“Tiny Rooms but Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bishop Lei International House

You added Bishop Lei International House to your Saves list
Bishop Lei International House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.4 Robinson Road, Mid-Levels Central, Hong Kong, China (Central)   |
Ranked #148 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 stars 665 Reviews
Phoenix, Arizona
“Tiny Rooms but Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed at the Bishop Lei for a week. The room was small. Scratch that. The room was tiny. But the (relatively) reasonable price and outstanding location more than made up for the “cozy” room. The hotel is walking distance to the escalator and even the ferry terminals (although the ferry terminal is more than a 30 minute walk, which might be too far for the some people). There’s a decent restaurant on site that’s good for a quick fuel stop or breakfast. The pool overlooks the Hong Kong’s waterfront and is great for scenic photos. The hotel’s staff was very helpful and friendly. I like the Bishop Lei and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the harbor are a little bigger, have great views but are quite a bit more expensive.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

As an ex-pat who lived in the mid-levels many years ago, I was intrigued by the hotel's location only a stone's throw from my old apartment. The location right off the mid-levels escalator seemed appealing, and the price was right. I read a number of reviews before booking, and decided to opt for the harbor view suite, for the extra space and the view.
The skyline view and floor to ceiling windows are great, but should not be called "harbor view". You can make out small bits of harbor green between the buildings in Central, but you can't really see the harbor.

The escalator turned out to be a less efficient way to get around than we imagined, but is close to the restaurants and bars of SoHo. If you are coming & going from the hotel all day, you are not going to want to rely on the escalator, particularly if the weather is as hot & humid as we experienced. The hotel shuttle runs hourly, but given HK traffic, didn't match up with the printed timetable very well. If you leave the hotel early and are gone all day, this may be less of a concern. Taxis are in high demand during peak hours, but if you can navigate the city bus routes that helps, there is stop right out front. The nearest subway station is in Central, too far to be convenient.

The room had a damp and musty odor, and the a/c was inadequate for the prevailing weather. I asked the front desk for any potential remedies, but none were offered. The mattress was rock hard. The carpet was worn and stained, as was the couch. The bathroom is tiny.

The hotel provides a giant keychain to guests, which requires you to drop it off when you leave, and request when you return. Not a big deal, but I was left to wait a few times while they were attending to other guests, just to retrieve my key. Not ideal. The staff was competent, but not particularly friendly. The breakfast (not included) was ok, but not worth the price.

I wanted to like this hotel, and at these reasonable rates, my expectations were in check. I wasn't expecting 3 star. But even these modest expectations were too high. We had lots of other hotel options when booking, without paying much more. It would have been worth spending a few extra dollars for a more comfortable hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

As the title of this review already says, I had a more than frustrating start to my stay at Bishop Lei. I had booked the hotel because of its excellent location and the was excited about the fact that it's run by the Catholic diocese of HK. I arrived on an early morning flight and hadn't slept. I had sent two emails to the address on the website to make sure I can check in early but ended up waiting for 4.5 hours until my room was available and had to reschedule one of my meetings as a consequence. The staff was not very helpful at all. I ordered breakfast but got a tiny bowl with cornflakes and a tiny cup of tea. Nobody offered alternative solutions or apologised for the inconvenience.
I also have to say though that once I had checked into the tiny room it became a very good base for my three day stay. Most of my meetings were in Central which is just a 10 min taxi ride away. The shuttle bus is an easy connection to Central as well. And the room offered all I needed. But because of the check-in experience I only give it two points.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

If I am in HK and paying myself or other hotels are busy/pricey (eg during 7s week) this is my choice; for price vs location vs views of Central it is an easy option - but worth getting the grand/deluxe suites on a higher floor (doesn't cost that much more and the normal rooms are small even by HK standards). This gives you a reasonable sitting room, double bedroom + bathroom etc, so good space in which to work or relax - and the view is one of the best of the central and out to the harbour.

Free wifi a big bonus + there is a Welcome supermarket c. 5 mins along Robinson Road for basics like waters, fruit; also a take-away pizza place close by as well.

Easy access to the escalator to get to central for work or to the restaurants/bars etc + there is a free shuttle bus to get to IFC or Admiralty. Note that in early morning school times and rush hours there is virtually always a long jam outside on Robinson Road heading down the hill, so you are better off with the escalator during that period.

I have never had any f&b there, so can't comment on that, but have always found the staff helpful and generally ok with later check-out times.

Overall, a great choice for HK, for value and for location/views.

Room Tip: go for higher floors and definitely get the suites, as the normal rooms really are quite small.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

For 750 hk$ a night it was a very good deal. Yes room is not big, but in HK it's pretty common. Pool is nice, with towels provided. Free shuttle is a plus. Otherwise bus stop is just in front of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I paid for a single room but think I got upgraded to a suite as it came with separate living room & bedroom. The view from my bedroom on the 17th floor was absolutely gorgeous. You get the basic amenities but they don't give u a free bottle of mineral water, so you will have to get your own drinking water.

Location wise, it is quite far from Queen's Road Central, but you get plenty of pubs, cafes & restaurants along the as you travel along the mid-level escalator. Though the hotel provides shuttle service o the nearby mtr stations, do note that the last shuttle is around 7pm, so if you do hang out late in HK which most people do, it might be an easier choice to catch a cab.

So what about the service? It's appalling. On one night, I came back to the hotel around 6pm with my hands full of stuff. One of the hotel staff saw me and walked past me, but did not even bother to help me open the lobby door. I had to push the door open myself. And on the day I took their shuttle service to Hongkong station, I had to lug/drag/push my luggage up the shuttle bus myself. The shuttle did not have a proper luggage storage area and I had to place my luggage on the seat next to me. Not once did the hotel staff offer to help me with the luggage. They simply stood there watching though I was obviously having problems with my heavy luggage.

This is one hotel which I will not bother coming back to.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Orebro, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I tried one of the hotels in city's skyscrapers and the choice fell on this.
It has ideal location in Soho district, just steps away from HK Zoological & Botanical gardens. Good for us with a taste for exciting shops, markets and a myriad of wonderful bars and restaurants. The easiest and simplest way to get here is from the subway station “Central”, and from there use the world's longest escalator “Central-Mid-Levels escalators”. Travel up to the Mosque Rd and turn left, it's then just a few minutes walk to the hotel. Friendly and professional staff in the very sparse designed entrance. I was given a room on the 17th floor overlooking the mountainside. The room was really very compact, there was a small table and chair, bed and minimal space for your feet to move on. The bathroom was in the same class, minimally ... shower cabin was the smallest I've seen. Good thing if you're not fat;-)
On the plus-side ... Many cable TV channels in English, mini bar, good air-con, soundproofed and large windows from floor to ceiling. It was a nice view and exciting to secretely check out the nearest neighbors in the skyscrapers around in the late evenings. Good standard but a little dated room. I did not tried their breakfast, there was no reason when there were lots of interesting options nearby. I had a pleasant time during my stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Bishop Lei International House? Share your experiences!