“Not what I expected from a Budget Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Panda Hotel

You added Panda Hotel to your Saves list
Panda Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.3 Tsuen Wah Street, Tsuen Wan | Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong, China (Tsuen Wan)   |
Ranked #145 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
3.5 of 5 stars 938 Reviews
Shah Alam, Selangor
“Not what I expected from a Budget Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stayed there for 4d3n in January 2012 with husband and 3 yr old girl. First time in HK. Decided to stay at Panda Hotel because it was the cheapest offer on AirAsiaGo (package which includes return flights and hotel). Checking in took some time but we were entertained by the various sizes of panda teddy bears around the hotel lobby and the comfy red seats provided. I was quite surprised when we got to our room because it was quite near to the lift. (Normally we would get a room really far from the lift because of the cheap rates we paid for the room). The room was kinda small, with two single beds and a sofa bed, but just nice for the three of us. Room service came immediately to set up the sofa bed and they provided extra towels and toiletries. Room was modern, quite clean and comfy with a flat screen tv. The toilet was also quite clean and we had fresh towels daily. The nearest MTR station was Tsuen Wan which was about 5-10 mins walk from hotel via a covered walkway. Although the hotel is not in the city centre, we didn't mind the traveling because of the efficient MTR system.

Overall, I was expecting a so-so hotel but was surprised that I actually enjoyed my stay there. No complaints and I wouldn't mind staying there again if I were to go to HK again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I had reserved an Executive Suite for my family and relative of 3 early January 2012 for 7 nights. My family were treated with such discrimation and poor level of service during their entire stay.

1. The room was charged under my credit card and I had even asked the staffs that all fees and other misc fees my family would incur be charged under this card. Upon arrival, prior to their check in they were REQUIRED CASH deposit for the ENTIRE stay. This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

2. The entire time during the check in process they were stared down and looked down upon by the front desk staff. To make matters worse, the breakfast area is located at the executive lounge. And each morning they must pass this front desk only to be greated with DISCRIMATION.

3. The room they were given were so small, unlike the pictures posted on their website. They had requested an additional bed which was charged on credit card + the cash deposit they provided prior to checking in NEVER came to the room until they had checked out on the last day leaving my poor uncle with neck cramps.

4. The "EXECUTIVE ONE BEDROOM SUITE" which i paid for does not seem to have been provided to my family. From the description of my family, the room they were given is comparable to the regular room which only had 2 twin beds, 1 bedside table between the two beds, and a small coffee table. The Panda Hotel pictures posted on their website is NOWHERE NEAR comparable to the pictures my family had taken of the room.

It is either I had a very high expectation of the hotel which i highly doubt, or they had given my family a regular room but charged me with the Executive rates, or perhaps the photos posted on their site is just to lure and rip off people.

To top it off the toilet was not in proper working order. If you guessed that no one came, then you are absolutely correct. My uncle had to fiddle with it himself to get it to flush.

I can't say that I would not recommend this place. However, if you would like to take a chance of having this type of experience well GOOD LUCK to you.

Jay (California, USA)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Simon T, Front Office Manager at Panda Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
Dear Mr. Jay S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback via Trip Advisor regarding your family's stay at our hotel. Here at The Panda Hotel Hong Kong we pride ourselves on our attention to detail and distinct Panda service however on this occasion it seems we have under performed.

After receiving your family comments through the hotel questionnaire after their check-out, we had investigated the case immediately and extended our sincere apology to you directly by e-mail. Furthermore, to show our sincere concern about the case, we had taken out the extra bed charges from the hotel bill and reverted such charge to your credit card.

However, we had also reviewed the room type which you had reserved for your family to stay is our " Panda Executive Twin Bedded Room " with the extra bed arrangement for three adults but not the mentioned " Executive One Bedroom Suite ".

Thank you once again for your feedback, I apologize for the shortcomings during this stay and do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back and provide a more refined Panda experience.

Best regards

Edmund Yau
Front Office Manager
Panda Hotel
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Here goes on my first time to hong kong for work trip. I stayed in Panda Hotel, Tsuen Wan. It was indeed a gorgeous hotel I've ever experienced. I stayed in an Executive Double room. I'd say it is an elegant room that come with modern decor plus, the room is facing the city view. Desk, television with premium cable channels, tea/coffee maker, shower/tub combination with all bath amenities make me comfortable and at ease. I slept on a king-sized bed even. It was superb!

The next morning went for the hotel breakfast which provides a large buffet spread, while there is also sports bar serves refreshing beverages & screens live sports events (meant for night drink).

The Panda’s central location provides convenient access (free shuttle services) to various shopping and entertainment options (Tsim Sha Tsui and Mong Kok). Hong Kong International Airport and Hong Kong Disneyland are about 25-minute drive from the hotel.

Besides, I'm also happy with the very good service (e.g.: concierge staff are nice & friendly to customers), helpful & courteous staff. I had fresh towels every day, the rooms were cleaned daily, very accessible to the MTR, malls on the lower floors with good, cheap food.
I even extended my work trip to the weekend for self-travelled. Went to places like Victoria Harbour where it was the most amazing moments I had. There is 'symphony of lights' at Tsim Sha Tsui with combination lights, music and narration involves 19 key buildings on Hong Kong Island. The Peak Tram Lower Terminus is easily reachable by foot from the MTR in Central. I enjoyed the fabulous panoramic views of Hong Kong from the 'sky terrace' (highest viewing terrace in HK). Looking for night 'Party time'? 'Lan Kwai Fong' is the place for you, even if you are not a big drinker but its an entertaining experience watching others who over do it. lolz.
Foods like 'Dim sum', 'wan tan mee', as well as the famours Mango dessert at Hui Lao Shan are fantastic! Not forgotten, 'Wong Kok' area like ladies' market, temple street, sai yeung choi street, etc filled with various hawkers food. Most of them sell traditional snacks such as fish balls, fried beancurd (tofu), taiwanese sausages & bubble tea. These snacks and "fingerfood" are very popular in Hong Kong, especially for folks on the run.

Overall, my HK trip was fun & nice. Accommodation in Panda hotel is a very pleasant stay! I do look forward for second time at this hotel if I get the opportunity to travel to HK again. ◕‿◕

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Outside of the city, 5-10 mins walk to MRT nearest station. Hotel room is bigger than those in the city centre. There is a shopping mall below the hotel, mini stores are nearby so it's convenient to run down and get small snacks. Area is not that busy but takes some time just to check in.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I am flipping through the photos here and my rooms did not look half as nice as some of these pictures that other reviewers have posted up. I stayed here because my flight was having mechanical problems and they grounded us until the next day, so I did not choose this hotel or pay for this hotel on my own. I was basically dumped here. Thanks, United! Looking at their website, i got a "Deluxe Room," the cheapest option available.
I was quite excited to stay here because who doesn't love pandas, right? And that wall of little stuffed panda bears in the lobby basically made my head explode because i was squealing from its cuteness! Check-in was a breeze; lobby was updated and modern. Not sure what kind of look they were going for though... Bright red velvet couches and chandeliers ... and stuffed panda bears creeping up from every corner of the lobby and a giant panda mascot sitting at a piano...?
Into the elevator we go... hallway is dark and there was some humming noise coming from somewhere. i felt like i was in a the twilight zone. My room happened to one of the first rooms across from the elevators, but noise wasn't an issue. Room was a huge disappointment. Very outdated; Worn rainbow carpeting; An old orange couch with stains on it. I did not even want to put my bags on it. Beds were plainly made. Tub/sink had hairs in them. Did not use their shampoo and body wash either. Had to wear flip flops when i took my shower. TV was one of those old black ones with a huge back to it. Interestingly enough, my friend next door had a near identical rooms (stains and all) with a small flat screen TV, but the paint on his walls were peeling, so i wasn't that put off by it The bed stand was a giant wooden radio/master light switch controller that played only elevator music. AND there was not a panda in sight!!
Dinner and Breakfast from the Panda Cafe was also included for us. Food was the average, mass-produced, generic tasting buffet. I also did not understand the decor for restaurant either. It's adjacent to sleek/cute lobby so it didn't really match.... there were giant colorful daisies on the wall. Bright green chairs at the tables with paper place settings that had a picture of a plate, fork and spoon on it as if to remind us that is where our plates and utensils go. I felt like I was at an upscale Chuck E. Cheeses.
I don't know if its because its considered a budget hotel or what, but they nickle and dime you for every additional service. A local phone call was a charge. 1 hours worth of internet was HK$40 (US$5). Soda from the Panda Cafe was an additional HK$11(+10% Service charge because pouring soda into my cup was really hard work). God forbid you ask for ice!
Overall, I would not pay to stay here unless i really had no choice. Or until they actually clean and update these rooms!

Room Tip: I stayed on the 18th Floor. Don't get a "Deluxe Room."
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We booked this hotel for a one night transit stopover on the basis of price and proximity to the airport (around 25 mins by taxi and costs pretty much the same as the hotel shuttle bus). The room was modern, spacious, clean and comfortable, with a particularly large bed. The bathroom was well appointed and modern and everything worked as it should. The concierge/check-in staff were very friendly and efficient. We were only there for one night so didn't have a lot of time to explore the surrounding area, but initial impressions are that it's in a bit of a backwater, away from the main tourist areas of Hong Kong. Still for what we wanted it was perfect - highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Apple Valley
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

The rooms are dingy and outdated, lacking basic necessities like an iron and ironing board so it's definitely not a place to stay while for business. Though it is a ten minute walk from the MTR Tsuen Wan Station, it is 20-30 minutes away from Central. For the price, I would definitely recommend the L'hotel nearby or the Courtyard Marriot close to Central.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Panda Hotel? Share your experiences!