“Noisy,overpriced,poor location” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Wharney Guang Dong Hotel Hong Kong

Save Saved
You added The Wharney Guang Dong Hotel Hong Kong to your Saves list
The Wharney Guang Dong Hotel Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.57-73 Lockhart Road, Wanchai Bay, Hong Kong, China (Wan Chai)   |
Ranked #183 of 611 hotels in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, China
“Noisy,overpriced,poor location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Located in Hong Kongs red light district this place is not friendly, nor quiet, not worth staying there. In my visit I was told not to leave any valuables in the room as they were doing some renovations. The bathrooms are small, the street very noisy and the cleaning service very poor.

Room Tip: Not located on the main street if you like a quiet night
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

515 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Firstly, let's be fair. The Wharney Guang Dong sits at the value end of quality hotels on Hong Kong Island. That's why we booked it! Our stay was for 8 days with 2 kids, so we needed 2 rooms. You can imagine how the cost racks up in Hong Kong! The Wharney provided easily the best value for what we needed - comfort, cleanliness, service and a pool for the kids. Total price (inc all taxes & service) was a reasonable HK$1000 per room per night.

Several weeks prior to our stay, I contacted the hotel to check on a few things. Firstly, to be sure they had a baby-sitting service. They promptly confirmed this and quoted a reasonable price.

Secondly, we were keen to get 2 rooms adjacent with the kids being very young. Preferably, we wanted rooms with a connecting door. They assured us of best endeavours to achieve this.

Thirdly, we knew that the outdoor pool was seasonal, so we wanted to check when it was open. They confirmed that it would be open at the end of March. As our stay was 30/3/13- 7/4/13, this was fine.

So, how was our stay?

Check-in was quick, efficient, polite. The 2 rooms were, exactly as requested, adjacent connecting rooms. They were generally clean and comfortable, if perhaps just a tad small, but perfectly acceptable. A couple of negatives were a) the TV has few English channels and b) we needed to contact housekeeping to clean inside the fridge (which we used extensively, stocked with stuff from nearby 7-Eleven & Wellcome!). c) there were no drawer units, only the wardrobe.

The FREE Wi-Fi was excellent and much-appreciated as I had many hours of phone calls to make to the UK, so the ability to use Skype without paying extra was invaluable in keeping costs down.

The Canny Man bar in the basement is a beautifully fitted-out place, but a little quiet on the couple of times we used it. Shame, because it merits more trade! A small note here is that the bar, despite being inside the hotel, is actually a separate business, so you can't bill to your room.

The Wan Chai area is renowned for its nightlife (including numerous girlie bars), but don't let that put you off. As a base - even with young kids - we found it terrific. MTR is just 200 yards away and buses and trams also easily accessible. Using an Octopus card is a must! The restaurants and other eateries that surround the area mean you can be well-fed day or night and you don't have to break the bank.

Our one problem was that it turned out the swimming pool was not actually open, but still subject to the on-going renovation works that others have mentioned. We were greatly disappointed, but didn't fancy whinging at the reception desk to people who wouldn't be able to do anything anyway. Instead, using the hotel stationery, I wrote a polite letter to the manager expressing our disappointment and requesting the opportunity to meet someone to discuss. This was left at reception in the morning on our way out.

On our return, we had a message in our room to contact the Duty Manager, which we duly did. This was a cheerful young lady called Karen Lau. She was extremely pleasant and helpful. She explained the situation with the pool, which had been kept closed longer than expected due to the renovation works. She presented us with a letter from the General Manager Mr Zhang, who apologised even more profusely. We were then asked to come and see some Executive rooms that they wished to upgrade us to by way of compensation. Further, we have been promised a similar upgrade should we choose to return. We felt that the promptness, courtesy and appropriateness of the hotel's response to our complaint was excellent.

As a note to any hotel guest who ever has a problem: Do keep your complaint polite, as you will invariably get a better response by being reasonable. Hotel staff are people just like us! It's also much nicer to come home and write something good than something angry!

Overall, we enjoyed The Wharney Guang Dong. Not the perfect hotel, but very good value for the price paid. We will return.

Room Tip: Wan Chai can get a bit noisy at night! The higher the floor, the better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Romford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is the third time I have stayed in this hotel, the location is good, hotel clean but the beds are so uncomfortable and rock hard. The seating area in reception was closed the two nights we stayed, which when you are arranging to meet in the lobby this is not acceptable. I dont think we will be staying here again there are better options in Wanchai

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The title says it all.
Superior size room for 2 people: room size was enough.
Cosy feel.
Clean & acceptably furbished.
Staff service was fine.
Not noisy despite being in town centre.
Convenient for sight-seeing as well as night life and shopping.
I might go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I'm was very disappointed that we're were not told until we arrived the
were maintenance going on in the building I could not find anywhere on the website stating there was maintenance going on .

When I arrived I said to the girl at reception I / we are staying for
four (4) night for the rugby 7's Why would we be leaving on Sunday if it's the last day of the rugby !

I know the Rugby 7's is on but the Price for a small Deluxe room was too
expensive I stayed with the Wharney last year 16/03/2012 you can check previous
records and I stayed in the Executive room the price was $1,600-1800HKD)

I hope you don't like to sleep the noise from street level goes till about 5 am Fri to Monday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I went directly to their website to make a reservation. The website froze after I put in my information. So I gave up and made a reservation in a hotel nearby. They charged me over $300 anyway, despite the fact that a reservation was never made and of course never was an email sent to confirm my reservation. I complained to them. They don't care. I complained to my bank. The hotel responded by sending my bank documents showing their cancelation policies and saying I should show I canceled, so now I have to respond to that nonsense. I challenged them to show the reservation email confirmation. They ignore that. How can I cancel a reservation they never told me about??? So buyer beware

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here in aug 2012 and from start to finish it was a horrible experience we were made feel unwelcome although between the 8 of us staying there for 2 weeks 2 triple rooms and one Executive Room we were bringing in good business. the first room i had was horrible and full of the smell of stale smoke which is not the nicest smell for a non smoker when called down to change rooms it was an effort for the reception staff to help , the security guards are the most unfriendly and horrible people , i have never heard of a hotel demanding their guests that they either need to wait outside on the street or in their rooms while waiting for the rest of there group especially when you are sitting on a bench not making any noise. as for the pool ugh wouldnt put baby toe into it .... i could go on and on about many more problems over the two weeks but i would need a novel the only good thing going for this hotel is that it is situated in a great central location but that is it.

Room Tip: if after all the bad reviews on this place you still book the only room advice i could give is pay...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Wharney Guang Dong Hotel Hong Kong? Share your experiences!