“less-expensive Hongkong Disneyland Resort hotel but with more child-oriented details” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Hollywood Hotel

Save Saved
You added Disney's Hollywood Hotel to your Saves list
Disney's Hollywood Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lantau Island, Hong Kong Disneyland, Hong Kong, China (Disneyland)   |
Ranked #87 of 613 hotels in Hong Kong
Saba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

To celebrate my son’s 8th birthday, we planned a one-week Hongkong trip, which included a visit to Disneyland park. Since we couldn’t choose between Disney’s Hollywood Hotel or Disneyland Hotel, we decided to check-in in both hotels. We stayed at the Hollywood Hotel for the first 2 nights, at L’ Hotel Island South for 3 nights (near Ocean Park...see separate review), and at the Disneyland Hotel (see separate review) for our last night. Our visit was in August 2012.
An important note: Both hotels in Disneyland Resort (ie Disney’s Hollywood Hotel and Disneyland Hotel) are expensive. If you are staying for more than a couple of nights at any of these 2 hotels, it’s better to avail of the Magic Access Card. We got the platinum card for my son and we had big discounts in hotel room rates, restaurants,and gift shop items, that the Magic Access card actually paid for itself. There are also perks for the cardholder who visits on his birthday month (like my son). He was given a birthday badge among other small Disney things and also had a free birthday cake.
Having stayed at both hotels in Hongkong Disneyland Resort, I can say that both are wonderful hotels to stay in. Both have Disney characters found in decorations, spacious rooms with slippers even for kids (with Mickey design) and small colorful towels folded into different animals, Disney character voice at the elevator, big and safe swimming pools with slide (lots of towels and kids’ life vests available on site) and lifeguards always watching, in-house restaurants and gift-shop, and very friendly staff members. Other room amenities common to both hotels are shower and bath tub, flat-screen TV, spacious drawers, clock, safety deposit box, hangers, bath towels, electric water pot, free water bottles, sachets of coffee, sugar and cream and the fridge has several drinks(minibar) to be paid for when consumed. Disneyland Park tickets and currency exchange available at front desk. Free shuttle buses regularly go around the resort with stops at the 2 hotels and the park. This makes visiting the other hotel and the park much easier.
I will write features unique for each hotel in my reviews, with some comparison points because I know that choosing between the 2 hotels is one decision parents need to do. For Disneyland Hotel, please see separate review.
To start, I would say that Hollywood Hotel caters more to children than Disneyland Hotel. Some points:
* The lobby has more space where children can just walk around and play....it looks more relaxed (doesn’t look stuffy where children are expected to just sit and behave like adults).
*A TV with Disney shows at the lobby keeps the children busy while adults take care of checking-in, luggage, and other grown-up stuff.
* There are much more “hidden Mickeys” all around the hotel which are small details that excite children.
* Inside the room, there is a big wall decor between our beds that shows Mickey and Minnie...always reminding you that you are at their home.
* The room amenities are more fun-looking for children...aside from the small slippers and soap with Mickey design, the lids of the small shampoo bottles and the cups in the bathroom are made of black hard plastic shaped like Mickey’s head...giving it a more “Disney touch”.
* The swimming pool has a piano design on the floor....very interesting. The best part: Goofy came and swam in the pool with the kids! My son was so excited. The staff member that accompanied Goofy took several photos of us with Goofy. It was a memorable experience.
* As per advise of other tripadvisor members, we booked a park view room. And it was a very good decision. For watching the park fireworks from the hotel, our Hollywood Hotel room with park view gave us a much, much better experience than the “special viewing balcony” of Disneyland Hotel for Kingdom Club room guests. We had a big, wide window with a clear view of the fireworks synchronized with the sounds from our own TV (we used a loud volume for better effect)...it was amazing!
* On our second day, after a whole-day Disneyland park exploration including watching the fireworks in front of the castle itself, my son was surprised to find a birthday cake made from small towels and a birthday card signed by Mickey in our room. It was a very good ending of a magical day.
*The following morning, we arranged for the free birthday cake (from being a Magic Access member) brought to our table while we were having our breakfast buffet at Chef Mickey. The staff members brought a bigger birthday card signed by Chef Mickey together with the cake and they sang the birthday song with us as my son blew the candle...they also took photos and video for us using our own camera and video cam. My son really felt special!
Some notes that concern adult stuff:
* The lobby at Hollywood Hotel is less refined than that of Disneyland Hotel....if you want a lobby restaurant with more elegant ambiance and live music at times, go to Disneyland Hotel
* The buffet in Chef Mickey (Hollywood Hotel), though already has a lot to choose from, has less selections than in Enchanted Garden (Disneyland Hotel). This doesn’t impact children because the food that they like are available in both....cereals, different breads, eggs, pancakes, pastries, fruits, milk, and juices....also congee and dumplings and dimsum.
* The gift shop in Hollywood Hotel is smaller and therefore has less selections.... the clothes and souvenir items are more varied at the gift shop in Disneyland Hotel.
* As for the price, the rooms in Hollywood Hotel cost much less than those in Disneyland Hotel... but it doesn’t mean it gives less Disney experience.
If you can, try to check-in at both hotels to experience them first-hand. But if you have limited time and budget, and you have children with you, I would recommend that you stay at Hollywood Hotel because in my opinion, kids will enjoy it more. But, be sure to visit Disneyland Hotel during your stay (it’s easy with the free shuttle bus) so the children can play in the Maze Garden and you can visit the bigger gift shop. Also, don’t miss the character buffet meal at Enchanted Garden where at least 4 Disney characters take turns in going around to each table to take photos with guests. (see separate review of Enchanted Garden)

Room Tip: park view room is excellent for watching park fireworks
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

1,151 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Chennai, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We’ve booked this as a package for Disney land along with one night stay at Disney Hollywood hotel. We reached hotel around 11 in the morning. Rooms will be available only post lunch. So while you are travelling with elderly people or with kids, be aware of the timings. They took us to Disney land park in free shuttle service and we enjoyed our day there.
For Indians, there is a nice restaurant at the hotel who serves Indian dishes (both veg and non veg). Though the food is bit expensive, you may enjoy it.
The rooms are quiet spacious even for 4 people (2 adults+ 2 kids). Toilets are neat and clean. You may see Disney characters and imageries almost everywhere. Even some fruits are cut in the shape of Disney at the hotel.
Nice experience overall and best hotel we’ve stayed in Hond Kong.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Nothing special about this hotel. Not as good as what I read from the internet. I was expected more "disney" theme everywhere and something more "magical". It doesn't meet my expectation at all. Not much different compare to other hotel. The hotel is super crowded and not enough seat at the lobby. Room is pretty small and not really magical. $500 per night with nothing really special is very costly. The buffet breakfast is expensive with no "Muslim friendly" section. The only thing we can eat is the bread. We didn't even see the chef Mickey. The only mickey is the shape of the waffles. Its really not worth the $. Still need to take shuttle bus to Disneyland and walk quite a distance from the bus stop to the park. I will not repeat the stay and I will not recommend anyone to stay this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The room is small compare w the earlier hotel I stay in city area. Intially we requested for a cot but after realising there is space, we ask to return. Nothing much to complain as the service was ok but not really a 4* hotel as the room looks old

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pasig, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel lobby is not what i expected to see coz i thought it would be something magical coz of its disney theme. I said to myself maybe we should have booked on the other disney hotel to experience that. But the hotel room is very nice, very clean and smells good. Since we are a family of four when we stayed, we are given 2 rooms with a connecting door so we can easily go to each other's room. It would have been happier if we have kids, specially when we met Chef Mickey at the buffet and Goofy at the pool area. The food costs very high. The staff are very good too. The location is ok when u are going to the disneyland park and there are shuttle buses for free. U can also go to the city thru MTR. Even if my expectation for the hotel design was not met, the experience was still wonderful. But next time i will try to book in the other disney hotel for a different ambience.

• Stayed July 2013
San Jose, CA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The hotel has really nice decor and I loved the amenity inside the room. It has Mickey Mouse cups holding tooth brushes covered by a Mickey Mouse hat lid. Even the bath gel and shampoo were caped with Mickey Mouse hat lids. But what impressed me most was their service at breakfast. When I got in, a staff led me to a table and asked if there was any child. He got a high child ready for us. When I told him I needed to call the room to let my family know where the table was reserved. The staff got me a wireless phone to call. The staff also informed me that kids can take photos with Mickey Mouse using the invitation card placed on table. Of course, the kids went to take picture with Mickey. The breakfast items was very well displayed and selection was good. My teenagers and little ones all enjoyed the buffet. I will definitely go back there next time.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the Disney park is the best. We were on 9th floor and had the view of the castle. Y...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Yes expensive, yes food etc expensive when there but so totally worth being within the resort and part of the Disney experience.
Breakfast with Chef Mickey was good value given the huge buffet range and the quality of the food plus Mickey is there for paying diners.
Swimming with Goofy a treat just as the mid afternoon break from the crowded Disneyland to go back to hotel for swim then return to Park. Worth every cent!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Hollywood Hotel? Share your experiences!