“Completely disappointing - would not stay here again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of J Plus Hotel by YOO

You added J Plus Hotel by YOO to your Saves list
J Plus Hotel by YOO
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1-5 Irving Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, China (Formerly J Plus Boutique Hotel) (Causeway Bay)   |
Ranked #90 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 stars 297 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
“Completely disappointing - would not stay here again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Had a horribly disappointing experience at this place. Room is a good size, but simply did not feel or seem clean. The walls are paper thin and I was able to hear everything that was going on in the neighbors rooms, making it very difficult to sleep. The location is good and the staff really tried the best and was friendly and responsive, but the hotel is simply not a nice hotel - more of a 2 star sort of dive for the price of a 4 star hotel. The entire building smells like smoke. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone ever.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
eunice c, Marketing Manager at J Plus Hotel by YOO, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear BrooklynTraveller30 ,

Please kindly accept my sincere apology for the cleanliness of the room . I have shared this comment with our housekeeping team and we are paying extremely close attention to this area. I would be grateful if you have the time to share with me directly with more specific feedback that you may have to assist us to better understand our shortcomings.
Once again, my sincere apologies for such a disappointing experience of our hotel.
We do hope that we can have a opportunity to welcome you back in the near future for a true J Plus experience.

eunicechung@jplushongkong.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Just had a night stay over last Monday. Renovation still going on and can caused a bit confusion and there was no Clear direction / Name reflected on the Hotel exterior upon arrival. (Although after dinner the signage was up )This boutique lobby can be consider too shabby for a 4-Star Hotel. Staff attitude was good though and help us through check in smoothly.
Suite room at high floor was good as is quieter. I cannot imagine those rooms that are lower floor, and hearing the drill in middle of the night can be bad.
Did not take the breakfast as I think getting one from the near by local café / coffee shop would have a better variety.
The nice deco and good location is a plus point, maybe the disappointment only is the over expectation we had establish from the web. Hopefully with the refurbishment done the hotel can do better in the future

Room Tip: Request High Floor
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
eunice c, Marketing Manager at J Plus Hotel by YOO, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear UK17,

Thank you for taking your time to share a review of J Plus. Please accept my apology for the signage during the renovation, I am glad to announce that all the renovation at the lobby has been completed ,once again, apology for all the inconvenience caused .
I was otherwise pleased to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us. We do hope that we can have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Milton Keynes, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We stay in Hong Kong regularly, normally in Kowloon area. However, decided to stay on the Island to be near the rugby stadium. We have used many boutique hotels around the world.... This place is not one! Putting funky furniture into a building does not make it 'boutique'. The customer service was non existent, no warm welcome, no showing you to the room, no explanation of where anything was, no info re. breakfast (which was as several others have stated severely lacking and actually quite insulting!). And I'm going to nit pick now, our bedsheet had a tear in it and the towels had seen better days. Only on our last morning were the staff helpful in getting us a taxi to the airport. This place is part of the Mr & Mrs Smith collection. I think they should reconsider including this hotel. Two positives...our suite was very spacious and the location was fantastic. Overall though a really disappointing experience.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MJSpinks,

Please kindly accept my sincere apology for the inattentive guest service you experienced at J Plus during your previous visit .
It was definitely not acceptable and not the typical standard of service of J Plus , please kindly rest assured that your valuable comments will be shared and be addressed to the guest relation team .
The check-in and welcome procedures will be reviewed and be improved.
Once again, please kindly accept my most sincere apology.

I am sorry that you felt the on-the go breakfast was not up to your expectation , we normally serve the complimentary continental breakfast at the lobby and due to the renovation we couldn't not serve the breakfast as buffet style instead we pre-packed some on-the-go breakfasts for our guests to start their day with. Please accept my apology for limited choices of the on-the-go breakfast. I am glad to announce that all the renovation has been completed at the lobby and we started to serve the continental breakfast with our normal setting again.
Apology for all the inconvenience caused.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to J Plus again in the near future so that we could provide you a much better J Plus experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

The hotel is quirky in design which we really liked. The room was small but lovely. The staff were always wonderfully helpful - every recommendation given was top notch.

The location meant it was an easy walk to everything we wanted as we explored.

Good midday check out with excellent assistance with our bags as we continued to explore.

Definitely would return.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
eunice c, Marketing Manager at J Plus Hotel by YOO, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Hello Jim Q,

Many thanks for taking your time to share a review of J Plus Hotel by YOO.
I was truly thrilled to learn that you had a wonderful stay and our staff were attentive.
We look forward to having you back with us again soon!

Best Wishes,
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

The location is good and bad!.......If you want to be in the middle of the city within easy reach of just about everything then you are in for a real treat. If on the other hand you want a bit of peace of quiet you are going to be disappointed. The noise from the traffic is unbelievable, those double decker buses are really noisy, and there are hundreds of them. We were on the sixth floor. The main problem is the windows, single glazed badly fitted, let in all the noise. Quieter up on the 23rd floor. The hotel lobby was in process of been refurbished when we were there, and now looks very swish.
Breakfast was a bit disappointing brown bag with a small selection goodies.
Staff were friendly and polite.
Room was small, but clean, showers was good, had a small kitchenette, which is a bit odd considering how many places to eat there are within a stones throw(literally) and how cheap they are.
Overall enjoyed the stay, shame about the racket.

Room Tip: For your sanity, go as high as possible!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear swshaw,

Thank you for taking your time to share a review of J Plus.
I was glad to learn that our staffs were attentive and helpful during your stay.
Apology for the limited choices of the temporary on-the-go breakfast . The renovation work of J Plus lobby has been completed and the complimentary continental breakfast are being served at the lobby again , hope that you will enjoy it during your next visit and please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience caused due to the refurbishment.
Thank you for your kind understanding .
We look forward to seeing you again soon at J Plus!

Best Wishes,
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Just because you call yourself a "boutique" hotel doesn't mean you can get away with poor service.

The wi-fi in the room didn't work properly and I had to go to the lobby to make calls.

There was no breakfast although I paid for "free breakfast". They told me I could call and get breakfast delivered to my room.

I did that. 5 minutes later someone knocked on my door and handed me a brown paper bag. Inside was a Kit Kat, a mini carton of milk, "Orange Drink" and a mini box of Frosted Flakes.

I kid you not. It was an embarassment.

Oh, did I mention that the room was so small f you exhaled you would be in the next room?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Eric1682,

Please kindly accept my sincere apology . I was truly disappointed to learn that the service your received was below standard . It's definitely not acceptable and does not reflect the standard of J Plus.
Apology for the limited choices for the on-the-go breakfast. The renovation work has been completed at the lobby and the continental breakfast is being served under the normal setting again. Truly sorry for any inconvenience caused during the renovation .

We do hope that we could have another opportunity to welcome you back to J Plus in the near the future for a much better J Plus experience. Please do feel free to contact me directly in this case.
We look forward to seeing you again at J Plus .

Best Regards,
eunicechung@jplushongkong.com
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is a great hotel in a good location (but the subway is so good in HK that there are no really bad locations) The room was very good for the price - larger than we expected and clean and well fitted out with a small kitchenette.
The reception staff were great and tried to help in all situations. The balcony on the second floor was hard to find but a great retreat for a glass of wine (free from 6-8 pm) in the evening. (Wine was nothing to write home about but certainly drinkable after a hard day's sightseeing.) And they offered a cake and free tea/coffee and juice.
The hotel was under renovation when we were there but it did not interfere with our enjoyment - except that the continental breakfast was a bit weak as it was delivered to your room.

A perfect overnight place for visitors to Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Don't go too high as there are only two elevators.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
eunice c, Marketing Manager at J Plus Hotel by YOO, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Clack1600,

Thank you very much for taking your time to share a review of J Plus.
I was thrilled to learn that you had a lovely stay @ J Plus .We try our very best to keep minimal disturbance to our beloved guests during the renovation period and i was glad to learn that your J Plus experience wasn't affected by it at all . Hope you will love our new look as much as we do and we are looking forward to seeing you again soon @ J Plus.

Best wishes,
Marketing Manager

Been to J Plus Hotel by YOO? Share your experiences!