are generally very expensive so we were drawn to the cheaper rates of the JJ Hotel as we usually spend very little time in the hotel preferring to be out and about. Therefore you obviously have to compromise so the JJ is a fairly basic hotel with limited facilities but with nice clean rooms and good showers (very important in the humidity of Hong Kong!).

The hotel is based on the 9th floor of an office block and therefore somewhat impersonal as it shares with many other businesses. Apart from checking in at reception we saw no-one else in the 4 nights we were there but when all you want is a good clean room this is not a problem. Also being high up noise from the busy Wan Chai area is not a problem.

If you want a basic clean hotel in a central location for a good price then the JJ is a good choice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I stopped at the JJ Hotel in Wan Chai for a weeks break, I chose the hotel on the basis of the cost and the decent reviews, but for me the most important aspect was the location.
The hotel is on a busy street, on the upper floors of an office block. The hotel is easy to get to from the airport. I caught the A11 bus, for $40 HK, which is hardly anything for the journey of about 30 mins. When the bus gets to central HK the stops come thick and fast, the stop for the JJ Hotel was No 11, from there it's a short walk to the parallel road where the hotel is nestled. No breakfast was available, but the hotel is surrounded by food places, so this wasn't a problem. The hotel is about 5 mins from Wan Chai underground train station, and trams also run from nearby roads direct into the "Central" area of HK where the IFC buildings, the larger malls and the ferry terminals are. I found it really easy to get around, HK isn't a massive place, so often I could walk to my destination quite quickly too. The hotel staff were really helpful, giving me help on the airport bus services, advice on local places to eat and generally couldn't do enough for me. The room was on the small side, but spotlessly clean and so quiet considering the area outside.
One evening their was a massive thunderstorm and I couldn't hear anything at all as the room was so well insulated. The room came with air con and a small safe. To sum it up the hotel was ideal for me, it was clean, reasonably priced and in a good location for me to see the city using the local transport. I'd definitely return if I visit HK again.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room with a view and that is exactly what I was given.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

At first it was a bit confused as end of Johnston Road changed named to Wanchai Road and branched off to Hennessy Road. It took awhile to get used to the roads as the hotel was off from an triangle position. Three lifts shared with all tenants in that building. J J Hotel occupied four floors. Room considered spacious as the bathroom was walled with glass, can see thru. It can conceal by pulling down the blinds but not fully covered. It may be good for couples but not so for business partners.
The receptionists were inexperienced: 1. checking-in: they asked for $500 deposit by taking your credit card details total with the amount of your entire stay without giving a receipt. The staff said that it was a holding fee. I have noticed my bank statement appeared twice the amount, one with extra $500 and the other with the actual stay amount. Although eventually the first one disappeared after couple of days checking out, but it caused a bit of unease.
2. Checking out: causing upset. As I have informed the receptionist at 8:30am to extend a longer stay as my flight was 7pm. She agreed extend extra half hour to 12:30pm, the most is to 1pm. But at 10:30am, a call to the room to remind check-out time is 12noon. My husband explained that it has been extended, the person still insisted checkout at noon. By 11:30pm another phone call came in reminded checkout time noon. I was furious of keep on hasseling even initially agreed for extension. Eventually we decided to checkout and moved our luggages on the dot at noon. We made a complain but no one owned the responsibility, keep passing the buck. We were annoyed and left a bad memory. We don't think we will come back to stay, we are sure that there are better service in other hotels.

Room Tip: make sure what you booked e.g. high floor or non-smoking is what they are going to honour. I heard...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to JJ Hotel? Share your experiences!