“A Bit Dated, But Nice Hotel.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Eaton, Hong Kong

You added Eaton, Hong Kong to your Saves list
Eaton, Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.380 Nathan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Formerly Eaton Smart Hong Kong) (Jordan)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #74 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Vancouver,BC
“A Bit Dated, But Nice Hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2007

Stayed here from Sep 2 to Sep 5th. Booked a Suite through hotel's own website. Keep in mind, this was one of their "old" suites, not the new ones with all the fancy technology. Had also booked limo pickup on arrival.

On arrival at the airport, there was no one with my name, so I had to find the hotel desk. Once there however, I was quickly and efficiently taken to the limo downstairs. Quick 30 mins later, I was at the hotel, with nothing but smiles from everyone until I got to the check in floor. As I was staying in a suite, instead of going to the lines (by the way, there were no lines), I was taken to the concierge desk to do a Private check in. Very nice, friendly and efficient service.

The so-called suite was about 370 sq feet, which is small, but it felt ok. Decor was old--very old--looked like it belonged in the 70s and 80s. The TV was a joke--looked like something from 1965. However, all the standard amenities were there. there was even a welcome bottle of Merlot and fruit waiting for me, along with a number of coupons to be used at the hotel (free suit pressing, free appy at the bar, etc). The room was fine, but the bed was really, really hard. Everthing worked as it should in the bathroom, but there was hardly any room to move around.

All in all, I'd say this was a poor man's suite in Hong Kong. But at only $200 a night, it was a steal!

I also had access to the E-Club, which was also a bit cramped and very full in the evenings, but it was nice. Excellent service in the club, very helpful concierge, great drinks and food, nice little breakfast service. Saves you a lot of money, specially considering that a single can of beer will run you about $7 from the mini bar.

Here's a tip: buy your alcohol from any 7-Eleven around the hotel. It will cost you 90% less and you can keep it cool in the mini-fridge in the room.

Location was on Nathan road. About a 5 to7 minute walk to Jordan MTR Station. But I wasn't too fond of the exact area. I prefer being closer to TST, but with the MTR, it wasn't too much of a hassle.

Overall, I had a very good stay. I definitely think they need to upgrade all their rooms and furnishings. AND GET SOFTER BEDS! Service is superb and very friendly. I would probably return there again if I had to go to HK.

• Liked — Superb Service Standard.
  • Disliked — Dated Decor and Furnishings.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

My second visit to Hong Kong in less than a year...I admit I really like this place! My first time, I stayed in Mong Kok so I wanted to try a different location since I wanted to explore more of the areas I didn't get to go to the last time. Most of my planned destinations were going to be more in the south (Victoria Peak and HK Island + a day trip to Macau), but I still wanted to eat and shop up north, so I thought being in the middle of Kowloon would serve me best. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect spot. The MTR was just a few minutes away around the block, and getting here and there was so convenient. I stayed in the "Eaton Room" which wasn't the largest room I've ever stayed in, but it wasn't the smallest either. For a single person like myself, it was just right. I'm sure 2 people it wouldn't be a problem either, unless you enjoy playing catch with a football. It had nice, neat, modern, and stylish decor which made me feel relaxed and comfortable. It also had features, such as iHome (great to plug my iPod and charge/listen to my music), a flat-screen LCD TV and broadband internet access (I didn't have a laptop so didn't get to use). I had a queen bed with feather pillows which were quite comfortable and clean looking which I could really appreciate. Next to the bed was a small desk and chair setup for gathering my documents and looking over my trip dossier. The bathroom was also clean and bright with a modern and stylish sink. Suffice it to say, I was very pleased with my accommodations. I got to use the pool upstairs which was enjoyable. I was taking swimming classes the semester before my trip and I was glad I got to practice my strokes. It's a pretty small pool so I'm not sure what it's like if there were more than 3 people there. My time spent there, I was always by myself so I couldn't complain. Next door to the pool area was the hotel gym. It had a good amount of equipment and free weights to use. Again, the times I used it, there wasn't anyone there so that was cool (no waiting to use equipment). Lots of tvs to distract you and a nice view out the window when you're taking a water break. After, there's a little changing room at the side with lockers and where you can shower. My choice to visit HK when I did was unfortunate because some big tech convention was going on and as a result, hotels all over were booked up and prices weren't what I would have preferred. My costs for 3 nights (including 15% off for 3 night stay) was 3740HKD + 486.20HKD=4226.20HKD ($542.10, or $180.70/night). Kind of pricey for my cheap [--], but it was bad timing on my part plus I deserve a treat one in a while. Probably better rates on a non-convention weekend. But, again, the centralized location and features offered at the Eaton made my stay worthwhile. The hotel overall was very nice and appealing.

• Liked — stylish and modern amenities and comfortable room
  • Disliked — wish price was cheaper
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
L.A.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

I had read many reviews of the Eaton Hotel on Tripadvisor, not quite convinced that it was the best selection, but I booked it anyways in hopes of a good choice.
A few weeks prior to our arrival, I received an email from the Eaton hotel management, asking about my arrival time and flight information. To say the least, I was quite pleased that they were interested in the time of my arrival. And it was not a generic email, it was personalized for me.
My husband and I arrived at the hotel at 7:00 AM, which is way before the usual check-in time. The front desk was able to locate a room for us, but they needed just 1 hour to tidy the room. We left to get some breakfast, we came back just under 1 hour, and our room was ready. I was estatic, we were able to check in, rest, and shower before the day began. The room was very clean, modern and cozy enough for the both of us. The only negative thing about the hotel, is the location. It is located between 2 train station that is about a 5-10 minute walk either direction. The staff was always helpful, and the rooms were always cleaned. The weather was bad, but the hotel stay was FANTASTIC!!!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

After reading previous reviews I was a bit skeptical and unsure what to expect.
However I had nothing to worry about I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly they even allowed me to check in at 8.00am in the morning with not problem and allowed for ong a later checkout without any extra cost. I found the location to be great I could walk easily to all the markets and there were plenty of eating places around.
The concerige was incredibly helpful in organising tours and assisted with transport to the airport. I was impressed to find that they even had a turndown service in the evening which though totally unnecessary was a nice touch.
The pool on the roof was certainly a nice touch, a very pleasant tranquil area.
Sure the rooms are small but that is to be expected in a city like this I would rather have a small clean room with lots of extras than a large dirty one any day.
I wouldn't hesitate in staying again should I be in Hong Kagain.

• Liked — though small it had all the little extras and was exceptionally clean
  • Disliked — the bed was a bit hard
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
Market Deeping, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2007

Lets get this out of the way. One of the best hotels we have stayed in during our worldwide travels. We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

We were here for six days and stayed in an executive room which included access to the E club. Geta room with the e club as you get breakfast, all day tea/coffee and snacks and evening drinks (alcoholic) with nice nibbles ! you also have access to private check in and check out.

The hotel is some distance from the harbour, but this is not a problem as Jordan metrostation is a five minute walk away and you can get all over the place from here. The hotel is idealy situated for most of the major markets, including Temple Street, Jade, Ladies etc.

The staff were at all time very friendly and helpful. Superb, would have no hesitation in using this hotel again when visiting Hong Kong.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — rather small pool, but thats not everything.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
oz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

My husband and I and our 2 teenage children (boy and girl) stayed at Eaton for 4 nights on a stopover going back to USA for home leave. Upon arrival at the airport, we were given the option of the bus shuttle or a limo (which ended up being a better value than the bus). We had a smooth ride via Mercedes to the Hotel. Check in was late and a bit hectic but no problems. However, our rooms were not interconnecting as requested and reserved. Unfortunately, our 2 different sex children had to share a room and the same bed for the night...... Our complaints were heard and of course as the hotel was completely booked, we were unable to change the room until the following day. And, the only room 'available' was several floors below ours. Not really a drama but, had the children been younger, we would have insisted on another option. We also received a 'discount' for the room change which always helps...... There is a significant change in rooms the higher one goes in the hotel floorwise. Our room was fabulous and more than adequate for the 2 of us...........very clean, recently renovated and had a good smell. However, our children's room was dated and smelly......... I would recommend upon making reservations that one request a newly renovated room. The entire hotel is undergoing renovation and will be stunning once it's completed.
We also discovered the Starbucks directly across from the Hotel which became a part of our daily routine.
I would recommend staying here BUT be insistent with reception if there are any glitches at all.
I felt it was a great location and we did LOADS of walking while there and really didn't use any public transport.
The chaos and rhythm of Hong Kong is delightful and I'd highly recommend a 'stopover/intransit holiday' here.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — the disappointment up[on check in and not receiving rooms we requested
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
West Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Reservation : stayed at Eaton for 9 nts. in Jul/Aug. I made reservation via the hotel web-site in May. Between May & July, every time I checked back, price had gone down. I cancelled & rebooked 3 times for better rates - saved HK$3,887.2!
Airport Transfer : Our Executive Rm. package included complimentary shuttle. We were told we had just missed one, and the counter staff was nice to offer us bottle water while we waited. They tried to charge us for 1 person (HK$130) but we refused as it was clearly stated in our reservation that we were 2 adults & 1 kid. They ended up asking us to sign for the bill charged to the hotel. The shuffle was fast & comfortable.
Check-in : As we arrived late at night, the e-Club was closed & we checked-in at the reception. As other trip advisors have mentioned, the receptionists were not very friendly.
Room : When we entered our "Executive Rm.", we were absolutely stunned. The room was small, old, smelly, and looked nowhere close to the photo shown on the hotel web-site. Instead it looked exactly like a Std. Rm. I called the reception, but like other trip advisors' stories, the hotel was full & they could not do anything until the next morning. When we went for breakfast at the e-Club, I talked to the receptionist there, and she promised to move us to another room on the same floor. Our new room was indeed on another side of the corridor, seperated by a door which read "Executive Rms", and it did look like the photo on the web-site. Although the hotel insisted the first rm. we stayed in was an Executive Rm., but we really thought it was just a slight larger Std. Rm. Our new room, although much better, was still quite small, esp. the 2 twin-size beds. We had to move the sofa in-between the 2 beds in order to sleep 3.
Food : On the third morning when we had breakfast, my husband drank some skim milk which had gone bad. E-Club's manager, Mimi, was very professional. She came to our table to appologise and told us if we experienced stomach problem & needed to go see a doctor, the hotel would reimburse us. In general, breakfast at the e-Club was of good standard. On some mornings, we saw management-looking personnel going there to make sure things were in good standard. However, outside breakfast hours, we rarely see any snacks, refreshment, or fruit there. We were never there in the evening when alcoholic drinks were served though. Sometimes, when we returned in the evening, we felt like visiting the lounge to relax & had a light snack before going to our room, but there was never anything in the e-Club, not even cookies.
Restaurant : the Chinese Restaurant there was good, even for locals. Recommend to go for dim-sum during lunch time.
Location : Jordan Metro Station is within walking distance, about 4 - 5 blocks away. It is a convenient location esp. for visiting the night market (Temple Street). Wing On Dept Store (a traditional dept. store) is just across the road. However, it is not a very "central" location. A better tourist location would be Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) on the Kowloon side, or Causeway Bay on the Hong Kong Island.
Eaton is moving from 3-Star to 4-Star standard, but not quite there yet. If pricing is reasonable, we are willing to stay there again, but we'll need 2 connecting rooms, or a Suite.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Our first room was definitely not an Executive Room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Eaton, Hong Kong? Share your experiences!