“A Homecoming” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Grand Stanford

You added InterContinental Grand Stanford to your Saves list
InterContinental Grand Stanford
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.70 Mody Road, Tsimshatsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #37 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
4.5 of 5 stars 1,211 Reviews
Pickerington, OH
“A Homecoming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed in The Grand Stanford three nights in October 2013. In and out one night (10/03/13) - returned later for two night stay (10/06/13 and 10/07/13). I have stayed in this hotel several times over the years - my best guess - at least on nine separate visits to Hong Kong. The welcome from the bell service to check in to valet was excellent. Room was great and well furnished. Bathroom was large - with shower only (thankfully - I hate bath tubs). Lots of towels as well. The 2nd part of my trip - I was upgraded to a harbor view - and what a view it is.

The buffet breakfast on the mezzanine was great - everything you could ever want.

When checking out the 1st night - I left my Rx sunglasses. I called from Shenzhen to inform the hotel. When I returned - a member of management brought the glasses to my room. I tried to tip - but the gentleman said absolutely not. Outstanding customer service.

I hope to return in a few years - but frankly the 15+ hour trip takes a toll on my sadly-aging body. When I return - I will absolutely stay at the Grand Stanford - my home away from home in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Get business card with hotel address on it so return taxi ride will be uneventful. Have front desk...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
John_W_Drummond, Manager at InterContinental Grand Stanford, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Jim R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and with the tripadvisor community, I am sure it will help travelers and we appreciate your feedback on your stay experience.

We are pleased that you stayed with us for your 3 night visit to Hong Kong, we apppreciate your loyalty to the hotel over the years and your detailed feedback.

We do hope that you return earlier than 2 years to stay with us. If I can assist with any arrangements in the future please feel free to email me at any time.

John_drummond@interconti.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

It's worth upgrading to club floor room- harbour view if you can!
The club floor serves chilled champagne ( amongst everything else you may want to sip !) and delicious canapés every evening.
The breakfast is brilliant and the view breathtaking !
Felt the staff were extra lovely too, über accommodating.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear BevandMichael,

We defiantly agree that the upgrading to the club floor room- harbour view is well worth it, we are pleased you enjoyed our champagne, canapés and breakfast, we also agree with you that our Club staff show true hospitality.

We do hope that you both return to stay with us. If I can assist with any arrangements in the future please feel free to email me at any time.

Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Again, one of my business trips! Arrived after midnight, no one to get my suitcases from the taxi and no one to take them to my room! I had to drag them myself. I wouldn't expect this from Intercontinental! No real customer service at the the front desk, definitely need some hospitality training! Rooms are in desperate need of some refurbishment, especially the bathrooms.
Unfortunately as I travel for business to Hong Kong I don't get to choose hotel, as we have a corporate rate. If I did have a choice, I would be definitely choosing different hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Greetings from The InterContinental Grand Stanford, Hong Kong.

Thank you for your taking the time to post a review of our property. I am very concerned that you found no one to take your case from the taxi and no one to take them to my room, this is most unusual and I have addressed this with our concierge, in addition if I could recommend on future visits to book our next category of room being the Premier rooms as they have been newly refurbished.
I would appreciate if you could email me so that I could better understand the booking situation from your company.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I had a good two nights' stay at the Intercontinental Grand Stanford. The staff were professional and considerate - they knew that it was my birthday and helped to upgrade me to a corner room with a view, as well as prepare a birthday cake for me, which was truly nice of them! On this front I'm satisfied and grateful. The room itself was modern and comfortable (and with a great view!), and the service for the most part was great. Only reasons why it doesn't quite earn 5 stars from me are:

- the lobby is incredibly crowded, busy and noisy. When I arrived, I had to wait for quite a while before front desk was available. Which isn't a big issue....except some guests decided to try and cut in front of me. There should be a clearly designated line for the people waiting for the front desk.

- I asked housekeeping to keep and refrigerate the birthday cake for me since I ate so little of it - I even left a note next to the cake asking them to save it. But when I returned that night, the cake was completely gone. Too bad..it was quite good! Still, it was given as a kind gesture, so this wasn't a big deal.

- wifi is a bit of a mystery to me. As a Gold member on IHG, I got free wifi service. But the website's archaic system means that I have to pretend to be buying one day's worth of wifi, even though I'm not charged for it. It was quite confusing initially. Wish that they had a clearer and more transparent system for this.

Dear Werckmeister,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and with the tripadvisor community, we appreciate your feedback on your stay and thank you for highlighting on our professional and considerate staff.

We thank you for your idea of the line at reception, I am sorry that the cake was not kept for you, I have taken this up with our staff.

We do hope that you return to stay with us. If I can assist with any arrangements in the future please feel free to email me at any time.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

To make it short, the staffs at reception are rude and hardly greet and possess warm hospitality to guest. Speak poor English. Waitresses, waiters and second line cook at breakfast room should be sent for hospitality training. Unacceptably arrogant and I considered them being racist most of the time, if not all the time. The waitresses acted like they are being paid HKD 100,000 a month to serve the hotel guest. Very snobbish and unprofessional. My simple advice: if you don't like what you are doing, just quit and find something you are passionate about to do. They are many unemployed Hong Kong civilians waiting to get a job out there. Just be thankful you are offered a job at intercontinental hotel! I considered the name of the hotel and locality 4 stars and service level is 1 star.

I stayed in intercontinental Vienna in 2012, the experience is totally different. (Read my review in intercontinental Vienna)

Will not recommend to anyone and definitely will not come back, period!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
John_W_Drummond, Manager at InterContinental Grand Stanford, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Paipaishu,

Greetings from The InterContinental Grand Stanford, Hong Kong.

Thank you for your taking the time to post a review of our property. I am very concerned that you found our front desk staff to be rude with a poor command of English as well as the waitress in our Café on M restaurant to be rude; you’re finding our staff to be racist is especially disturbing as the management of the hotel do not encourage or tolerate such thinking or culture in the team.

I would appreciate if you could email me so that I could better understand the incidents that took place during your stay.

Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

This hotel offers consistently good value for money, and is often no more expensive than the Holiday Inn Golden Mile, but it's room quality and service standards get close to the InterContinental Hong Kong which is just down the road.

I have stayed here twice in the past two weeks and on my second stay it seemed everyone knew my name.

The Club Lounge is worth paying the extra for with great views of the harbour and skyline (but again it is not quite as good as it's sister hotel).

The one thing that has grated a little on both occasions I have stayed here is the eagerness of the hotel staff to give you a bill. When you are entertaining guests or in a business conversation with a colleague, the requirement to sign it there and then can be intrusive and spoils the otherwise impeccable service standards that I encountered.

However, I will be back to HK again in a couple of weeks and will definitely stay here again. Whilst the other HK InterCon remains one of my all time favourite hotels, I simply cannot justify paying 2,000 RMB more for the experience. :-(

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
John_W_Drummond, Manager at InterContinental Grand Stanford, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear dklondon,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and with the tripadvisor community, we appreciate your feedback on your stay and thank you for the kind words.

It is especially encouraging that you on your second stay our staff recognized you. Your point on the presenting of bill is a very good comment and I will look into this.

We look forward to welcoming you back, please send me an email before you arrive.

malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I stayed in junior suite harbor view with club access
First of all, the location is great. Near to most of attraction and shopping mall, all within walking distance. Some with hotel shuttle service as well.
Close to all kind of restaurant, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Hk style, Italian, American etc
The room is newly refurbish I guess. Comfy king bed, extra soft bed linen, agraria amenities and nespresso coffee machine.
Club lounge - serve variety of hot cold canapy during cocktail and the staff always remember to serve my champagne every evening. The breakfast selection is great as well.
We enjoy our 4 nights here. And definitely I will choose to stay there again

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
John_W_Drummond, Manager at InterContinental Grand Stanford, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear echo_csy,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for 4 nights on your recent trip to Hong Kong and thank you for your comments and for taking the time to post a review of our property on trip advisor. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and services are superior for our guests to enjoy. I would like to thank you for commending our location, Club lounge and breakfast.

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

John_drummond@interconti.com

Been to InterContinental Grand Stanford? Share your experiences!