“Unexpectedly GOOD... *_~” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Metropark Hotel Kowloon

You added Metropark Hotel Kowloon to your Saves list
Metropark Hotel Kowloon
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.75 Waterloo Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Mong Kok)   |
Ranked #129 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Unexpectedly GOOD... *_~”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

stayed for 6 nights at new year 2014... Got late flight, checked in at 7 pm, and got our rooms upgraded to the hotel club rooms at the 17th floor, with the same price as we booked.. GREAT..

++ room is clean, looks new and big, really surprised as I read the rooms in Hong Kong are quite small..
++ toiletries & coffee, tee supply always renewed daily..
++ free WIFI, got LAN cable for laptops.. and Internet FAST !!

++ free shuttle bus to Mongkok & Tsim Tsa Tsui every half hour until midnight is very GOOD .. save taxi cost..
++ Hotel only 10 min walk to Mongkok, 15 min walk to Ladies Market..
++ to Temple Night Street Market with taxi only 25 HKD..

++ concierge nice & helpful, they have answers to everything about Hongkong, including taxi costs..
++ small restaurants only 5 min walk from Hotel.. 7-11, circle K, bakery only couple min walk, great to find food for breakfast.. & supermarket just in front of the hotel.. SUPERRR..

-- the housekeeper tend to forgot something after cleaning the room, such as towels or toiletries or coffee supply.. but got took care right away if we asked for the stuff..
-- One room boy was quite rude while took care of our luggage when we want to check out..

** if it is possible, ask for room upgrade at floor 17 to 19, without extra charge, hahaha.. the rooms there better & bigger.. =))
Despite the little misunderstanding at our last day, would definitely stay again in my next visit to Hong Kong..

Room Tip: choose the rooms at the 17th to 19th floor.. I think the rooms are bigger & better.. =))
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
mtphk, General Manager at Metropark Hotel Kowloon, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Magda N

Thank you very much for selecting to stay with us and your comments. We will reinforce the related training programs for our staff to enhance the service and communication skill.

Once again, we thank you for your valuable comments. We look forward to being of service to you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

To be honest when I booked this room for two weeks I had already read many stories on TA about the cigarette smells in the rooms and ways to alleviate them. The price was certainly attractive though given the features of the hotel so I went ahead and booked it anyway.

I'm glad I did because I was pleasantly surprised by my experience.

To begin though when we checked in I noticed the cigarette smell straight away. I ran the air-con at full blast as suggested by other reviewers but this didn't help at all. Not to worry, we went straight back to reception and got our room changed within half an hour. Staff were understanding and very accommodating. The new room still had a faint cigarette smell to it, but it was nothing like the other room, much more bearable.

The Hotel itself isn't the newest, I'll admit. Much of the furnishings and décor are very late 1980's/early 1990's. It's not modern at all, but I actually don't mind that because it's still clean and acceptable.. and strangely comfortable too. The beds themselves were firm, but I was able to sleep far better than I thought I would. I didn't get to try the in house restaurant although there was a very good aroma coming from it when I passed it. The pool and gym facilities appeared to be quite clean and nice when we used them, although a touch strong on the chlorine in the pool. The downstairs Sip Sip Bar seemed a little tacky and cheap to me, but that's okay as I don't drink anyway so it didn't affect me. The views from the rooms were.. well its HK. I don't always expect a lot when it comes to views when I'm back here.

The staff at the Hotel seemed fairly decent to me. I speak both Cantonese and English quite well so I was able to converse with them easily in both languages. They were helpful and friendly. In particular our Housekeeping lady was a champion. Always had surplus fresh bottles of water waiting for us in room and tidied our room the way we wanted it done. We tipped her for being so perfect.

The location whilst not ideal, Isn't too bad either. Directly in front of the hotel is a Wellcome Supermarket if you find you need anything. Directly opposite is a Hang Seng Bank (which is convenient as that's my bank). There are a couple of nice and clean BBQ Diners downstairs where you can eat for under $100 HKD for two people. Also the cake shop at the base of the hotel produces quite nice buns every morning.

The hotel runs a very punctual shuttle bus service that goes in a loop from the Hotel, to Mongkok, then to Tsim Sha Tsui. If you want to go by foot though, Mongkok is a ten minute walk from the hotel. I actually found myself walking a lot but got quite used to it. I even walked back from Kowloon City (maybe 25 mins?). In an earlier post, someone mentioned that the closest MTR station is Yau Ma Tei, this is incorrect. The closest is Mongkok East, but it's better to walk another 5 minutes and go direct to Mongkok itself.

There are only two things I can pick as being not up to standard about the Hotel;

1) The Lifts. They take forever and a day to arrive at your floor. TIP: Make sure you press the lift button on BOTH sides of the hall otherwise the lift will only come on the side which you pressed the button on. They aren't linked together. During our stay one lift was out of order too, but can't fault the hotel for that.

2) The inhouse WiFi that is provided upon request. You are given a small Tenda WiFi hotspot that you plug into the Ethernet point in your room and away you go. These devices are completely insecure open networks. Metropark; you need to lock these access points down with at the very least, a WPA key and provide that key with the hotspot when you give it to guests. The problem is that technology challenged people will just jump onto any WiFi point they can see and not necessarily their own. I was able to remote desktop onto someone else's computer that just happened to be linked onto my WiFi hotspot. This could cause you a lot of legal problems with client data security unless you lock the hotspots down.

Other than this, I was quite happy with my stay. I would definitely consider staying there when I return later in the year. They say you get what you pay for, but in this case; you actually get a little more than you pay for.. and its surprisingly nice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear hamgatan

Thank you very much for selecting to stay with us and your compliments to us. It is indeed a great encouragement to our collective efforts, and, it is our ultimate goal to make every of our guests' stay a pleasurable stay.

In order to upgrade the service performance of guest elevators, we will replace them by those with eco-friendly system. Therefore, there will be one unit of elevators temporarily suspended at each time and it caused the delay of elevator services. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

To improve the Internet speed and cater for the increasing need of WIFI service, we are currently installing high-speed line for WIFI service. In fact, we are studying the feasibilities of extending the service to all guest rooms then reduce the usage of router.

We heartily thank you for your valuable comments and look forward to being of service to you again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed at Metropark Kowloon for 7 nights over New Year. We had previously requested a high level room with no smoking. We were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded on arrival to the Club Floor. The room on floor 16 was great - comfortable bed, chairs and a great size for Hong Kong. It was spotlessly clean.

The housekeepers were excellent and very friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.

The staff were all friendly - I wasn't well for part of my holiday and Choco assisted me to the Doctor next door and translated, and then sent extra water to our room with a nice note - very appreciated!

The location is good - I'm not sure why the negative reviews previously. 10 mins to Mongkok East and Yah Mei Teh MTR stations, and just away from the mania of Nathan Road!

If you want a 'real' experience of HK life, rather than a touristy one, this hotel is a great base.

Drinks are expensive in the Sip Sip bar but then that is just HK prices. Cake shop next door is fantastic!

The only issue we had was near the end of the trip, cigarette smells coming through our bathroom vent. We contacted reception, someone came straight away and deodorised the room. Apparently the floor above (17) is a smoking floor, which is a bit of a shame. Saying that, it didn't happen again after that!

Would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear kelzbelz_04

Thank you for staying with us and your compliment is very much appreciated. It is indeed a great encouragement to us. We will do our best to ensure our guests’ stay a pleasure one.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the smell of smoke in the room. Our housekeeping staff will look into the matter and monitor closely to ensure a fresh environment.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 10 days during Christmas and New Year period. Hotel is well positioned with eazy access to restaurants, MRT and Kowloon markets. Shuttle bus to TST is a good idea. Housekeeping stuff were very friendly. However, this is where the positives end. Sigarette smoke coming through the airconditioning system was a real issue. Sound insulation between rooms was really poor and we were constantly woken up by noise from other rooms. We also had to ring reception a number of times to get them to turn off the music playing through the speakers in the hallway. On top of it all, the hotel did not honour the rate which was booked via Booking.com. We'll be back to Hong Kong shortly, but not to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Michael K

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your valuable comments. We believe that quality services shall not only rely on the effort of hotel itself, but also the "voices of our customers" like yours. And certainly, your comments are of great value to our improvement.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the smell of cigarette in the room. It was probably caused by other guests staying at your floor. Our housekeeping staff will look into the matter and monitor closely to ensure a fresh environment. Moreover, we have planned to renovate our guest rooms from floor to floor, taken into account enhancing the sound proof.

Nottingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We chose this hotel as we could use Avios to book it. We had no problems with check-in or the restaurant or our room. Breakfast was fine with a choice of cereals, pastries, hot items (including Chinese dumplings and rice), toast, fruit, yoghurt, juice, etc, as well as an egg chef who would make fried eggs or omelettes on demand. The heated rooftop swimming pool was fine. We were the first guests to arrive there on Christmas morning and had the pool to ourselves. Lovely!

However, we did have two complaints. The lifts were very slow and despite being four of them we always had to wait as they were often too full to take more guests. Several times we walked down the emergency staircase. Luckily we were only on the 4th floor! A couple of times our room had a smoky smell. Once we actually looked out into the corridor to check there wasn't a fire and the alarm was about to go off because the smell was that strong! But we think it was just filtering through a vent from a room either below, above or adjacent to us. Not good when we were staying in a no smoking room.

It was 10-15 minutes walk to Mong Kok metro station depending on time of day. Mornings were OK but afternoons/evenings the pavements were packed with people too busy playing with their electronic gadgets to look where they were going! We found our own way to/from the airport as when we enquired about the free shuttle we were told by the concierge there was a charge of 110 per person and it had to be booked 24 hours in advance.

There is a Wellcome supermarket opposite the hotel and a mini-market on the corner.

The hotel was OK but glad we didn't pay the going rate.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Maruba

Thank you very much for staying with us recently. Your valuable comments are very much appreciated and the comments enhance the achievement of our ultimate goal to make every of our guests' stay a pleasurable one.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the smell of smoke in the room. It was probably caused by other guests staying at your floor. Our housekeeping staff will look into the matter and monitor closely to ensure a fresh environment.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Firstly, the location was really off. The closest station was Yau Ma Tei MTR which took a good 10 minutes walk and if you know the way well. Other than that, the popular Ladies Market is within good walking distance from the hotel. Secondly, despite what some other reviewers said, there is no free wifi in the room and we had to either use it in the lobby or assess it if we are lucky enough to tap on somebody's computer. Lastly, the hotel is really old with dated furniture and a faded feel.

Nevertheless, I have to give a thumbs up to the hotel staff! The concierge, front desk staff and even all the room service ladies are always happy to help and extremely polite and friendly. The staff of this hotel really made the experience more worthwhile

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear amethystam

Thank you for staying with us recently. To make our hotel your best choice in terms of both facilities and services, renovation work on certain guest floors has just been complete.. Hopefully, you will see our improvement soon.

We are sorry that the free WIFI service is temporarily available in most of the guest rooms, restaurant outlets, and lobby only. In fact, we target to implement the high-speed line for WIFI service to all guests room. In the meantime, we have routers lending to guest upon request. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

With the heartfelt thanks, we are very much appreciated your compliments to our staff. We will maintain our professional service to ensure every of our guest stays a pleasurable one.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed there in early December 2013.

The room facing the rear was reasonable and very clean. The service was excellent. The shuttle bus was easy both to and from the ferry port and is effectively a free taxi which was nice.

Only dissatisfaction was that our room was near the lift which was very noisy throughout the night.

Room Tip: Room in the rear away from the lifts
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear nick h

Thank you very much for selecting to stay with us. We are very much appreciated your compliments to us. We will maintain our professional service to ensure every of our guest stays a pleasurable one.

Please accept our sincere apology for the noise of lift. Our engineering staff will look into the matter and monitor closely to ensure a comfortable environment. And, we have planned to renovate our guest rooms from floor to floor, taken into account enhancing the sound proof.

Been to Metropark Hotel Kowloon? Share your experiences!