“value vs. time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbour Plaza Resort City Hong Kong

You added Harbour Plaza Resort City Hong Kong to your Saves list
Harbour Plaza Resort City Hong Kong
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   No.18 Tin Yan Road, Tin Shui Wai, New Territories, Hong Kong, China   |
Ranked #125 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Makati, Philippines
“value vs. time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Harbour Plaza is a great hotel at an amazingly reasonable price. A lot of conveniences are available to you even if you're in the New Territories of Hong Kong. Right below the hotel is a mall and a park. The only trade-off for Hong Kong visitors is that it's very far from your main destinations (which are presumably Hong Kong Island, Disneyland, etc.). Just expect 45 minutes to an hour trip before you get to Mongkok, etc. Trains are the best way to travel. Get an Octopus card if you can if you're staying here and going to roam everywhere in HK.

Though staff are English-speaking, accent was a bit difficult to catch. (Maybe we should have learned Mandarin before going) This made communicating a bit difficult and we had some misunderstandings on the reservation, booking, and the amount we had to pay. They didn't get to explain that the credit card needed to confirm our deposit had to be the one used online (we used Booking.com). When we were about to check-out, we called to ask if we had any additional payments to make. They said we haven't paid for the room yet. Again, they didn't explain that the deposit will be used. In the end, we ironed everything out with the helpful staff of the hotel. It was nerve-wracking to be told these things but it was just a problem with communication, not really a fault of the hotel staff.

Rooms are big and spacious. Furniture might seem a bit dated but no foul smell or any mysterious spills or stains on the carpet or sofa. The view from our window was great, specially because the park was really nice to see in the morning. Bathroom was always clean and dry. Even had a kitchen with stove and refrigerator. No pots and utensils though.

Overall, this was a far-flung but worth-the-trip hotel. Here, you won't feel hurried as you would in Hong Kong and Mongkok. You could really just prop your feet up and sleep and relax. Even for Hong Kong residents, being here could be one great staycation or weekend get-away.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I have stayed in numerous hotels in numerous countries before and this is not my first trip to HK, however this hotel had made an impression on me so bad that I don't think it deserves a second chance. Beats me why it got a TA award, cos other than the cheaper price, I don't see other contributing factors.

First of all, this is located in Tin Shui Wai, New Territories, which is totally out of the way from town. But thanks to the public transport system, you are still able to access to town area via MTR+LRT, bus or cab. Do note the cab ride from Central costs me HKD260 (after 20% discount. Yes you can ask for discount if you are travelling far distance in HK ;) Just ask when you book the cab).

Second of all, I booked the hotel under my name that has been used for like dozens of hotel bookings with different booking sites since I started travelling. This name is also the name on my credit card. However, this hotel refused to let me check in unless I changed my name in the booking site immediately. I was right there, with my passport, credit card and booking confirmation, and they still REFUSED to change their system to let me check in. When I asked where can I access the internet to change the name to be exactly the same as on my passport, the check in girl pointed feebly to her right and said 'Business centre, and you have to pay.' I was definitely appalled at this time at the poor customer service.

After I changed my name, she told me my standard room has been upgraded to the deluxe room, which is nice. Next she told me the check out time is at 12pm. The booking site indicated the checking out time at 2pm and I have planned my itinerary around 2pm. And when I pointed it out to her, she immediately said they are fully booked. So wait a minute, first you have a spare room to allow me for a free upgrade, now you are telling me you are fully booked? Anyway she offered me till 1pm, and I of course took it.

Third, I was requested to place a deposit of HKD2000 for my room, when my room charge is only HKD680. Why? It would only be released in 2 weeks, when I asked.

Fourth, I was asked if I want to use the facilities in my room? I was thinking shouldn't you be telling me what kinda facilities that you wanna specifically mention in the first place?

The room I got is on the 22nd floor with a great view. The furniture are old and especially the couch with tacky flowery print actually scared me off a little bit. The bed is hard and the pillows are way too soft. The LCD TV is great though. Two bottles of 500ml water are provided.

Next is at no fault of the hotel, I know from my HK boyfriend that this hotel is especially popular with the Mainland China people cos Shenzhen is just 15mins away. We came back from dinner around 10pm and they were swarming the lobby area, yelling at each other for no apparent reason. We were waiting for our turn into the lift and they just keep cutting in front of us before the lift arrive. And when the lift arrived, they pushed and rushed and shouted, like they need to get on that lift to save their life. We missed 3 trips because of them. And when they are in the lift, they just keep shouting their floor number in Chinese and hope someone presses their level. Trust me, I have been to Mainland China, and this is the first time I encounter such behaviour which is a real culture shock.

So overall, I will not come back to this hotel again, because of their poor customer service and clientele.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Langkawi, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We're travelling round Asia and truly loved our stay here. Airport shuttle was good value and easy to organise, check in was a breeze. Room fantastic on the 25th floor with awesome views. Gorgeous park and shopping centre next door with cinema. Hotel pool is an oasis. Rooms lovely and spacious and very clean with the best shower I've experienced so far on this trip. Location- cannot see the problem. Simply get an octopus card at any station or the airport. Navigation is easy and we did all the sightseeing in two days no bother.
Wifi costs but just get a drink at the coffee corner in the lobby or do the breakfast buffet and wifi is free for the day. Lovely retreat from the busy city centre!

Cannot recommend highly enough!

• Stayed May 2014
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

The hotel is 40 minutes away from Hong Kong the subway is easy to use, and for the price you can't go wrong , only down side you have to to pay for wifi. But go to to the 7 11 next to the hotel and buy a sin card for 150 dollars Hong Kong dollars for 1 week great value. The hotel is connected to the a mall and there is a grocery store on the 3 rd floor were you can get drinks and fruit Etc.. There is places to eat there as well , the rooms have bathtubs. We were on the 23 rd floor. You can buy subway cards at the subway. We did not eat at the hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get higher levels over level 19 . Better views.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Our family of 3 including a 9 month baby stayed at this hotel in a standard room for 4 nights. I got a fairly good price at this hotel compared to other hotels in Hong Kong with similar ratings. There shuttle service from the airport (both ways) was good. It only took us 35 minutes (early morning) from the Airport to the hotel in contrast to the 60 minutes that we were told it would take and, it took us 45 minutes (late afternoon) on return. We got a non-smoking room on level 21 in Tower 1 and views from our rooms of other residential building across the road was OK. The room was clean and tidy but looked a little old and rustic. They best thing about this hotel is that there rooms are of a decent size that also, includes a mini kitchen which was handy as we had a small baby with us. The hotel is far as per Hong Kong standards but if you have lived in cities like Delhi or Sydney where it takes time to travel former for traffic later for distance it should not be too difficult to stay here as the public transport system is super-awesome in Honk Kong. Make sure you get the octopus card if you stay at this hotel as you would be using a lot of public transport. The light rail (Tram) is right opposite tower 2 and is only 3 stops to the Tin Shu Wai MTR station (Metro). We were lodged in Tower 1 which is about 100 meters walking to the light rail. We went to Macau for 1 night in between and wanted to shift to Tower 2 on return as it felt tiring walking to Tower 1 especially with a baby but the concierge at Tower 2 is always very busy as they get a lot of bus load of tourists from Mainland china. It was convenient to check-in to Tower 1. There is no free wifi at this hotel and they charge HK$120 for 1 day of internet access which to me was an overkill. I suggest if you stay here you just walk to the shopping centre behind the hotel and can you use the free wifi either at McDonadls or KFC for 20 minutes every day especially if you only have to check important emails. As they have mini kitchen is every room(i suppose) and majority of there tourist being from mainland china there cooking does cause a lot of unpleasant smell in the corridors at times. The service at this hotel can be varied but mostly pleasant depending on there staff (maybe I suppose from what i was told Honk Kong people come across as more pleasant compare to main land Chinese). I would have rated this Hotel higher but there service on the last day let us down.They only supply 2 bottle of waters a day which is OK but only if you don't have to check out and rush to the airport next day and especially with a baby. I requested them for an extra bottle of water on my last day as we needed it for our baby and also, as I didn't have time to go buy it from the shopping centre but, they rudely refused it maid me angry as I felt water is a basic necessity and if needed for a baby a hotel can show some empathy.

Room Tip: Get an octopus card from the airport if stay at this hotel as you would use a lot of Hong Kong publi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Port Macquarie, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I did not pick up on the fact that this hotel was in the New Territories! The hotel, split into two towers with walking distance between them, is pleasant enough, fairly clean but a hell of a loooong way from the international airport.
At midnight, it felt like it took us all night to get to our overnight stay, before returning all that way back to the airport to fly to China.
Why oh why did I now look at Tripadvisor closely enough!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Colombo, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I stayed here as my Business Meeting was in New Territories. Relax area. It's in Hong Kong residential area. Easy to find a taxi or public transport. Good Location. It is highly recommended to family guests. A clean place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Harbour Plaza Resort City Hong Kong? Share your experiences!