“As close to perfection as it gets” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong

You added Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.8 Finance Street, Central, Hong Kong, China (Central)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Third Night Free
Ranked #3 of 693 Hotels in Hong Kong
San Francisco, California
“As close to perfection as it gets”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

OK, let me start this review by saying a) I'm spoiled rotten by other modern Four Seasons and b) I stayed over Christmas, which obviously means the hotel was packed to the brim.

The level of excellence of this hotel has been amply described by other reviewers: the rooms are large, beautiful and impeccable, the views are stunning, the spa, the pool, the restaurants, the location... all wonderful and perfect.

The meal we had at the French restaurant at the hotel -- Caprice -- was probably one of, if not The, best meal we've ever had.

Did I mention the views? And the IFC mall (with its awesome shops and pretty good restaurants)? I mean, you almost don't have to leave the hotel and the immediate surroundings if you just looking for wonderful meals, sightseeing and shopping.

Did I also mention the great 42" Panasonic plasma in the room? Not that we were there to watch TV, but it is a nice touch.

However...

Both our arrival and departure experiences were... not up to Four Seasons standards.

At arrival, we were disappointed we didn't get the upgrade we were entitled too. Fortunately it's not like we booked a bad room to begin with, but after having the expectation set (and met always before this trip) it was disppointing. The whole thing also felt rushed and several details were msised.

Departure was actually even less perfect; we had booked a limo to take us to the aiport (this was at the end of an extended trip, we had a LOT of luggage), and, in customary FS fashion we did get a nice note card reminding us the car would be ready at 11:30am.

So we get down to the Front Desk by 11:15am to check out -- get our bill, pay... and suddenly the FS magic goes AWOL. First, the front desk person -- who just reviewed my bill -- didn't notice there was a charge for a limo and almost calls a taxi for us. So we have to point out that we have a limo setup. No biggie, right? Well, the front door staff also forgot about our limo and they actually give it to somebody else. So we have to wait around until almost 12pm for *another* limo to show up -- and when it does, the driver seems to be in a bad mood and the car is not up to the standard of the limo that was given to somebody else -- which was the same that had taken us in a few days earlier.

I know, I sound kinda petty, and to be quite honestly given the choice I'm never going to stay anywhere else in Hong Kong, but hey -- when you strive for perfection (which this FS clearly does) even the smallest snafu needs to be pointed out.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

Its a four seasons...expectation come with the territory! Our welcome to Four Seasons was delightful and sort of smooth! My son mostly was interested in Disney and ocean park...boy did we love that experience! Although the website potrays a picture that it makes that extra effort to dazzle the young children.

For a four seasons, we were hardly dazzled...I dont know because it was HongKong. Even the reception team made sure to remind me it is best suited as a business hotel. Did I make the wrong choice for a family hotel? Not so much. The hotel by itself is beautiful...the pool, the spa (although the therapists arent amazing) and the lounge on the 45th floor had the most brilliant view of magnificent hongkong.

In terms of food...great food as in the menu..but if you go out of the menu...the chefs are more tuned to the existing process than into anything innovative. Overall a great place to be, but dont go with HUGE expectations. Its a good hotel...period.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

I am a frequent business traveler and have to say, I am biased when it comes to Four Seasons hotels. A long time guest at the FS hotels in various cities in the world, the FS Hong Kong is what I think is the best what one can expect from any hotel in the world. I do realize that hotel experiences are the most personal ones of any experience and a recommendation is hard to give as personal taste is immensely subjective, as this website shows.

However if one could compare Four Seasons Hong Kong with a top notch hotel management school, this would be the Harvard under the hotel business schools, this is how a hotel should be run. Bordering to absolute perfection. Contemporary (unlike some older FS properties), exquisite tastefully designed rooms, spacious (at least the room I stayed in, try always to avoid the “standard” if you can afford). The service is impeccable, personal and discrete. The hotel is somewhat located out of the city buzz but for many that’s a pro rather than a negative. The hotels houses the best restaurants in the city, among a Michelin star rated Chinese restaurant. The concierge can at some occasions, be somewhat impersonal, but is always correct and elegant. Does that mean there can’t be going anything wrong, as some here suggest? Sure it can, as is the case with other high class hotels. I stayed here several times and among all the hotels I stayed in this hotel ranks among the best business hotels in the world.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

I will be brief.

I did a great deal of research were to stay. I was traveling with my wife and almost three year old daughter. I decided on this hotel because it is a Four Seasons and all the great reviews on this site.

While the hotel did some things right (free updgrade, great room service food, great view), they did more things wrong (terrible booking experience, conceriage was horrible, cold pool which was supposed to be heated).

And for the price I expect perfection. That is the deal here. You pay big money you should get top notch service.

My experience at another hotel (I won't use the name because it makes my review look fake) was much better.

I cannot recommend this hotel for the price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

Superb quality hotel - staff in both hotel and restaurants were attentive without being patronising - pool staff particularly helpful. Ah the infinity pool.. the best bit if you like swimming in the coolness of evening in warm warm water towards the harbour vista in one direction and the cityscape lights the other. Even the men did breast stroke (so no splish splash from front crawlers!) to admire the view! Espresso coffee in room - fabulous panoramic view from the bedroom window. The spa was also wonderful. Would ABSOLUTELY go back - even reducing nights there to distill experience into an affordable number of days.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

A joyful experience from start to finish. First time in HK but certainly will stay at Four Seasons when next there. Wonderful, sweet staff, room requests (high floor, away from elevator) honoured even though on a ridiculously low corporate rate, fabulous setting, stunning well equipped and quiet rooms. Great gym and pool/hot tubs overlooking harbour/Kowloon, had them to myself every morning.

Pool bar and room service both excellent in terms of quality, although the bar staff were good at avoiding your eye so you had to get up and go to the bar to order, rather than getting table service.

Would return here for business or pleasure in a second.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

A very comfortable, clean, luxury hotel. Excellent service from friendly and welcoming staff, nothing is too much to ask. Beautiful pool. Beautiful rooms. Beautiful Food. Dream Hotel really - but you pay for it! It's expensive, especially when compared to other 5 star hotels in HK. More than double per night for some. I think this place is great though!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong? Share your experiences!