To celebrate my son’s 8th birthday, we planned a one-week Hongkong trip, which included a visit to Disneyland park. Since we couldn’t choose between Disney’s Hollywood Hotel or Disneyland Hotel, we decided to check-in in both hotels. We stayed at the Hollywood Hotel for the first 2 nights, at L’ Hotel Island South for 3 nights (near Ocean Park...see separate review), and at the Disneyland Hotel (see separate review) for our last night. Our visit was in August 2012.
An important note: Both hotels in Disneyland Resort (ie Disney’s Hollywood Hotel and Disneyland Hotel) are expensive. If you are staying for more than a couple of nights at any of these 2 hotels, it’s better to avail of the Magic Access Card. We got the platinum card for my son and we had big discounts in hotel room rates, restaurants,and gift shop items, that the Magic Access card actually paid for itself. There are also perks for the cardholder who visits on his birthday month (like my son). He was given a birthday badge among other small Disney things and also had a free birthday cake.
Having stayed at both hotels in Hongkong Disneyland Resort, I can say that both are wonderful hotels to stay in. Both have Disney characters found in decorations, spacious rooms with slippers even for kids (with Mickey design) and small colorful towels folded into different animals, Disney character voice at the elevator, big and safe swimming pools with slide (lots of towels and kids’ life vests available on site) and lifeguards always watching, in-house restaurants and gift-shop, and very friendly staff members. Other room amenities common to both hotels are shower and bath tub, flat-screen TV, spacious drawers, clock, safety deposit box, hangers, bath towels, electric water pot, free water bottles, sachets of coffee, sugar and cream and the fridge has several drinks(minibar) to be paid for when consumed. Disneyland Park tickets and currency exchange available at front desk. Free shuttle buses regularly go around the resort with stops at the 2 hotels and the park. This makes visiting the other hotel and the park much easier.
I will write features unique for each hotel in my reviews, with some comparison points because I know that choosing between the 2 hotels is one decision parents need to do. For Disneyland Hotel, please see separate review.
To start, I would say that Hollywood Hotel caters more to children than Disneyland Hotel. Some points:
* The lobby has more space where children can just walk around and play....it looks more relaxed (doesn’t look stuffy where children are expected to just sit and behave like adults).
*A TV with Disney shows at the lobby keeps the children busy while adults take care of checking-in, luggage, and other grown-up stuff.
* There are much more “hidden Mickeys” all around the hotel which are small details that excite children.
* Inside the room, there is a big wall decor between our beds that shows Mickey and Minnie...always reminding you that you are at their home.
* The room amenities are more fun-looking for children...aside from the small slippers and soap with Mickey design, the lids of the small shampoo bottles and the cups in the bathroom are made of black hard plastic shaped like Mickey’s head...giving it a more “Disney touch”.
* The swimming pool has a piano design on the floor....very interesting. The best part: Goofy came and swam in the pool with the kids! My son was so excited. The staff member that accompanied Goofy took several photos of us with Goofy. It was a memorable experience.
* As per advise of other tripadvisor members, we booked a park view room. And it was a very good decision. For watching the park fireworks from the hotel, our Hollywood Hotel room with park view gave us a much, much better experience than the “special viewing balcony” of Disneyland Hotel for Kingdom Club room guests. We had a big, wide window with a clear view of the fireworks synchronized with the sounds from our own TV (we used a loud volume for better effect)...it was amazing!
* On our second day, after a whole-day Disneyland park exploration including watching the fireworks in front of the castle itself, my son was surprised to find a birthday cake made from small towels and a birthday card signed by Mickey in our room. It was a very good ending of a magical day.
*The following morning, we arranged for the free birthday cake (from being a Magic Access member) brought to our table while we were having our breakfast buffet at Chef Mickey. The staff members brought a bigger birthday card signed by Chef Mickey together with the cake and they sang the birthday song with us as my son blew the candle...they also took photos and video for us using our own camera and video cam. My son really felt special!
Some notes that concern adult stuff:
* The lobby at Hollywood Hotel is less refined than that of Disneyland Hotel....if you want a lobby restaurant with more elegant ambiance and live music at times, go to Disneyland Hotel
* The buffet in Chef Mickey (Hollywood Hotel), though already has a lot to choose from, has less selections than in Enchanted Garden (Disneyland Hotel). This doesn’t impact children because the food that they like are available in both....cereals, different breads, eggs, pancakes, pastries, fruits, milk, and juices....also congee and dumplings and dimsum.
* The gift shop in Hollywood Hotel is smaller and therefore has less selections.... the clothes and souvenir items are more varied at the gift shop in Disneyland Hotel.
* As for the price, the rooms in Hollywood Hotel cost much less than those in Disneyland Hotel... but it doesn’t mean it gives less Disney experience.
If you can, try to check-in at both hotels to experience them first-hand. But if you have limited time and budget, and you have children with you, I would recommend that you stay at Hollywood Hotel because in my opinion, kids will enjoy it more. But, be sure to visit Disneyland Hotel during your stay (it’s easy with the free shuttle bus) so the children can play in the Maze Garden and you can visit the bigger gift shop. Also, don’t miss the character buffet meal at Enchanted Garden where at least 4 Disney characters take turns in going around to each table to take photos with guests. (see separate review of Enchanted Garden)
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Tingo, Otel, Despegar.com, Ctrip DaoDao, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Disney's Hollywood Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Disneys Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Disneys
- Disney's Hollywood Hotel Hong Kong