“Do not book anywhere in chunking mansions!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hong Kong Tai Wan Hotel

You added Hong Kong Tai Wan Hotel to your Saves list
Hong Kong Tai Wan Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Block A, 3rd Floor, Chung King Mansions, 36-44 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Ranked #125 of 148 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Do not book anywhere in chunking mansions!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

Booking ChungKing mansions was the worst decision I've ever made when traveling. I was fully prepared for budget accommodation, as I wanted to save money. However, the staff were rude, the rooms are tiny, even by HK standards, they were hot, air conditioning awful, the entire place smells of raw sewage (because the toilets are filthy and don't flush properly. Worse than that, the walls are very thin, and I was kept up all night by people partying, and then couldn't sleep in the morning because the cleaners were shouting at each other from like 7am.

I would go as far as saying it really spoiled my trip in HK, and I would strongly advise anyone who can afford to, to pay slightly more for a better place, because this was truly vile.

The only good things were i) free internet for skyping, and ii) central location.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Brisbane,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Arrived late at night and found a line up of people to get into our lift to the hotel. We had booked 2 double beds with private ensuite. We could not fault the cleanliness of bathroom. The mattresses were new and very comfortable. Bring your own towels and bathmats (No shower curtain). Some of the staff's English was not the best. But the people who could speak English were very helpful. Dont be put off by the washing hanging in the foyer.
NO BED BUGS Air conditioner worked. Large bathroom. Did not see a cockroach. Could not open windows. Just a few doors away from the Holiday Inn. Very close to the train station
This place was very good value for money

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Simply worst hostel I've ever stayed!
1. Rude and dishonest staff or should I say owner
2. Filthy bathrooms
3. Unsafe location
If you will have a problem with the owner, just simply call a police, just like we did when the owner went to our room very late at night and asking for a cash payment on our second day even though we already paid the accommodation for 4 days through credit card.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

I would just like to say that staying in Chungking Mansion is ok if you are travelling on a budget. The location is pretty good. There are many touts who want to book you a night in one of their rooms, so it is up to you to check if it is worth it.
We booked this room because the price was good and we needed a place. Even though the room was pretty bad actually. But In the morning the owner came knocking on our door sceeming that we had to get out of there. Regardless our booking. he was increadibly rude en dishonest. There was no discussion so we left and found many better places for about the same price. Go into the building to have a look for it yourself, but skip this guesthouse..

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Burnley, Lancashire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

Ok, so after reading a few reviews on here I was worried to say the least, however on arrival to the Chungking Mansions I found that the touts, although annoying were easily ignored, just by simply walking past them without even looking at them, no matter how much they try to talk to you, ignorance is the best bet here. The room and hostel in general were basic and a little grim. But if you're just after a bed for the night then it's ok.
One thing I did notice was a small black mark on my bed sheets, this stayed for the duration of my week long trip, implying that the sheets were not cleaned or changed. On my final night I woke up covered in bite marks, I'm not too sure if these came from the bed or the room as this was my first encounter with this problem.
Overall if it's just a bed you're after then the Tai Wan Hostel will suffice.

Room Tip: Ask for a window in the room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Davao City, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Booked for HK downtown Bag-packers Hostel at Block A 3rd floor etc etc but when we arrived there, a Mr. Li, who said he is the owner treated us very badly and when he heard i booked for 3 rooms through the internet, he turned into a good one, how can a man turned from one character to another and since we were on our way to Macau he said he will take charge of our baggage. But when we return we were shocked to find our baggage still there and we were transferred to the Tai Wan Hostel because there is no more vacancy at the 11th floor, where surrounding is not good, it is dirty, and plenty of Nigerian on our way to the elevator who kept on asking a lot of questions. So we decided to transfer the next day, and even one cent the owner did not refund and shouted at us instead. The man is only after peoples money, he wont care if you are safe in his hostel. The place is not safe and its dirty. I thought all hostel are the same, i tried year 2007 to stay at Dragon Hostel and it was very nice, so i decided to booked again but want it in Tsim Sha Tsui this time only to our dismay. We will never booked for ChungKing Mansion Hostel anymore. The place is never never never safe specially if you have teenagers with you.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

Maybe I'm lucky, but I have to disagree with the majority of these reviews. I stayed in a 4-person dorm with shared bathroom. Although the room, and bathroom especially, were tiny, you can't expect anything else in such a busy city unless you're willing to pay. You need to be prepared for small rooms, which is accounted for in the price. Location is excellent, step out of the lift at the bottom of the Chungking Mansion and you're in the heart of Nathan Road. I didn't find cleanliness to be an issue. The bathroom was constantly covered in water, but sharing with three other people when they're showering etc. at different times makes this understandable.

I also may have been lucky in that all the staff I encountered throughout my three day stay were friendly and helpful. Would recommend for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hong Kong Tai Wan Hotel? Share your experiences!