“NewTon Inn, North POint” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Newton Inn North Point Hotel

You added Newton Inn North Point Hotel to your Saves list
Newton Inn North Point Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.88 Chun Yeung Street, North Point, Hong Kong, China (North Point)   |
Ranked #319 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
3.5 of 5 stars 105 Reviews

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
SF Bay Area
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2008

I am a Hong Kong native who moved to the San Francisco about 20 years ago, and recently bought a flight+hotel package to go home to visit family. This hotel (located on "Choon Yuen" street) presented as one of the cheapest package options, but I mistook this as the Newton Hotel which is ALSO in the same region of Hong Kong. BE AWARE: Newton Inn Hotel is NOT the same as Newton Hotel (on Electric Road); the latter, which I have visited before, is much more decent and comfortable.

Our first impression of the Newton Inn Hotel was when we arrived from the airport; the limo service stopped about a block away because the street that the hotel is on is actually an outdoor "wet market" -- this is a very crowded street where the locals get their meats, poultry, and fish from the butcher stalls along both sides of the street. We had to wheel our luggage down a wet, filthy street stinking of fish with probably bits of guts strewn all over the pavement. This was the last thing that I wanted to do with my luggage at night after a long flight (or walk through at the end of each day to go back to my hotel). The street was also quite sketchy and poorly lit at night (but safe).

The location is about 2-3 blocks from the nearest MTR subway station; the location is not inconvenient, but having to walk through that market every day got really old after a while.

Our room was on the 27th floor, and was very spartan. The view was great and overlooked a big part of the Hong Kong harbor, but that was the only good thing about the room. The bed was very hard, and it felt like we were sleeping on a boxspring without any sort of padding or mattress. The sheets had stains and looked really cheap (as did the carpet), and the 2 measly towels in the bathroom were the same. Even the towels I use to wash my car has more fluff and are larger! The bathroom was very small and has very little counter space, but was otherwise adequate with good hot water. They do not provide any amenities (shampoo, etc) other than a bodywash dispenser in the shower and a bar of some Chinese no-frills soap. There is a security safe in the room, and a run-of-the-mill desk to write on. Internet is only by ethernet, and costs about $10USD per day. There is air-conditioning and climate control, and that worked okay. The lobby was filled with "mainlanders" from China and is a restaurant. The pool on the roof was closed during our visit, but looked nice from the photos. Overall I would say the comfort and quality of the room was a notch BELOW the Days Inn / Travelodge level in the US, and I would not give it more than 1-2 stars on a standard 5-star scale. The other hotel I mentioned, the Newton Hotel, is more like the Comfort Inn / Marriott Courtyard level of quality.

Our first night was spent listening to this really loud family in the next room talking and packing from 1am to 5am; the walls are THAT thin. Every cell phone ring, zippering of bags, and conversation was heard. My hearing is not that good, but it sounded like they were inside our room. After we complained to the management, they moved us on Day 2 to another room in between two single travellers; that was much quieter and tolerable. We also took the comforter and stuffed it between the "mattress" and the sheets, which helped ameliorate the bed discomfort.

The final part that really took the cake was on the morning of our 3rd day, when I was standing in the foyer of our room and, with a loud thud, the air conditioning duct above me came loose (totally random) and almost crashed down on me (see photo). The hotel service was very quick about coming in and repairing it, but it was just another surprise that went with the rest of our experience.

Overall, I would never stay at this hotel again. I can honestly say it was one of the most uncomfortable hotels I have ever stayed in anywhere on the 6 continents, and was way subpar compared to my expectations given its price and advertisement. I felt it was a bit misleading to name itself after a nicer hotel down the street; if you are looking for another cost-effective but decent hotel in the vicinity, I would consider both the Newton Hotel and also the Metropark Causeway Bay, but stay away from this one.

• Liked — See review.
  • Disliked — See review!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

my over all experience with the place was pretty ok.. well i didnt really expected much since it was really affordable compared to the others but the placce was good

pros..
- it was near mtr station north point
- it was near the electric train station
- the place is teeming with people in the morning
- front desk staffs were nice. they let me changed my 1000 bill into smaller bills
- room was big enough

cons..
- pool was under renovation.
- at night the place is pretty deserted.
- no food (but there are bakeries and 7-11near it )

• Liked — location - near mtr
  • Disliked — location - wet market place
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

What a nice hotel, the staff is impeccable, the rooms are clean, and the water pressure is actually up to North American pressure standards. The layout of the rooms are very logical, roomy showers, bath tubs if you need them, and comfy towels.

The cons: The beds are a little hard by Western standards, the rooftop pool is closed "indefinitely", the high speed in room internet is a bit pricey, no complimentary bottled water in room, some rooms have a kitchenette with no cookware,, and the iron/board needs to be requested by room service. Also, the neighbourhood looks at caucasians rather in an odd/unwelcome sort of way unlike most of HK. Also the day markets with the plethora of fish can be kind of smelly when waiting for cabs.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

I stayed together with two friends (we had one extra bed in the room) at the Newton Inn North Point for 6 nights this february.
The Hotel is located about 3 minutes per feet away from the MTR station "North Point" in a street with a fish and fruits market. The rooms have a good size, one safe to lock passports, etc... one little kitchen corner (but no plates or else) a tiny bathroom (but thats very normal for Hong Kong).
Internet can be purchased for 200 HKD per 7 days,... or even for 2 days (but I don't remember the price)
we booked the Hotel on hoteltravel.com and we paid 596 USD for 6 nights,... it was a big advantage for us as Europeans to pay in USD, because that have been just 400 Euros!!!
I really can recommend the hotel to everyone who wants a clean and good located hotel with a reasonable price.
Have fun in Hong Kong! it's an amazing city!

• Liked — cleanliness, location, internetaccess
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

My partner and I stayed here for 5 days because it was near his family. His family in Hong Kong booked this for us and I have to admit I would have chosen somewhere else.

I will start with the BAD things about the hotel.
1. It is in the middle of the smelly market, and at night its soaking wet (so flip flops are a no no)
2. I was woken up in the middle of the night by my partner who had just killed a cockroche (not good)
3. The housekeeping did not really 'clean' the bathroom floor was sticky and there were stains on the carpets and I found a bit of food in the corner!! (not us)
4. The staff always seemed busy and unfriendly. When I asked for a taxi to be booked to take us to the airport she said 'Depending on the circumstances I might be able to'
5. We received free toothpaste and toothbrush, and slippers and they provide body wash, however we did not receive any shampoo and also on the second night the housekeeping took away our slippers!!
6. The staff at the door did not greet you but just stood there (I think they are meant to open the doors for you when you are carrying lots of luggage)
7. They do not provide room service, however there are food places nearby
8. The walls are pretty thin, we heard people going at it at 3am til god knows what time, we turned the air con to max to block out the noise
9. You cant open the windows
10. The 'business center' for the internet use is a bit basic, the printer does not work
11. We had a little kitchen area in our room with a hob however it did not work as it did not connect to anywires! There is a space for a microwave, that would have been nice. But basically that area is a waste of space
12. The cockroache incident made me quite nervous
13. When we checked out, the staff quickly called housekeeping (i think to check to see if we had stolen anything) Felt that a bit insulting and then we were made to wait for the taxi (I was worried we would be late arriving at the airport) When I had asked several times that we needed to leave at the certain time

The good things about the hotel

1. I actually found the bed quite comfortable
2. The showerhead was pretty powerful, nice showers
3. The room is fairly big, with a nice large wardrobe, desk space etc
4. The did have a fridge at least
5. It is like 5 minutes away from the MTR
6. There are shops nearby

to be honest I dont know how much it cost, as our relatives paid for it, I think it was over 2000hk dollars for the first night, but I probably would not stay there, we only stayed there as my partners family stayed nearby, other than that I would chose somewhere else.

• Liked — location (but not really)
  • Disliked — staff, location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Newton Inn North Point Hotel? Share your experiences!