“shameful” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sun Kong Hostel

Sun Kong Hostel
You added Sun Kong Hostel to your Saves list
Sun Kong Hostel
Flat D2, 5th floor, Block D, Paterson Building, No.9 Great George Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, China (Causeway Bay)   |
Ranked #111 of 142 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
2.0 of 5 stars 39 Reviews
Rome, Italy
“shameful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

arrival and did not have my reservation. after 1 hour you decide to visit an accommodation (most expensive) in front, forcing me to return to the 'morrow. I had an 'other booking the following week and found that they did not ask for a refund when I threaten to send me away. sucks

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

As we arrived late at night in HK, we had only the 15 INN / Sun Kong Hostel left. The woman from the hostel picked us up at the Causeway way station, so we didn´t have to search for - very friendly. The house was a bit run down, but the location is perfect in the Causeway Bay district. Unfortunately, the room was very spartan furnishings and really tiny (room was even too small to take overview pictures). There was no sheets and the bed was dewy. After all there was wireless internet and telephone, warm water and towels. For one night just fine, but nothing for a week trip to Hong Kong. Especially not for HK $ 400, what is definitely too expensive for such a stay. There are better alternatives for the same price!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

room - basic and very compact (small even for deluxe room)
toilet - not working as expected
cleanliness - overall clean but dont expect for feather pillow, nice pillow case/bedsheet.. very basic
safety - not recommended for individual traveller.
service - rsvp for room is efficient and simple (via email)

Room Tip: I travelled to this place in 2011 Feb. I wont call it hostel/motel. I would say, more like a home st...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Manila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

I booked 1 room with private bathroom ......on the internet...and got a confirmed booking from their email.....but to my surprise as a arrived .....NO room available...what the s@it......the owner downgraded my room at the time it was raining and it was very late so i agreed to say on the room with common bathroom......the price i paid was more expensive but i stayed on the cheaper room.....to my surprise she even did not reverse my credit charges....she insists that the diff on the rates she returned is enough .....i told her to reverse the charges on my credit card bill....this place has to stop operation....i will definitely report this to the HK tourism board....very very disappointed......this was my 3rd visit to this hostel....the first and second time was not so bad.....that was 3-4 years ago. now is very bad.....even the boss management style is rude .......very very rude........

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I stayed there a few nights ago and the rooms were even tinier than expected in HKK and they were dirty. The staff was extremely rude, they didn't even make any effort to speak English and tried to throw us out of our room before checkout. To top it off, they wouldn't do (paid) laundry for us!

Room Tip: No room in this hostel is a good room! We got an ensuite and it was horrible and dirty!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

The first time I came here, I dealt with the nice young lady (I'm guessing she is the owner, not sure). She was very helpful and booked a room in the same building. The room was nice and clean.

The second time I came, I ran into the older lady who shouts like everyone is talking about. She books the rooms in the place across the street. It is mildew, moldy, and not secure!

When I complained about the room, her strategy is oh I gave you a double bed instead of a single bed, you should be happy, but the room is like that of something out of the projects. Then after I complained, she tried to increase the price, same BS.

The only good thing I can say is that even though I prepaid in advance, when I left to go to another hotel, she refunded me the money for the prepaid nights.

See the ACTUAL ROOM before you pay, because if you end up across the street, forget it!

Room Tip: See the room first! It's a must! Don't play the "no speak English bs", she under...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
manila
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

The only saving grace of this hostel is its location. It is steps away from major malls, including Sogo. When I arrived, there was no receptionist. I had to wait for her to arrive. When I did get to meet her, she was really rude. The room she gave me was in another building and we had to walk for 10 minutes. When I saw my single room, my heart sank. The paint on the wall was peeling, there was an orange stain on the ceiling, the bed looked dirty. The other guests were noisy up until 4 AM! When I went out shopping, I made sure I didn't leave anything in my room. I didn't feel safe. I checked-out really early the next day and swore never to set foot on this hostel again.

Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Sun Kong Hostel? Share your experiences!