“brilliant and enjoyable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of ibis Hong Kong Central & Sheung Wan Hotel

You added ibis Hong Kong Central & Sheung Wan Hotel to your Saves list
ibis Hong Kong Central & Sheung Wan Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No. 28 Des Voeux Road West, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong, China (Sheung Wan)   |
Ranked #81 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 stars 1,326 Reviews
Dallas, Texas
“brilliant and enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

we booked weeks in advance so we got a pretty good deal, and it was even a huge plus that we booked for a city view room and we got upgraded to a sea view room. the room: it was great, spacious(HK standard), simple and modern but got everything you need, clean, and bright. the location: depends on where you come from and where you go. we came to HK for a weekend trip by train from mainland China, we took the East Rail then MTR from Shenzhen to the hotel so it was a bit of way to go. but if you come from the airport it is relatively closed, we could see the Tsing Ma Bridge from our room. and staying in the hotel: if you go to Central or Admiralty on HK island side, the Tram is at the door steps. but if you go to Kowloon side there are several changes on the MTR, unless of course you take the taxi. another thing i'd like to point out is the lift, there are five of them, but only three go to the ground floor. there was a large tour group staying and they were holding up the lift for they had trouble going up or down, it was funny in a way. lastly, the staff were friendly and helpful, overall it was A plus.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IBIS H, Manager at ibis Hong Kong Central & Sheung Wan Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for giving us an “A+” rating!

We are proud to be one of Asian flagship ibis hotels in delivering well-being at the best price.

For your information, a free shuttle bus (route No. H1) travels between Hong Kong station (Airport Express) and major hotels including us. It serves from 6.12 am to 11.12 pm daily and departs every 20 minutes from Hong Kong station.

We will be honored to be at your service on your next visit to Hong Kong again!

ibis Hong Kong Central & Sheung Wan Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tokyo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Its so wide for one parson.It is so much for Couple or Family use.
room is so silent.It is many many Comfortable.

However, the reception was crowded.
I wait a few minutes to check in and check out.
WiFi is slightly late.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Glad that you had a comfortable stay with us!

Thank you for commenting on our check-in and check-out services as well as our complimentary Wi-Fi services. We had reflected your comments to the departments concerned for further review and improvement. Please be reassured that we always endeavor to deliver well-being at the best price to our guests.

We would extend our warmest welcome to your next stay with us again!

Denpasar, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Was my first visit to HKG in 21 years. This hotel is fantastic value for money. I do not eat much breakfast so did not take the breakfast package. I cannot comment therefore. I really enjoyed my stay there and next time will choose the same hotel. Rooms are not big but for one or two people perfectly fine. The rooms are well designed for the space available. Satff very helpful and friendly. Excellent hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Your great comments do brighten up our day!

We are proud to be one of Asian flagship hotels under ibis brand in delivering well-being at the best price. On a separate, we look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Palmerston North, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was in Hong Kong on business for 9 days and needed somewhere Central- the location is OK but on first arrival can be a bit intimidating if you aren't used to Hong Kong. I travel their often and took me a while to get my bearings. Best way is to just wander around with a map as lots to see-even a Chinese herb garden tucked away between the high rises. Sheung Wan MTR is a good 5 min walk down side streets but I did this several times at night with no problems. Taxis can be hailed out of the front, but also down the side street to beat the queue! The tram is over the road and for $2.30 HK it will take you into central for all the connections. The hotel is on the 5th floor and is a very busy hotel but staff were helpful and friendly. Rooms were spotless and by HK standards quite generous. Shower pressure good , but a teeny tiney cubicle- the floor flooded each time though. Hotel quiet-I was not aware of other guest noise but I found the bed VERY hard (I have a back problem and resorted to pain killers each night). the buffet was average- as a vegetarian very limited options. With the accor discount value was OK but I tended to pick up something from a sandwich bar near Sheung Wan MTR called Grove- a fruit pottle and 2 fresh sandwiches for HK $30. There is a starbucks on the ground floor which is handy if you have to meet someone. One the left side street there is a couple of convenience stores for essentials. Brisk walk to the Star Ferry terminal, very close to Western market. A great locatio if you wish to experience 'old' Hong Kong away from gimmicky tourist things. overall good value

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Finding the Hotel from the TR could be quite a challenge especially when you are with big luggages and kids! The way thru the Western Market could also be a bit of a "shock" to most tourist as it is, as the name itself implies, a market - the last thing you want to be in when you are with heavy loads and tired spirits from a long flight or seasick from the ferry ride.
'But we did find it eventually.

We arrived minutes before 2pm (the official check in time) and was flabbergasted upon knowing that our room is NOT YET READY!
I mean, I would understand if it was early in the morning..but it was already almost 2PM.
They weren't even apologetic about it, so I even had to speak with their Super just to get what I wanted.

Luckily, it was the only problem I had with the hotel.

The rest of the time that we were there were smooth and fuss free.

The hotel was brand sparkling new, and the service was prompt and efficient during the few times I phoned in for an extra towel, an adaptor, etc.

The rooms were okay (although I paid for the "bigger" room in the first place).

All in all, it is a good option especially if you are coming from the ferry from Macau.

On your way home to the airport, the Airport Express Shuttle stops directly in the side entrance of the hotel.

Staying here again will not be a bad idea.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Glad that you will stay with us again for your next Hong Kong visit!

We sincerely apologize for the check-in experience that you had. We had shared your comments with the department concerned for further review and improvement. Please be reassured that we always strive to provide the best possible services along with a comfortable and cozy stay to our guests.

A smart tip for getting to our hotel from Sheung Wan MTR station (Exit C) is to walk along Connaught Road Central on your left side until the conjunction of Des Voeux Road West, then you’ll find our colorful building exterior sits just two blocks away to your left. It takes you less than a 10 minute walk.

We look forward to serving you better again next time!

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I decided to stay in this hotel was it was newly opened and near to the Macau Ferry Terminal.
I was very pleased with the clean and uncluttered room. My parents and children love the harbour view from the room.

However, front desk service lacked the warmth and care. Upon arrival, there was no acknowledgement from the staff. I have to approach the staff and informed him that I am checking in. Throughout the check in process, there was no smile no eye contact. I actually don't feel welcome at all! :-( The same thing happened during my check out. I asked if I can do my check out and he replied "Yes". Then I handed him the key cards. He retrieved my file, made some entry into the system. He then returned me the credit card slip and said to me "That's all". Those were the 2 words he has said to me during the entire check out process. No eye contact, no smile, no enquiry of satisfaction of stay, no bidding goodbye, etc. The interesting thing was I noticed that when they deal with caucasian guests, they seem to be very helpful and friendly.

Being a hotelier, I have to say I was very disappointed with such service experience, especially at an accor brand hotel. Every paying guest of the hotel is a guest and deserve the same kind of service and treatment. At least this is one value which we instill in our people.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
IBIS H, Manager at ibis Hong Kong Central & Sheung Wan Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience that you had encountered during your stay.

We had shared your experiences to the Front Office department for further review and improvement. Please be rest assured that we treat our guests the same in a way to deliver the best possible caring and efficient services since our guests are always in our top priority.

We sincerely welcome you to pay us a visit again and allow us to serve you better next time!

China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Great location when you are coming from Zhuhai or Macau , just at the feet of the Ferry Terminal, only 3 stations by tram from Central .
The bad point very poor organization for the check in , so long big queue and after check in you have to queue one more time to leave your luggage ...
The room has a very nice view of the port , not too small .
Coffee and tea in the room .
Very good deal for the price .

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your sincere comments!

We are proud to be one of Asian flagship hotels in delivering well-being at the best price.

Regarding your check-in experience, we had already shared it with the department concerned for further review and improvement. Please be reassured that we always strive to provide the best possible and efficient services to our guests.

We would extend our warmest welcome to your next stay again!

ibis Hong Kong Central & Sheung Wan Hotel

Been to ibis Hong Kong Central & Sheung Wan Hotel? Share your experiences!