“Excellent Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Garden

You added The Royal Garden to your Saves list
The Royal Garden
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.69 Mody Road, Tsimshatsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Offers & Announcements
BookDirect Save up to 25%
Ranked #83 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stay in this hotel last week. Though it was only for two nights it was value for money. Breakfast offering was awesome. Service from the front desk to the housekeeping is excellent. The best hotel experience I which I will never forget.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Indonesian first
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed 4 nights here as we got a good internet deal on a club room compared to other hotel prices in Hong Kong. We had a club room on level 12 and the room was quite small, although I believe that is standard in Hong Kong hotels. The room was clean, modern and nice enough though, and was serviced by housekeeping each day to a high standard. We found the bed to be too hard, and for me the pillows were too soft. We had a harbour view between two nearby buildings and the hotel is one block from the waterfront. The club lounge was very nice and staff there were very friendly. We had breakfast each morning in the main restaurant rather than in the club lounge, and while it wasn't the widest range of breakast choices I have experienced, all the usual offerings were there which was good.

The hotel is in a convenient location in TST and is just a few minutes walk to two MTR stations. Hong Kong island is just two stops away and the MTR is very safe, efficient and user friendly. If you take the airport express train from the airport to central station there is a free shuttle bus (K3 i think?) that you can take from central to the hotel. The shuttle bus goes every 12 minutes and stops at the Regal Kowloon hotel which is next door to the Royal Garden. The hotel entrances are only a few metres from each other.

We didn't have dinner in the hotel (a couple of nights the club lounge canapes were enough to be our dinner) and the other nights we preferred to eat out. We did order a midnight meal from room service one evening though and it arrived quickly and was delicious.

Staff at the front reception weren't overly friendly but the girls at the club lounge reception on level 12 were always nice and friendly and the club lounge staff were very good and attentive.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lucknow, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

The hotel is very nice , The front desk staff is excellent , the abience is like 5 star rated hotel with room clean and the bedding is very comfortable. The location is good the hotel is nearby many shopping place.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor front view rooms
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Had a suite room so the room was huge.

Pros: The staff made the bed everyday and sent us the weather report everyday which was really good since we just came back and there were threats of typhoon and storms. The suite room was big with both shower and bathtub. There is also a TV so you can enjoy your spa with the TV on. The concerige is friendly and able to provide very good information like how to get back from ocean park by public transport. Even if they were unable to, they will search the internet for you. I am highly surprised that they did not know what roast pigeon is though. There was a bear provided free of charge and we also lost the room key and we were advised not to worry about it. There are 24 hour eateries so you can come out and eat your supper.

Cons:
No one offered to help with the luggage. I was resting my feet on the carpeted floor and am quite upset when the floor staff corrected me by sign language to put on my slippers. It upset me some as I find it illogical since the carpet was meant to be stepped on anyway. The place is crowded 24 hours a day. There was no clothes line in the room. We have ceiling to floor glass walls with blinds. It was nice at first sight but it looked out onto old rundown buildings so it sort of defeated the purpose. They sent us the weather report but did not let us know about the PSI which at that time was 137. Super hazy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Minneaoplis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I really like this hotel. The thing about this hotel that makes it superior is the staff! The rooms are nice and comfy, if a bit small, but the staff is superb, and make up for anything lacking in room size. I once was ill while staying here, had to have a dr. Come to the hotel and then have medication delivered. And with my medication was delivered a pot of hot water with honey and lemon, and a note from the manager wishing me well and saying don't hesitate to call if I needed anything. I actually teared up a little! But aside from this experience, the staff at the executive club is excellent, the happy hour and breakfast are always good, fresh and not too challenging. The recent room renovations have added a touch of elegance to the place and the restaurants are really quite good. All in all, a home away from home, just like they hope it will be.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have stayed in Hong Kong many times and this whilst not a bad experience it just was not what I was use to. The Royal Garden is East Kowloon and a reasonable (Hot and Humid) walk to the main shopping area and other Kowloon sights.

The rooms are well equiped and to a high standard but quite small, I was there by myself on business but I imagine two people would be constantly in each others way, plus if you fully unpack your bag like i do the room was lost.

The view of the harbour was bloked by a large building in fron so higher floors than 6 that I was on should be better.

Breakfast was reasonable but much like any other buffet type breakfast in the Far East. There are some great restaurants in the Hotel, Sababtinis in particular, but very very expensive.

My biggest gripe is that I wanted a late check out, bearing in mind I only got to the hotel at 11pm, to get a 6pm checkout cost me £100, so the total i paid for 19 hours was £300. Plus I had to pay an extra £12 for 24hour internet access. Then to add salt to the wound when I did check out and had a pre flight drink the the hotels Martina Bar (£6 a pint) I could not use the 24 hour Internet I paid for, and as I had checked out no one showed the slightest bit of interest in helping me, they did still show interest in getting a tip though.

All in all the minor service issues let this place down, I wont stay again I will revert to the Marco Polo hotels in the Ocean Centre.

Plus a word of warning or some may find it as a tip, the area is swarming with prostitution, I was on the phone to my wife and got approached twice, even though there was a strong police presence. Although some western men did seem to be enjoying the 'facilities'.

Room Tip: Even number rooms they face the harbourside, although a restricted harbour view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hotel was in a great location and good for what we needed. The hallways looked a bit rundown but the rooms were in good condition.

Only bad thing about this hotel was the fact that they served shark fin soup at breakfast - so not PC and turned me off a bit.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Royal Garden? Share your experiences!