“Great hotel in a bustling Kowloon neighborhood” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Plaza Hotel

You added Royal Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Royal Plaza Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.193 Prince Edward Road West, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Mong Kok)   |
Ranked #38 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Oslo, Norway
“Great hotel in a bustling Kowloon neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I stayed in a deluxe room for two nights toward to the end of May, when the weather was hot and wet. The hotel is best accessed through the Mong Kok East MTR station/adjoining shopping plaza, which offer good transport links and dining options. Be advised this station is not on a line that goes directly to Hong Kong island where the main sightseeing is - must change at two stations to get onto the Tsuen Wan (red) line. Mong Kok MTR station, which is on the Tsuen Wan line, is a 15 minute walk away.
The hotel lobby is large and active, with a strong smell of air freshener. The staff checked me in quickly and efficiently, though this was after 9pm. The room was spacious with a large work desk lining one side and a bed in the center. The other side of the room was curved. The bathroom was surprisingly large with a bathtub and separate shower. Little details impressed me, like USB ports built into the bedside furniture to let you charge devices without using a power socket. They also provided an ethernet cable, which is not that common but thoughtful. Internet was fast though xvideos.com was blocked. Plenty of wardrobe space for hanging clothes.
The breakfast buffet was standard with various Western and Chinese options. I ate a lot of smoked salmon and enjoyed the omelette station. Sliced fruit like watermelon and melon was available, but not whole pieces like apples or bananas to take away for healthy snacking later.
I checked out at 11am and there was a queue of 10 parties ahead of me.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Waco, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel for four nights. (6/26-6/30) The rooms were very modern, clean and nice décor. They were pretty compact though. It is in a great location, attached to a mall with lots of food options and a metro station. The pool was great, although they have staff watching you like a hawk when your swimming. No horse play allowed what so ever! The room service was okay, had to order a couple of times when we were tired of the Asian food and to tired to leave. My one complaint was that when I packed I left some jewelry. I almost certain it was in the bathroom. I had also left some items for the housekeeping that I didn't want to carry back with us. When I inquired about my jewelry I got a response that it was not found. Oddly enough nether were the things I purposely left! It is a nice hotel, with that being said, I know it was my fault but their housekeeping staff is not honest at all!

Kopavogur, Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed one night in Royal Plaza Hotel. A modern, nice and newly renovated hotel in Mongkok, Kowloon.A bit long queue in the reception desk. But the room is large, clean and new. We re satisfied with the hotel plus the internet is so fast and free of charge

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Finally a hotel where the professional photos actually look identical to the room!

Pros:
-good service
-great toiletries
-extremely clean
-right above MTR
-connected to shopping centre
-free airport express shuttle to hotel

Cons
-Very limited TV channels
-Beware of happy hour at 'Lion Rock', it is a bit misleading

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I just stayed @ Royal Plaza hotel in Mong Kong area.

Location wise is ok. Just beside Mong Kong East MTR. But to take the red line Mong Kong Station will have to walk for around 5mins.
This is the con for the hotel.
Although the hotel do provide shuttle to Prince Edward MTR, the frequency is not alot.
Even the airport shuttle K5 requency is better.

The hotel is within this shopping centre call New Century Place. U can go for movies or KTV there if you like.
It's a 3mins walk to the shopping area Fa Yuen Street.
About 5-8mins walk to Mong Kong!

Room is quite spacious as we booked the family suite. Clean and well maintain.
The bed is really good! It's a Seally!
However, the housekeeping/ hotel can be more attentive in small points like the necessities provided.
There are 4 adults but we were given only 2 sets of toiletries. 2 coffee capsules.
And everyday we have to call the housekeeping for extra sets.

Room Tip: We actually upgrade our family suite to be able to sleep on a Seally bed.. which i find it a total b...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I stayed here with my husband and two children 23rd June for 5 nights. The hotel was incredibly well priced for Hong Kong and is one of the few hotels in the city that is able to offer rooms for 4 people. I rang and spoke to the reservations who were incredibly helpful - excellent service. We booked to stay on the Club Lounge floor - it wasn't too much extra and was so worthwhile with breakfast included (in the lounge or the main restaurant) and snacks, afternoon tea, canapés and drinks available all day long (great for constantly snacking kids).
The extra money paid off immediately when we arrived at 7am and immediately bypassed reception (though it wasn't busy at that time) straight up to the exec dedicated check-in. They ushered us over to the breakfast whilst dealing with the check-in and had our luggage brought up. They then gave us the use of a meeting room to sort out luggage out so we could get our swimmers and go up to the swimming pool and health suite to relax and refresh. The pool is divine - and fantastically warm - the way all heated pools should be - and there is a great Jacuzzi and bar area. we felt so good afterwards we were able to go out and have a whole day sightseeing before returning to our room where our luggage was waiting.
The room is contemporary, great finishes and very spacious - plenty of room for the 4 of us. Each day the staff were great, the service helpful and prompt and the food good. we ate often in the (new) foodcourt in the shopping centre just beneath the hotel where there was an excellent choice of SE Asian food. We walked to the night markets and surrounding local markets plus had great shops on the doorstep. We used the walkways to Mongkok main station and caught the Red Bus tours from there and went all over Kowloon and the Island. We had a full day at Disneyland and managed all the major tourist attractions - and it was so nice to come back and relax in the pool each night.
Six months previously I came to HK and stayed at the very plush Langham Place (a girls weekend away rather than a family holiday). We stayed on the club lounge floor and it was great (vodka bar in the lounge and a lot of food throughout the day). But, by comparison it cost an arm and a leg; the Royal Plaza was just about half the cost and was just as good for a cheaper option - they are located about 10 mins walk from each other. It did really help that I knew my way around and we saved lots of time working out the walking routes but the hotel made it a great holiday. I cannot recommend them enough.

Room Tip: Go as high as you can and preferably the 18th and 19th Club Lounge floors
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel is located in a terrible location. The MTR station Mongkok East is not located along the main MTR line.Walking to the Mongkok station takes more than 10 minutes on a dirty bridge. If you wish to go anywhere from Mongkok East station, hope you have strong legs because it involved a lot of walking.

The hotel employees are also extremely inconsiderate.Even though I put up the Do Not Disturb signboard outside my door, they still come and pressed the bell. On another occasion, they had a fire drill in which they rang the fire alarm for 30 minutes. Imagine 30 minutes listening to a ringing fire alarm. You can go crazy here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Royal Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!