This was a bad hotel experience. A friend has told me the property was fine and I went along with it. Having seen the very special "S" and "Signature" type rooms on their separate website, I though that perhaps and older hotel had refurbished 1 floor and that it would be the exception in an older property.
The SIGNATURE rooms have NO WINDOWS. You read that correctly; their HIGH LEVEL SUPER UPGRADE BUSINESS FRIENDLY rooms HAVE NO WINDOWS. It is located on the 2ND FLOOR.
What do you get in a SIGNATURE room on the 2nd floor ????
1. Upgraded Hallway trying to seem cool and modern - however echoes all interactions between your neighbor and his negotiations with his nightly guests from Wanchai.
2. Room smelled heavily of Mildew.
3. Room was dark and depressing. No natural light. Limited artificial light. Cold.
4. Dirty countertop that needs to be washed.
5. Average bed. Average small sitting area.
6. Tiny tiny tiny 1 seat "business center" with NO PRINTER. Printing requires you to take the ancient lifts to the basement next to the executive offices.
In summary, you get NOTHING SPECIAL. It is a lesser quality room in my opinion than most of their REGULAR ROOMS. The Signature marketing is effectively photographic lies. After 2 nights in this dreadful Signature room FEELING LIKE A COMPLETE FOOL for having paid this price for what I had; I decided to pack up and demand alternatives.
HOTEL PROVIDED ALTERNATIVES
After complaining and arguing back and forth since I had made the mistake of booking 10 nights at this property. The hotel provided some alternatives.
I had a look at their typical and generally cheap "S" Non-Signature room on higher floor ("S" and "Signature" are mutually exclusive descriptors). Nothing special and worn, but at least there was light.
I was also shown one of the Suite rooms. Now, the reader may presume the suite to be an upgrade but the original hotel offer price on the Suite was the same as the "SIGNATURE" price. The Suite was well aged and wreaked of years of smoking in the room. Feeling like I had little choice left, I had the staff remove the screws on the window to force some fresh air in and stay in the room.
The Suites have a small sitting area and desk. It was a nice room and had some light. Nonetheless, after several days in the winter with the windows open for any non-smoke air; I ultimately checked out with the room and all my belongings wreaking of smoke still.
I would also note that the bed was SUFFICIENTLY OLD and WARPED that I removed the bed sheets and slept on the floor in the room each night. Of my 30+ visits to HK, this was the absolute and unconditionally WORST property that I have stayed at.
I highly recommend avoiding this property. Most of the properties that I have concerns with, I would still consider returning to if need be. Between all parties our group billed close to 20,000 HKD on that trip -- management offered no form of refund or discount for the issues. NOT 1$. They act as though they are concerned, but not enough to warrant even a 1% discount or even a complimentary breakfast for the issues. They know what their property is.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel Hong Kong is an elegant hotel, conveniently located at the edge of Causeway Bay in Hong Kong Island. The Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre and Causeway Bay MTR subway stations are within easy walking distance of the hotel. The majority of tourist attractions and business areas are easily accessible within 10 minutes drive. Considering the needs of our business visitors, our hotel shuttle will take you to Hong Kong Convention and exhibition Centre during trade fair and event periods in just a few minutes. For our visitors exploring different beauties of Hong Kong, splendid shopping malls like Times Square, Hysan Place and easy transportation system like Causeway Bay subway station are a few steps from our hotel which will never disappoint you. The Gazebo Restaurant, Champs Bar, Harry's Bar and Lounge and Fitness Room 23 hours a day provides you the relaxing places to enjoy your life and escape from the hustle and speed of the city of the day. Free Wifi is available at all guestrooms and public areas are even make your stay more pleasurable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Priceline so you can book your The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Charterhouse Hotel Hong Kong
- The Charterhouse Causeway Bay Hotel Hong Kong