“Great Except for the Mainland Hordes” 4 of 5 stars
Review of City Garden Hotel Hong Kong

You added City Garden Hotel Hong Kong to your Saves list
City Garden Hotel Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.9 City Garden Road, North Point, Hong Kong, China (Fortress Hill)   |
Ranked #107 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hong Kong, China
“Great Except for the Mainland Hordes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

One thing no one realized is that once the mainland Chinese get spending power they would become a blight on tourism worldwide. The problem is they simply do not have rules of behaviour that the rest of the world has had hundreds of years developing and learning. The truth is they are loud, noisy, always getting in the way and just incredibly annoying. The kids are spoilt little brats that think running down a hotel hallway at 1am shouting at the top of your voice is acceptable behaviour. Why do I mention this? Basically this is or was a great hotel with nice rooms, fast lifts, excellent food outlets and a really funky neighborhood for shopping. But the ambience has been completely changed by the China presence. Not much any hotel can do about that. So if you want to stay here just be prepared to put up with the hordes. Its a great hotel otherwise.

Room Tip: Get a room at the end of the hall, then you are less likely to hear drunken Chinese men or rowdy kid...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed here in February 2013. We found the hotel clean, well appointed, good location and the staff very helpful. Swimming pool was good. we had read some reviews on this hotel before staying and so was extra vigilant during our stay and could not find fault. We would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

BASICALLY...
For the past 10 years I've gone to HK at least once a year, for leisure. After experiencing about 8 different HK hotels, I have finally found the ideal hotel and have stayed here in recent 2 HK trips. I plan to stay here for all my future HK trips.

ROOM TYPE
Standard Room with City View

ROOM
-the room are big compared to other HK hotel rooms
-the bed is big and comfortable
-the pillows are fluffy, clean and comfortable
-the bathroom is good size

VIEW
-I don't usually mind what views I'd get when I stay in HK because I am out of the hotel for most of the day. On my most recent stay at this hotel, I was given the city view which I thought was quite nice, although it was more "residential" view than "city" view, to be honest.

AMENITIES
-free wifi which is quite rare for HK hotels, and the connection is fast and reliable
-my partner thought the gym was abit small and not useful
-the hotel is next to a 24-hour 7-Eleven store which is extremely handy

LOCATION
-the location was great; about 5 minutes walk to the Fortress Hill MTR station, and 10 minutes walk to North Point MTR station
-it is also the next street parallel to Kings Road, which is handy for catching the tram towards the Causeway Bay, Wan Chai and Central direction
-taxis are frequently available infront of the hotel

SERVICE
-the staff were very nice and professional, always smiling
-the concierge team were efficient and welcoming, always running to open doors for guests
-the front desk staff were polite and attentive
-the housekeeping staff were professional and cheerful (I'd always walk past them on my way out in the morning, and they'd be inside a room cleaning and would yell out "Good morning!" when I walked past)

FOOD
-there are many restaurants in the hotel, I've only eaten at one of them which was the Michelin-starred "Yue". I had dimsum there but I was abit disappointed with the price and the portion size.

CLEANLINESS
-the bedding and linen were clean
-the room was clean

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Very nice Hotel this was our second visit, all staff very friendly.Breakfast couldn't be faulted there's something for everyone. Our first visit was over New Year 2006, we had a fantastic time. Very handy for buses and trams.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Luzon, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went to Hong Kong for the second time last November 2012 and I really liked this hotel. We stayed in a room beside the pool. There was water leaking on the ceiling outside the bathroom but it wasn't really too much and the staff offered a free upgrade to another room but we did not take it since we really don't mind and we like staying beside the pool since there was a hot and cold water dispenser in there so we did not have to go out and buy water to drink, although there is a 7-11 store just beside the hotel. We slept well and always woke up late in the morning so we never had the chance to eat breakfast at the hotel.

The staff are also very friendly, they helped us with our luggage when we arrived at around 2 am. On our last day, they also stored our luggage since our flight was not until late in the evening. So we just went out and came back for our luggage at the hotel. They helped us find a cab and carried our luggage to the cab.

The location is also good. Near MTR station and lots of restaurants and diners around. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

It is an excellent hotel and I highly recommend it. The beds are very comfortable and although the last time I visited was a long time ago, I still remember the staff being very friendly. I can't remember all the details, but all the things I do remember are positive. The location is very good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

The City Garden Hotel is a very warm and friendly hotel with great service. We booked in advance and took advantage of the CG Club that was part of the offer. This meant we had express check in and check out on the 25th floor, all day refreshments and an excellent choice of drinks and snacks in the evening in a comfortable lounge that also offered computers for use. We requested interconnecting rooms and this was not a problem. The rooms were a good size and housekeeping kept the rooms clean and well made up every day. The staff were always polite and ready to help with any requests. One of my daughters has a severe peanut allergy so I thought Hong Kong might be a bit risky but the staff at the City Garden Cafe were so helpful and thorough we ate breakfast (which was included) and dinner there every day. We had both the buffet and a la carte and we enjoyed every meal. The breakfasts were really good, with so much variety and lots of fresh fruit. When we had the buffet the chef advised which dishes to avoid for peanut allergy and my daughter still had so much choice. She was able to try dishes that she has never had before, and we really appreciated their care and helpfulness. All the staff in the restaurant were nice and efficient. The hotel is also in a great location, near the train station and lots of shops. Taxis are really cheap and can often seat five passengers. I loved our stay at the City Garden Hotel and highly recommend it and their excellent staff.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to City Garden Hotel Hong Kong? Share your experiences!