“A Terrific Way to Experience a Different Hong Kong” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Hong Kong, China
113 attraction reviews
“A Terrific Way to Experience a Different Hong Kong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We are keen hikers and have been living in Hong Kong now for nearly five years. We "discovered" Michael in August 2013. We have since done a variety of hikes across parts of the Territory we never knew existed and others we have seen again with fresh eyes. Michael is good company and a knowledgeable guide. The other participants on hikes have been like minded and great company. I have really enjoyed the moderate weekend hikes. It means I can get out into the countryside at the weekends, get some exercise and enjoy some tasty food in very good company. I can personally recommend Po Toi Island and Beach Bumming and I am looking forward very much to Plover Cove this weekend.

My wife is a keener hiker and likes to do more..... she highly recommends Michael's mid week hikes. During the week the trails are empty and country parks quiet. She likes the fact that there are more opportunities to relax, enjoy nature, get fit and lose weight in the company of lovely people.

Michael is an expert guide who appears to know where all the toilets in Hong Kong are along with the tastiest food in the remotest places. Highly recommended, a must whether you are a visitor or a resident.

Visited November 2013

Sydney, Australia
“A fantastic ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I did a bike tour with Michael recently and it was the best cycle tour I have ever done. His knowledge of the area and it's history was very good and we cycled through some beautiful areas. It was very relaxed, informative and thoroughly enjoyable. He is a great bloke and I couldn't have gotten a better tour guide. If you are hoping for more than shopping, food and your standard sight seeing then hope no more book with Hansens hikes. Whatever your age, interests and level of fitness there is something he can offer which will be perfect for you.

Visited October 2013
Manila, Philippines
11 attraction reviews
“Peak and Dumpling ... No Pain no Gain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Took a private hiking tour with Michael a few days ago, booked him for his Peak and Dumpling Tour. Essentially, it's a 7 kilometre up and down hike from the Peak down to the Pok Fu Lam reservoir in Hong Kong then a short bus trip to Aberdeen for some of the best dumplings I have ever had. That and the cold Tsing Tao beer made up for the pain of going up and down part of the Hong Kong Trail. It was a great way to spend 4 hours in Hong Kong and got me off the beaten track (out of the malls and the usual shopping spree). Michael is a great guide, very interesting, engaged and helpful. I look forward to doing more of Hansen's Hikes next time I am in Hong Kong and more of that cold beer with Michael!

Visited June 2013
Melbourne, Australia
35 attraction reviews
“Excellent tours - great guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I did two tours with Michael in May. The first was a leisurely afternoon bike tour of Yuen Long and its surrounding wetlands. This is a part of HK in the New Territories that as a tourist you would never get to see unless taken there by a knowledgeable, enthusiastic guide, which Michael certainly is. Yuen Long Kau Hui - the old town - is an area you might feel quite nervous about entering on your own but under Michael's guidance its history came alive. The other couple on the tour were from the UK but Hong Kong residents of many years – they enjoyed the tour and got a lot from it too.

The second tour was a full day walking tour of Macau, taken as a private tour (due to there being no other takers). It was certainly strenuous in parts -- steep climbs in high humidity (take plenty of water and a towel) but the sights were worth it. Two notable stops were lunch at the famous Fernando's restaurant and, after a short bus ride, afternoon coffee at Lord Stow’s Café in Colaone Village – the home of the original Macau egg tarts. The genuine article is superior to the imitations we had in Hong Kong.

Then by local bus back to Macau and unhurried stroll through the old town, exploring alleys and narrow streets that few Westerners get to. In fact we were regarded as so exotic that at one point a group a school children buttonholed us to practice their English on and to 'interview' us with their iPhones about why we were visiting Macau and what we thought of it. Well, it's wonderful.

None of this would have happened without a guide of Michael's knowledge and experience. If I get back to Hong Kong I will certainly be taking more of Michael's tours. They were far more interesting that just strolling around the streets in Kowloon or Central. Thoroughly recommended.

Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful morning exploring the New Territories by bike”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have just spent a great morning in the company of Michael Hansen on his Yuen Kam Nam cycle tour of the New Territories. Great guide, very informative and knowledgeable of the area. Took us on a leisurely ride around the wetlands of the New Territories, the highlight being the ferry crossing and the remote 'pub'! Really great way to see another side to Hong Kong, well worth the cost and effort to go there.
Carry a rucksack for your things and take some water.

Visited April 2013