I first visited Charterhouse a year ago. At the time they looked to be an affordable business class hotel with full service including porters who'll get you a taxi, a gym, a quiet bar, full buffet breakfast in the cafeteria and a downstairs sports bar restaurant. At the time they were quite ok and up to expectations, however having stayed with them four times since then I've enough data to identify a clear downward trend.
Regrettably this past stay was the worst. The room was dirty with lots of body hairs from past guests swirling around the bathroom floor and around the bed, forgetful service (I booked a wake up call and they never bothered to call so I was late for an important appointment), forgetful and absent bar service (the staff wander off never to return) and lots of other things - like the coffee machine at breakfast needing constant attention and a general lack of hygiene everywhere in the cafeteria, dirty cutlery and also unwashed tea cups in the room too. This wasn't helped by a massive renovation project taking place outside the hotel and huge contingents of loud guests from mainland roving the place in droves - but I can hardly blame the hotel for that.
So it's time to move on. I was hoping to stay there every month but I know that there are other hotels that are newer and snappier at a similar price. So it's goodbye Charterhouse, and I returned the "Charterhouse Card" to them upon checkout as it's useless anyway in that every guest gets a food discount whether they are a member or not.
Sorry to sound so negative. I think the staff tried their best, and indeed management appeared concerned about my missing wake-up call and dirty room, but it had reached the point that in the evenings I was reluctant to return to my room because it was so dirty and miserable.
Time to move on...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel Hong Kong is an elegant hotel, conveniently located at the edge of Causeway Bay in Hong Kong Island. The Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre and Causeway Bay MTR subway stations are within easy walking distance of the hotel. The majority of tourist attractions and business areas are easily accessible within 10 minutes drive. Considering the needs of our business visitors, our hotel shuttle will take you to Hong Kong Convention and exhibition Centre during trade fair and event periods in just a few minutes. For our visitors exploring different beauties of Hong Kong, splendid shopping malls like Times Square, Hysan Place and easy transportation system like Causeway Bay subway station are a few steps from our hotel which will never disappoint you. The Gazebo Restaurant, Champs Bar, Harry's Bar and Lounge and Fitness Room 23 hours a day provides you the relaxing places to enjoy your life and escape from the hustle and speed of the city of the day. Free Wifi is available at all guestrooms and public areas are even make your stay more pleasurable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Despegar.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Charterhouse Hotel Hong Kong
- The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel Hong Kong