“Beware the "S" Signature Dungeon” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel

You added The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel to your Saves list
The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.209-219 Wanchai Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong, China (Wan Chai / Causeway Bay)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #155 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Bangkok
“Beware the "S" Signature Dungeon”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This was a bad hotel experience. A friend has told me the property was fine and I went along with it. Having seen the very special "S" and "Signature" type rooms on their separate website, I though that perhaps and older hotel had refurbished 1 floor and that it would be the exception in an older property.

The SIGNATURE rooms have NO WINDOWS. You read that correctly; their HIGH LEVEL SUPER UPGRADE BUSINESS FRIENDLY rooms HAVE NO WINDOWS. It is located on the 2ND FLOOR.

What do you get in a SIGNATURE room on the 2nd floor ????

1. Upgraded Hallway trying to seem cool and modern - however echoes all interactions between your neighbor and his negotiations with his nightly guests from Wanchai.
2. Room smelled heavily of Mildew.
3. Room was dark and depressing. No natural light. Limited artificial light. Cold.
4. Dirty countertop that needs to be washed.
5. Average bed. Average small sitting area.
6. Tiny tiny tiny 1 seat "business center" with NO PRINTER. Printing requires you to take the ancient lifts to the basement next to the executive offices.

In summary, you get NOTHING SPECIAL. It is a lesser quality room in my opinion than most of their REGULAR ROOMS. The Signature marketing is effectively photographic lies. After 2 nights in this dreadful Signature room FEELING LIKE A COMPLETE FOOL for having paid this price for what I had; I decided to pack up and demand alternatives.

HOTEL PROVIDED ALTERNATIVES

After complaining and arguing back and forth since I had made the mistake of booking 10 nights at this property. The hotel provided some alternatives.

I had a look at their typical and generally cheap "S" Non-Signature room on higher floor ("S" and "Signature" are mutually exclusive descriptors). Nothing special and worn, but at least there was light.

I was also shown one of the Suite rooms. Now, the reader may presume the suite to be an upgrade but the original hotel offer price on the Suite was the same as the "SIGNATURE" price. The Suite was well aged and wreaked of years of smoking in the room. Feeling like I had little choice left, I had the staff remove the screws on the window to force some fresh air in and stay in the room.

The Suites have a small sitting area and desk. It was a nice room and had some light. Nonetheless, after several days in the winter with the windows open for any non-smoke air; I ultimately checked out with the room and all my belongings wreaking of smoke still.

I would also note that the bed was SUFFICIENTLY OLD and WARPED that I removed the bed sheets and slept on the floor in the room each night. Of my 30+ visits to HK, this was the absolute and unconditionally WORST property that I have stayed at.

I highly recommend avoiding this property. Most of the properties that I have concerns with, I would still consider returning to if need be. Between all parties our group billed close to 20,000 HKD on that trip -- management offered no form of refund or discount for the issues. NOT 1$. They act as though they are concerned, but not enough to warrant even a 1% discount or even a complimentary breakfast for the issues. They know what their property is.

Room Tip: Inspect room before paying.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our product and services.

We are sorry for all the inconvenience caused you had experienced on your recent stay in our signature rooms which was definitely uncompromising although with our aimed is to provide great experience and values for all our guests.

Apparently we learn from occasional incident that our front line staff could have oversight to mention to you our signature floor is located on lower level and explaining the windows mechanism should you need to access the window opening.

Nevertheless please accept our sincere apology and be rest assured that your others related comments especially on the cleanliness will be reinforce in our staff trainings to ensure they are competence in providing values to all our guests in any circumstances.

We shall look into these areas deeply for improvement and once again we regret
to learn of your unpleasant experience and we hope you would allow us another opportunity to serve you better.

Thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to your return stay.

On behalf of Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Pune
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This review was long due. I stayed at this hotel during a business trip to Hong Kong. I booked it after seeing the reviews on Tripadvisor. Hotel rooms are cramped, some of the staff at front desk are rude and the breakfast buffet menu gets on your nerves in a few days. Housekeeping staff is efficient and so is the concierge. But I was taken a back by the receptionists rudeness. I reached the hotel at around 11.30 PM, I payed and put my luggage with the concierge thinking that I'll be back around 2 PM which is the official check-in time. But due to lack of sleep I wasn't feeling well so I walked in at 1.45 PM and asked the receptionist if I could get the room. Very rudely she replied that room will not be given before 2 PM and when I went again at 2.10 PM to ask for the room keys she said the room is not ready wait till 3.30 PM. I explained to her that this is unacceptable and I am not feeling well. And so miraculously a room appeared and she gave me the keys. After seeing this behavior, I decided to find myself another hotel. Which I did and am happy with my decision. HK has lot of good hotels so think before you book this one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
tonywongHongKong, Manager at The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our staff service.

We deeply sorry for the behavior you had experienced upon your arrival which is uncompromising, rest assured your comment had been taken seriously with our team at the reception for improvement.

Nevertheless, we wish you would allow us another opportunity to serve you better and kindly make me your direct contact if you decide to stay with us again on your next stay.

Once again thank you for providing us this valuable feedback and we shall look forward to welcoming you again.

Venice
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I found this hotel in major need of upgrades. My room smelled, the carpet had spots rubbed away, and was just dingy. The food was awful...I ordered tempura soft shell crab and vegetables, but the batter used was not panko (as traditional tempura) but more like batter used to fish and chips. Also, I called the front desk for a plug converter (I am from the US) and was told they were all gone and I could buy one from the mini bar. I was obviously annoyed by this response and when I voiced my annoyance, the staff said they would get me one. Ten minutes later, 2 chargers came to my room. The fact that I was told there were none, then to have 2 show up makes me feel that the hotel was trying to swindle me into buying one. I found the staff to all be very pleasant, however I would never stay here again. I felt dirty just being in the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our service and product.

We are sorry to put you into such experienced especially concerning the plug adapter which was unreasonable, rest assured your comment had been taken seriously with our key personnel for major improvement including the food quality served in our outlets.

Nevertheless, we appreciate if you would allow us another opportunity to serve you better and please make me your direct contact on your next stay.

Titusville, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

The room was clean and perfectly adequate. I did not have the correct adapter for my electrical needs, but a visit to the front desk provided one for me to use.
Internet is $100 Hong Kong, about $13 US per day for in room WIFI! Good location. Within walking distance of Victoria Park. Lots of places to eat nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that our overall product and service had met your expectation, also our location which will provide easy access to many places of attraction.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The location is good if you have business in the Wan Chai/Causeway Bay area. It is right the two MTR stations. The service is good and very responsive. If there is a problem, the people will hustle and act quickly to resolve it. Good value for money overall.

Room Tip: Insist on higher floors on the mountain side. The view is great. I have been is multiple rooms a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our service and location.

Indeed we are located close to Wan Chai / Causeway Bay MTR station which will provide easy access to many places of interest including shopping.

Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Late August spent three nights here on the top (Business) floor. With my flight arriving at 11:30 p.m. I was worried about checking in late at night. Check in was a cinch, and I was in my room within 10 minutes of arriving.

The room size was adequate, space in HK is limited and I expected the room to be smaller based on some of the reviews here. There was a desk, internet was free and worked perfect. Best of all the bed was large and comfortable and the air conditioning a gift from heaven. I have not slept that well in a long time.

I will definitely stay here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: Business floor (20th), non smoking and comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are glad to learn that our overall product and service had met your expectation and making your stay more memorable and confortable.

Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

If you are on a business trip to Hong Kong and want to stay as close as possible to the commercial center of the city - Times Square & Causeway Bay, then I'd recommend staying at The Charterhouse Hotel at Wan Chai. Located at a walking distance from Causeway Bay MTR, Times Square, Sogo Shopping Mall and many more connected areas on the Island, the hotel is comfortable, neat & well maintained. Rooms though are small, wifi connection is fantastic and the food is above average. The travel desk is very helpful to guide you to move around anywhere in the city. What needs urgent attention though is a quick renovation of the hotel bathroom facilities - most rooms (I have stayed in this hotel twice) have old bathroom fittings and need urgent attention. All in all for the price and the location, it's worth crashing for the night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor. We truly appreciate your feedback made on our service, product and location.

We are glad to learn that our overall product and service had met your expectation, in particularly our location which provide easy access to both Wan Chai / Causeway Bay MTR with lots of shopping outlets nearby.

On behalf of Hotel Management

Been to The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!