“Truely Intercontinental's Flagship Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hong Kong

Save Saved
You added InterContinental Hong Kong to your Saves list
InterContinental Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.18 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #14 of 645 hotels in Hong Kong
Engelburg, Schweiz
“Truely Intercontinental's Flagship Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed in late September 2012 in Hongkong. Because I like to experience different Hotels and I couldn't agree on the Hotel, I decided to stay in three different Hotels in Hongkong. Therefore, I stayed at the Intercontinental Hongkong, the Peninsula Hotel Hongkong and the Four Seasons Hotel Hongkong.

The Intercontinental ist a very modern Hotel and perfectly located at the Waterfront overlooking the Skyline of Hongkong. It is not very amazing from the outside, but very nice in the inside. The staff was very friendly and helpfull. The Breakfast Restaurant was a little bit to crowdy, but food was very good. Also the Restaurants were good.

Especially to mention is the Pool Area. The Intercontinental offers a great Pool Area with a Jacuzzi with stunning views of the Harbour and the City Skyline.

To sum up, there is nothing to complain. The Hotel deserves five Stars and is good value. if you are looking for a well managed Hotel in Hongkong with a great view from the Pool for a reasonable price, then book the Intercontinental.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

1,801 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Great Neck, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I'll start off by saying that judging from the other reviews my experience tonight was most likely not typical. Still, when I write TripAdvisor reviews, I call them as I see them, and I admit I have a sour taste in my mouth after tonight.

My wife, her best friend and I arrived at the Lobby Lounge for some late night tea and dessert. We were told there was a HK$160 minimum per person ($20 USD) to enjoy the lounge at night. That was acceptable to us.

The view, as other have said, is stunning. You get a sweeping view of the entire Hong Kong harbor. Around Christmastime the view is spectacular, with various buildings lit up like holiday cards.

We ordered some overpriced desserts. They were okay, but certainly not worth $20 each. Still, we knew we were paying for the view and the experience. I wasn't a guest at this particular Intercontinental, but I've stayed at many over the years (being a Platinum Elite Priority Club member), and after one glance at the view I made a point to promise myself I'd book a room at this one.

It's sad how sometimes one employee can sully your opinion of an otherwise wonderful experience. As we were finishing our evening, I flagged down the young woman standing at the desk and politely asked for the check. It took her what seemed like ages to deliver it, and when she did she handed it to me without any words. Not only this, she hovered over me as I took out my wallet, literally watching me as I counted out every bill and coin. I've eaten at restaurants all over the world, and even in the cheapest restaurants I was never made to feel so awkward, much less a restaurant where I just paid $75 for a bowl of ice cream, a cake, and two cups of tea. It was as if I'd overstayed my welcome and she was eager to see me leave.

No "thank you", no "we enjoyed serving you", no "please come again". Just hovering and silence.

I left the cash on the table, at which point she quickly started counting it before we'd even left the table. Because the lighting was so poor it turns out I'd left off twenty cents. At this point she chased me down and held the check up to my face (literally) and waited as I counted out 20 cents. It was an honest mistake, but from her actions I was made to feel as if I'd been planning all along on stiffing her on the whole check.

By the way, 20 cents is about 2 cents in US dollars.

I actually didn't think too much about it, but then I read the 2007 review of bobsworld417 in Maryland titled "The Under-Side of Hong Kong”. Like Bob, I happen to be Asian-American and I happen to be a Priority Club Platinum Elite member. Now I'm not one who cries out "racism" at the drop of a hat, but on the other hand I noticed that white folks weren't treated quite the same way that we were.

Whether it was racism or not, one thing that was clear was that this was not the level of service I've come to expect from the Intercontinental. Suffice it to say, my next visit to Hong Kong, I will not be staying there. If you're of Asian descent, you may want to think twice as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have stayed at the Intercontinental many times, it is always a pleasure to return there. The rooms are well kept (it is worth trying to book one facing the harbor) and it houses a few excellent restaurants, my favorite being the Japanese one. The Lobby Bar is quite spectacular, especially in the evening, as it provides you with a great view of the harbor and HK skyline 9especially at 8 PM during the lightshow). I think they have possibly the best breakfast buffet from the hotels i stayed in at Hong Kong. From a location perspective, the hotel is located right at the end of Nathan Road on the Kowloon side. Although this is a personal choice I prefer to stay at the Hong Kong Island side but it all depends on where you need to be in Hong Kong

Room Tip: Harbor side is the preferred side at a premium
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

After a long trip into china this was a great contrast.
Impeccable service.
Great food.
Rooms could do with a freshen up ... But the views.... Wow.
Hanging out by the pool was the highlight ... Also try Nobu ... Delicious!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We stayed here for three nights as a wind down from a demanding tour of China. After the frantic pace of seven chinese cities the Intercontinental gave us a fantastic end to our holiday. The Club lounge is fantastic with floor to ceiling windows giving amazing views across Hong Kong harbour. The service is refined and elegant. One evening we ate in Spoon and, having booked our table one month in advance had a gorgeous meal with uninterupted views across the harbour as a backdrop.
Breakfast is wonderful!!
My only complaint would be the charge for internet access which, in an hotel of this class, seemed both unnecessary and exhorbitant

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Godalming, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Intercontinental Hong Kong is the grand old dame of harbourside hotels. There are newer, flashier hotels but none with such panache. This was our third stay at this hotel, and again we were reminded of the exceptional quality of the place. I can't think of another hotel whose staff are so genuinely courteous, helpful and professional - from the front desk receptionist, to the chamber maid, to the pool attendant, all displayed an attention to detail which is quite rare.

Furnishings throughout are of a high standard, beds are sublimely comfortable and of course the harbour views are unbeatable.

We checked out at midday and had several hours to fill in, as our flight departed after 11pm. We spent an indulgent few hours around the poolside, lunching at a table overlooking the harbour, and wallowing in luxury in the spa hot pools. Bliss. We'll be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

You could stay in your room all day, all night and gobble up the divine view over Hong Kong, especially at Holiday times when the buildings have fabulous light shows. In addition to the view, the service is fantastic, friendly. The breakfast buffet is sensational. On a return visit to HK, I would rather stay on Hong Kong side which is more convenient.

Room Tip: take a room with a view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to InterContinental Hong Kong? Share your experiences!