“The place perfectly suited my needs” 3 of 5 stars

Cosmic Guest House
12F No.54-64 Nathan Road, Mirador Mansion, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Ranked #40 of 162 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“The place perfectly suited my needs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed there for 4 weeks in July 2012. I took a single room and I got a tiny one in a good price. The room didn't have windows and the water pressure of the shower were low, but the air conditioner was working, and the wireless internet too. The room was tidy enough and they cleaned it almost daily and changed the bed sheets. It was quiet at night and I slept well. Best of it was the location: it is next to the MTR (subway) station) and the great Kowloon park with a public swimming pool was nearby. Also many vegetarian restaurants that I visited. Using the underground pathways you can go to many places without having to be in the hot sun. A very good yoga studio Myoga was about 20 minutes away by train. I had a great stay in Hong kong. I didn't expect much of the guesthouse because mainly I just slept in there.

Room Tip: If you want peace and to be alone, take a single room. It is compact and fair enough quality to be a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

cosmic guest house front desk on duty sept 17,2012 12:30pm duty,chinese lady is so rude ,so ridiculous cant handle customer complain dont even try to solve the problem huh...i will never ever recommend that COSMIC GUEST HOUSE unprofessional STAFFS....BIG NO TO COSMIC GUEST HOUSE

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Valencia, España
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Worst place in Hong Kong. It's well located, but it's the only goog thing that it has. Don't trust to Lonely Planet, I guess there are much better places in Chinking Mansion, wich building they just refurbished recently. Cosmic is small (as the rest), but dirty, there were fleas in the bathroom, hair in the blankets as there were some unknown stains too. The tiles inthe wall they were broken, held with adhesive tape and a wardrobe for it not to fall down. Even the owner was nasty.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

how can i complain when i only paid 460hkd for a 3day stay? it was money well spent, the staff were very nice, they allowed us to check in early at 930am, and upon check out allowed us to leave our baggage for free until 6pm. the location was very nice, very near the mtr, bus stops,shopping malls and the china ferry terminal. the room was small but the cr was clean, water was sufficient and the the free internet was very fast. ill stay in this hostel again for my next hong kong trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Cavite City, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stumbled upon Cosmic website trying to find a cheap yet decent place to stay in HK for 3 days with my friends. We booked for 2 rooms--1 room that accommodates 4 persons and 1 single room. We were shocked by how messy the building where Cosmic was located. And as we reached the guest house, we were horrified by the windowless single room that they gave us. It was messy, had unpleasant odor, the bed looked like a hospital metal bed. It was rusty and the mattress looked shabby. The very small comfort room was a mess. There were rusty stains everywhere the tiles and sink. The tiles were dirty. It looked like a maid's room rather than a guest room. The room was inside a hallway where they do the laundry so there were clothes scattered along the narrow hallway. The deluxe room for 4 was not really nice also. Although it was a lot better than the single room. The toilet had dirty stains and their electric outlets were all 3-hole. I had to recharge my cellphone so I asked the front desk clerk (which I think was the owner also) about it and she gave me an adopter to where I can plug my recharger but she didn't give it for free. She charged me 3HKD for that adopter! And even scolded me and said "You should be prepared when you go to HK." in an unfriendly tone. Oh, my god. I thought that was their job--to be prepared for guests from other countries since they are the ones who earn money from people like us? They were not very nice. I do not recommend this guest house. Bad accommodation.

Room Tip: Do not be misled by some guest house's well-made websites. Do some research and consider reviews...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

First time in Hong Kong and a frequent visitor relative recommended this place to us.

We took a late flight and were due to arrive at Cosmic at 2am on the 11th. I sent several e-mails beforehand advising them of this, as I had booked the room for the night of the 10th. The e-mails were replied to promptly and I was told to indicate my arrival time as '26:00' when booking online. I also wrote 'will be arriving at 2am on the 11th' in the comments.

After a lengthy bus ride from the airport, we finally found the building and stumbled into the 12th floor reception at 3am. The receptionist welcomed us with a surprised and shocked look, sighing as she went through her records to find a room for us to stay. I showed her my confirmation which stated that 'room 1256' had been booked. She then told me that '06:00' had been recorded against my booking - she thought we were due to arrive at 6am and therefore our room was occupied!

She led us across the road into another building (Cosmic occupied a floor) - not ideal as it was nearing 4am and we were exhausted! We were offered 2 rooms with 2 beds each and told that in the morning we could stay there or move to the initial 4-bed room we had booked. After an early call to reception, we were told that staying there incurred an additional cost .. so we packed up and moved back across the road into room 1256.

Check-in dilemmas aside, location is wonderful. Tsim Sha Tsui station is a stone's throw away and the picturesque harbor is just down the road. We preferred to walk down Nathan road to Mongkok (4 stations away!) and everything in between, as there's plenty to see and do.

The room itself is tiny, solely designed for sleeping. The bathroom was even smaller and you had to literally shower on top of the toilet and sink, when you weren't sitting on the toilet sideways to fit.

The elevators that service the building are a bit fussy - there's 2 x 4 (one of the lots is closed off after 10pm) and of the four, only one services the 12th floor.

The 'Mirador Mansion' area where Cosmic is located is a bit creepy - lots of foreign, shifty men that run the various shops. I headed down to 7-11 one morning for water as reception wasn't open. On my way back through the building, I was followed by a man towards the elevator who was trying to get my attention. With only one elevator servicing the 12th floor, I was subject to waiting with him hovering around me, then popping the question every creepy man is only interested in. I replied 'no' then rushed into the elevator, stepping out slightly because I thought he was following me in! Definitely not safe at 8am, or any other time of day.

Overall, my expectations were high as a relative who is a frequent visitor to Hong Kong always chooses to stay here. The professionalism and service demonstrated via the e-mails prior to my arrival also gave me high hopes, but the room mix-up and quality of the area were a let down. Great value for a place in the heart of Hong Kong, but would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

It's hard to find affordable rooms in HK now and Cosmic definitely has some good prices.
I have stayed there a few times and the rooms are variable, although definitely you get what you pay for. The cheapest rooms are very small and they are windowless, however they are very good value for money. They have better rooms available if you have a more generous budget to spend, and they are the ones you are more likely to see in the hotel advertising.
I see a lot of the reviews are quite negative, but I think people maybe expect too much. Space is at a premium in Hong Kong and you would expect to pay a lot more than a couple of hundred dollars (HK) to stay in a large room right on the Nathan road.
The hotel is at a good central location. The staff are generally helpful. The wifi is good (and free).
I would reccommend it to anyone visiting HK on a tight budget. There are plenty of other hotels housed within the same building, (Mirrador mansions) and I have been to quite a few of them, but this is probably one of the best and most reasonably priced of the ones I've stayed in.

Room Tip: Ask to see available rooms first. If having a window or having a larger room is important for you t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Cosmic Guest House? Share your experiences!