“Four Seasons did not deliver when it would have mattered” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong

You added Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong to your Saves list
Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.8 Finance Street, Central, Hong Kong, China (Central)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Third Night Free
Ranked #3 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 stars 1,476 Reviews
Seoul, Korea
“Four Seasons did not deliver when it would have mattered”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

We had a wedding lunch in the restaurant next door in IFC Mall, and booked 2 nights are Four Seasons, 1 night (normal room) before the lunch, and 1 night (suite) after the lunch.

I requested if the suite could be made available at noon, in order to change dresses before the lunch. This was not possible as the hotel was fully booked. (I checked, and suites were bookable online). So I made the point that the suite should be ready by the time the lunch ends at 4pm.

It wasn't.

We were made to wait from 4.30pm to 5pm in the lobby in full gear. Around 4.50pm customer services manager came to ask if we wanted a drink. Manager on duty introduced herself as well but did not seem too concerned. Finally, shortly after 5pm, the suite that cost us over 10,000 HKD per night was ready for us, and about 15 minutes later our suitcases from the previous room were brought in. Hardly world-class service.

Poor service continued when we wanted to book 4 seats Inagiku. Only 3 were available, at the counter, until a call to customer service manager helped get four seats (at the counter rather than a table). Throughout our dinner, the restaurant was maybe 40% full. Prices are ridiculous, and the food mediocre. I am not surprised their ranking here is about 900th out of over 1800 restaurants in Hong Kong.

The moment we were stepping out of our room for our 8pm booking at Inagiku, a trolley arrived with a bottle of champagne - just when we did not need it. 2 spa vouchers were provided, but I don't think we will be back to use them.

Rooms themselves are very nice (although the views were modest as our suite was on 12th out of 40+ floors), and the location hard to beat, but the memory of the unacceptable service on an important day will certainly last a lifetime.

My personal conclusions:
1) Never stay in a hotel in which you have no status - you get treated like royalty as Starwood Plat or even Marriott Gold but like a nuisance if you book a suite at Four Seasons
2) Never stay at a Four Seasons again

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MimiCheung_FSH, Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Thelcon_0425,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We were very disappointed to read that on this occasion, the hotel did not deliver the seamless Four Seasons service we strive to provide our guests.

Please accept our apologies for the less than perfect experience in particular relating to the delay in having your rooms ready at the requested earlier time. We do our best to have rooms ready by 2pm and try to accommodate requests like this on special occasions like yours. Although from time to time, this may be a challenge depending on the occupancy on the previous night or the guests' check-out time. We are very sorry again for the inconvenience this have caused you, especially so that it is on your special day.

Please be assured that your feedback has been shared with the relevant department heads for improvement. We very much hope to be able to connect with you and to discuss further as it means very much to us, as a valued guest, that you leave with only positive memories which we failed on this occasion. My email address is provided below.

With apologies,

Mimi Cheung
Email: mimi.cheung@fourseasons.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights at the end of a 10 day China vacation. We picked it for the location, pool / jacuzzi deck, and service. I knew this was an expensive hotel when I picked it and have no problem paying a premium for premium location / service / rooms / food. Let me begin by praising the Four Seasons Hong Kong. The location is great, the hotel well kept, and the view amazing. The service and food is also excellent. Make sure you visit the pool / jacuzzi for a view of the harbor. We spent several hours each day here. We ordered wine...it was expensive at US $ 85 per bottle but it was worth it. Great service by the pool and nice amenities like free water and towel service. The gym is exceptional with an amazing view of the harbor. They provide everything you need...water and fruit. The attendant was very friendly and helpful. He offered to explain the equipment and brought us cold water and towels. We even stopped by several times after the pool for some cold Fiji water.

If you are here on the weekend, be sure and join the Tai Chi class with William. He is great! My wife and I exercise regularly but found some of the poses and positions difficult. We felt sore the next day! It was so much fun and William made sure we were enjoying it too. Don't miss this activity.

Everything went well at check in...we signed the usual check in documents that showed our check out date and rate. We booked and agreed to pay HKD 5300 each night plus service. On our second night, I received a phone call from the front desk saying that the rate I agreed to (HKD 5300) was incorrect because of a computer error and I was having my rate increased to 5700 for the first two nights and 6500 for my final night. Of course, this occurred just before we were leaving for supper and I objected but told them I would have to talk with them when I returned. The next morning I received a letter stating the same. I called the front desk and told them I was not going to pay the extra amount because that is not the amount I had agreed to upon check in. They said the manager would take a look and make the correction. Unfortunately, upon my check out at 530 am prior to my international flight, the issue was still not corrected. I had to dig through my suitcase to find my copy of the check in document. I provided it to them and the attendant disappeared. He said his manager corrected and and showed me the bill again. To my amazement, I was charged US $4 for a local call and a toll free call (total of 7 minutes). Again, I objected and said that I was paying over US $700 per night and was not expecting to be charged for local phone calls! Isn't this normally included in five star hotels with a mandatory service / convenience charge!?!?

One last thing...buffet breakfast. We arrived for breakfast about 940 am and were told that the buffet would be closing soon. We said ok with the understanding that they surely would not close it while we were still enjoying our US $95 breakfast for two! We were wrong. 15 minutes after we sat down, the buffet began to close. By the way, there were still several couples left in the restaurant still eating. Our server stopped by once (remember there is a 10% service charge added) to offer us coffee. She then proceeded to loudly clean the buffet with the rest of the kitchen staff. We felt rushed, uncomfortable, and anxious because the servers obviously wanted us to leave. I could not believe it. Why would they close the buffet breakfast at 10am with people still eating? They didn't have a lunch crowd to get ready for nor did they have a private party to get ready for. I can't fault the servers, this is a management problem. The servers should be taught that when guests are still enjoying breakfast, they should be served and the buffet should not be closed.

p.s. They charge US $1 per page to print pages in the business center. Oh yeah, but you get the first 30 minutes of the business center computer for free! After that, you get charged...

Room Tip: Harbor view = a must
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Hong Kong business trip: spent two nights at the Four Seasons. Everything was exceptional: location (IFC mall, direct airport connection by train, view on Kowloon), rooms (perfect, in particular the bed and the bathroom), service (perfect), restaurants (perfect, did I mention the Michelin 3-star restaurant or the eggs Benedict for breakfast?), internet (super fast) and the amazing, exceptional, gorgeous spa. Thank you very much Four Seasons Hong Kong for setting the standard in the global hospitality industry.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed for six nights for a family wedding in HK. Staff were superb and could not do anymore to make our stay more comfortable. On arrival a birthday cake had been arranged for my 11 year old daughter and a surprise gift was provided. We enjoyed an airport shuttle provided by the hotel and the transfer through the airport was seamless. A special thank you also to the hotel for providing a takeaway breakfast on our departure due to our early morning flight - this was a particularly thoughtful touch. We also enjoyed the food at both Lung Heen King and Caprice, both wonderful, however I feel Caprice had the edge, the sommelier was particularly helpful and some excellent cheese choices provided by the Caprice staff. The hotel pool is stunning and again staff at the pool were attentive and helpful, providing cooling refreshments of fruit kebabs, popsicles and mini tubs of ice cream. My daughter was unfortunately ill on our trip and we had to call on the hotel doctor. The doctor arrived well within the time frame given by concierge and was efficient and helpful in his advice and diagnosis. The doctor was able to provide antibiotics immediately and by the next evening my daughter was much better. We also took advantage of the spa and whilst my massage was attentive, a word of warning, a firm massage is verging on painful and tortuous rather than relaxing! My only criticism is the spa service charge automatically added to my bill, this is the first time I have experienced a service charge added for spa services whether at a hotel or spa and I feel this should be left to the discretion of the client, I did challenge this at the time of settling my bill however was told this standard practice! Other than this we were very happy with our stay at Four Seasons, and having also been to the Mandarin Oriental and Peninsula in HK, I would definitely say that the Four Seasons stand head and shoulders above the other two, particularly when it comes to service.

Room Tip: If you can afford it get a suite or pay the extra for the executive lounge, this was excellent. The...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is run so well that from start to finish they provide you with perfection.

Not having traveled to Asia before this was our first hotel and it could not have been better .

The accommodation although not inexpensive was good value and PERFECT views of the Harbor.
The Restaurants ...and you have a great many to choose from are world class.The Chinese rest is a great treet.
The pool area (not much sun-as in shade) is really good for a city hotel.
The service staff are absolutely tremendous and very well trained.
Breakfast in the reception area lounge is PERFECT...
Its one of the great hotels and without doubt a place to re visit...this sort of standard doesn't just happen is a very well managed and well detailed hotel.
Its great for shopping and site seeing.
Take the tourist buss to establish your areas ...great value.

Room Tip: Put your hand in your pocket its worth it especially if its your starting place to Asia.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This is probably the best hotel I've stayed in. Faultless, great facilities, excellent rooms, great service. A cut above most hotels in HK, you cannot go wrong. The location is very good too. Even though this was a business trip the hotel is situated near everything you need.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

4 seasons doesn't disappoint. Fabulous location (right by the pier terminals plus connects to WTC if you want high end shopping and restaurants), beautiful pools with great attendants who will bring you unexpected treats such as free homemade lollies and iced drinks, and cocktail bar where I was sent free 'tasters' if there were leftovers from shakers. All other luxury is almost as you would expect, most divine bedding, marble bathrooms, bath with TV etc.

Room Tip: We were upgraded unexpectedly to room with harbour view. I booked double room and requested a 'c...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong? Share your experiences!