“Nice hotel for a nice price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of South Pacific Hotel

You added South Pacific Hotel to your Saves list
South Pacific Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.23 Morrison Hill Rd, Wanchai, Hong Kong, China (Wan Chai / Causeway Bay)   |
Special Offer
Save 15%
Ranked #169 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Nice hotel for a nice price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed here in January of 2013. It is difficult to find a decent hotel for anything less than $200 a night, especially on Hong Kong Island. The hotel was decent, not in a horrible area, and about a 5-10 minute walk from the Causeway Bay MTR stop on the Island line.

The rooms and especially the bathrooms are crazy tiny. I literally stepped over the toilet to get in and out of the shower. I don't think this was bad though. I would rather pay less for a small, but nice room. Than for something bigger. Breakfast was about $12 and was an all you can eat buffet with plenty of western options.

Room Tip: Even the rooms with a city view are fine. You are far enough away from the water that I would say do...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have never heard of South Pacific Hotel before until it was recommended to me by a friend when my wife and I were planning for our trip to Hong Kong recently. I was rather hesitant to even consider it initially as I am very much a creature of habit plus I was a little turned off by the name (just my idiosyncrasy). I was very much hoping to stay in the hotel at Tin Hau when we were in Hong Kong 3 years ago but the rate of the rooms have almost doubled since thanks to the influx of Main-lander tourists. We finally decided to go with this hotel after reading the mostly favorable reviews on Trip Advisor and we opted for a corner suite on the higher floors and I knew I have made the right decision when I emailed the hotel regarding the availability of a voltage regulator and I received a very courteous response with 2 days.

The convenient location of this hotel has been well mentioned by other members so I will not repeat that again. The staff in the lobby, may that be the concierge, doorman, bellhop or the front desk clerks were extremely helpful and courteous. We woke up one morning and the Wi Fi in the room was down and a staff responded and had it fixed in 15 minutes. Two staff that I must compliment is the East Indian doorman with the beard who was helpful and polite but dignified and the other one is a stocky Chinese lady who works in housekeeping who tried very hard to work her schedule into ours and apologized profusely for disturbing us whenever we were in the room when she came in to tidy up.

Contrary to what certain members wrote, we did not find the bed too hard and I love the warm toilet seat with the bidet functions. While there is no English instruction, anyone with a little imagination and open-mindedness can figure out the pictorial directions. Our bath tub was large enough for two although I found it somewhat hard to get in and out of the tub. And yes, the hair dryer was in a very place but I will let you, the future guests to find out.

I had eaten breakfasts in the Grill on the 2/F on a few occasions but soon got tired of the same food everyday. I would rather be eating congee, rice crepes and fried Chinese doughnuts that are easily available in that area. I have eaten at Lo Lo, the Shanghainese restaurant and I find the food different but not memorable. For the occidental tourists brought up on greasy spoon Chinese food, I would strongly suggest that you stay away unless raw crabs and raw miniature mussels steeped in Chinese liquor are your cup of tea. Service is efficient, polite but lacking in substance. For those of you who want Chinese food at its bests, try the Dragon Seal at 101 ICC which can costs over $2000 HKD per person for supper. You will be looked after by 2 servers during your entire meal. Everything has a price in HK, service included.

Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Reception nicely decorated, staff smart and pleasant, fairly good English. Room small, adequately furnished, window sealed shut (no fresh air!), aircon unit rattly, bathroom has no extractor fan or independent ventilation. Tiny bathtub, excellent shower, ridiculously over-complicated multi-function toilet, all instructions only in Chinese! Bed is a slab of concrete. Absolutely appallingly hard.
Internet access is good, there's a TV and DVD/Skybox device, but no instructions - we had to figure out for ourselves how to use them, and never did conquer the DVD/Skybox player. Lights are controlled by switches, or by an absurdly over-complicated bedside unit- again, difficult to use, and no instructions.
Lots of noise from corridor as our room was near the lifts - people seem to think their voices won't be heard! Mistake... we actually had to go out one night and ask them to keep the noise down.
LuLu restaurant in basement is worth avoiding - very expensive, very empty, poor service. Big language barrier. We ate there once, sat with dirty plates for nearly half an hour after finishing while staff just stood around.
Cafe on 2nd floor is excellent for breakfast and evening meals alike. They speak English! They're friendly!
7/11 shops and other local outlets nearby, scruffy crowded area like everywhere else downtown, but not threatening.
I wouldn't stay here again mostly because of the room problems - I haven't slept well in five nights, combination of rock-hard bed and lack of fresh air - that apart, it's an 'okay' hotel.
Mr. Singh the doorman is a sweetie and very helpful indeed.

Room Tip: Check the bed before unpacking and complain if it's too hard for you! They may produce more pil...
Europe/Rome
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

¨+
Good location
only 10 min walk to Kowloon Ferry at Congress center
good service with storing suitcases waiting for flight and getting a taxi on time (about 340$HK to airport)
friendly
gave us smoking room against request
kept a reservation off 1000$HK on credit card 9 days after we left despite saying they removed it
small room as often in HK
not so clean

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights from 26 December to 30 December 2012.
The location is perfect - near Times Square and great shopping and there are plenty of places to eat just outside the door.
I must mention the excellent service - the concierge were well informed and excellent at answering our questions, and any requests were handled efficiently and with a smile.
Next time I am travelling to Hong Kong I will be staying here

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Researching hotels in Hong Kong I found this one to be below the average price, but at the end of my stay I really felt like I've done a good deal. Rooms are big enough, clean and service is quite ok. Plus, they were really honest in making me pay only 1 and a half day when I checked-out even thou I've booked for 2 nights and the agency said I would have to pay for both if I leave before.

Location is on Hong Kong Island between Wan Chai and Caseway, which is not bad and just 5 minutes taxi ride from Hong Kong airport station. So best way from the airport is to get the train then a short 20 HKD taxi ride.

Room Tip: You don't have to get a bay view room because mountain view is also quite nice (and cheaper).
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I actually chose this hotel after reading some reviews from Tripadvisor. As many have mentioned, the location is superb. Less than 5mins walk and you are at Times Square, Causeway Bay. Food is never a problem as there is plenty to chose from and if you are keen for supper, there are eateries just round the corner.

Room is basic, clean and comfortable and the room that i had on the 16th floor faces Happy Valley. Wish that the TV is bigger and the hotel supply complimentary bottle of water though. In terms of amenities, hotel doesn't provide cotton buds and cotton wool. So bring your own.

I took the airport bus to the airport and i understand the service runs every hour. It cost abt HK$150. Just approach the concierge and they will be happy to arrange. The journey was very nice and comfortable (in a big coach) and it takes an hour to reach the airport as the bus goes around afew hotels to pick up guests as well. I was glad that the concerige was very helpful and helped me bring the luggage to the coach.

As for drawbacks, i went to the gym to take a look and was dissappointed. It was too small and not condusive for exercise.

Overall, nice and comfortable!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing Happy Valley
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to South Pacific Hotel? Share your experiences!