“is ok but for the price, i dont know!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Regal Riverside Hotel

You added Regal Riverside Hotel to your Saves list
Regal Riverside Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34-36 Tai Chung Kiu Road, Sha Tin, New Territories, Hong Kong, China   |
Offers & Announcements
Super Saver, free Wifi
Ranked #155 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
United States
“is ok but for the price, i dont know!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

this used to be a pretty good hotel but watching it turned into a tour and travel hotel for the past few years, i just dont know if i wanted to be back. the front desk is inundate with check ins and check outs and at times, way understaffed.

however, the housekeeping department still are in sync and doing great job in turning over the rooms. they are helpful and very timely, the rooms are very clean. kudos!

in short, if you do not mind standing in line for checking in and checking out ... this is a pretty gold hotel and it is centrally located in a some great malls and parks.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Peter C, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear jim I: Thank you very much for your support and sharing your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to learn that in general our services including the housekeeping met with your expectations. Your constructive comment on the check in and check out procedures is well noted. We think part of the reasons for the longer wait is that we actually have less group tours but much more independent travelers like your goodself. We will certainly review our operational measures and immediate actions will be taken for appropriate improvement. Meanwhile, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Rest assured that customer service is always our prime concern and we treasure your goodwill.

Peter Chiu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hotel is quite nice for a few days' stay in Hongkong. Better than hotels in center of Kowloon, but going anywhere is a bit of a trouble. MTR is walkable, but not too near, bus station is closer. Food is available outside, there is a supermarket and Watsons store. Rooms is hotel are big and clean, though somewhat old. Lack of free wifi is disappointing. Overall, not bad, but there are better options almost for the same price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter C, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Arjuna93: Thank you very much for choosing Regal Riverside Hotel during your recent visit to Hong Kong and sharing your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.

We are very pleased to learn that in general our services were to your expectations and you liked our room furbishing. We have many types of rooms and you may wish to check on our hotel’s website for good offerings for your next visit so that you can enjoy free WiFi and many other privileges.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and we look forward to your future stay at Regal Riverside Hotel.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

At around 10:00 hrs. On 26 Aug. 2013. I went to the Cakes Shop to pick up two boxes moon cakes from my room on 14th floor.. I purchased the cakes coupons during my last stay in this hotel when I dined in the Chinese restaurant. It was a lovely morning but my day was ruined by the lady at the cakes shop.
I approached the shop and noticed a lady was opening the shop. I said, "Excuse me, may I have my boxes of moon cakes please." She gave me an angry look without saying a word she kept on minding her own business. I thought she would entertain me as soon as she would finish her business but I stood there for ten minutes hopelessly I asked her again for my Moon cakes she angrily picked up two boxes from the drawers without saying a word. No explanations or apologies were given. I picked my cakes and left disappointingly. I never understood why a fine hotel like this would have a staff like this.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Peter C, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Lau A: First of all, thank you very much for your support to Regal Riverside Hotel and sharing your valuable comments with us.

We were disheartened to learn of the unpleasant experience you have encountered at our Patisserie. I can fully appreciate the frustration and we would like to sincerely apologize for such unacceptable behavior. We are taking your comment very seriously and our Food and Beverage Manager is to remind his team of the importance of customer service and necessities true professionalism at all times.

We once again thank you for your continuous support and we treasure your goodwill.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Airport shuttle good service but long and complicated walk to sister hotel to catch the bus.
1st room given had a massive crack in the mirror wardrobe which had a strip of tape to secure it. Not acceptable. Got moved to another room with no apology. New room - large with good view.
Hotel very busy and although the concierge are very good at sharing local knowledge etc, I feel the staff lack giving that warm welcome and personal service.
The location is ok if you don't mind getting on busses or getting taxis. I would have preferred somewhere more central and walking distance to more shops and restaurants.
Disappointed to find pool is in shade after 4pm.
Main restaurant for breakfast really overpriced.
We over slept on our last morning and mistakenly left items in the room. After contacting them to post items on they have advised that they have not found our items which is odd.
Overall good value for what we paid but think I would pay a bit more for an alternative hotel.

Room Tip: Riverside view a must.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Peter C, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Liana V: Thank you very much for staying at Regal Riverside Hotel during your recent visit to Hong Kong and posting your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.

We apologize for the negligence on room assignment but glad to learn that our associates have arranged room change immediately that was to your satisfaction. Thanks to the great supports from our guests, which enable us to become one of the most popular hotels in the district. Our Front Desk area can get congested at times, however, our Front Office Manager is reminded to brief his staff that our guests are entitled to every courtesy.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and we apologize for any inconvenience may have caused. The entire staff and management look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

As Canadiana, we are used to big room and in Asia, due to the place, its very hard to get a decent room as we are not very skinny people and we can't sleep in single or double bed. My first trip on HK was a stopover for 9 days in which we arrived right before the typhoon and was stuck in a very very small hotel that basically the size of a double size bed. On top of it, it was a hourly charged motel which at the time didn't know what those were, now I know to avoid them.

Lucky for us, a friend recommended this hotel and WE LOVE IT! I was lucky enough that they gave us the superior room on the top floor which has a KING SIZE bed. Since we are booked for different tours, we keep on leaving the hotel for about 1 week and come back 1 week and go again for about 5 week and they are able to give us a similar room on the top floor and they are able to hold our luggages during those time.

The staff are very friendly and even offer places to go within the area.

There are alot of places to eat very near the hotel and I love the sushi place there.

TIP: 1) A stroll on the side of the river is really nice in the evening
2) For the people who can't really walk, you can take the bus at the front door of the hotel to take you to the subway station.
3) They have free WIFI in the lobby but its a bit slow

Room Tip: If you can, get the top floor as the design is gorgeous and they are bigger
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Peter C, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear 324Traveler: Thank you very much for staying at Regal Riverside Hotel and sharing your positive feedback on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed touring the area nearby our hotel. Your compliments on our staff and services are highly appreciated, rest assured that we will continue in our endeavor to maintain our standard at all times.

Thank you again for your support and valuable comments. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Booked for a Superior, but I guess I was given a Deluxe judging by the hotel's photo on their website. Room was large by Hong Kong or even Asia's standard. On one side of the room, it fits 2 twin beds, 2 1-foot wide bedside tables and a 2 seater sofa with still some space to spare.

As a Regal member, I was offered complimentary welcome fruits, although it was slightly disappointing as I expected more than 1 apple & 1 orange.

Complimentary minibar was a nice touch. I was informed by the staff that I could enjoy 2 cans of soft drinks and 2 cans of beer. It was advertised as a daily basis offer, but my Coke was not replenished. =(

Cleanliness of the room was good and furnishings were generally fresh looking given the hotel's age. On closer look, sides of the cupboards had laminate splitting. May be a concern if you are bringing the kids.

The shower is really a terrible design fault at Regal hotels, (as least at the hkia regal too). There is no shower curtain. The shower head fixture is hardly maneuverable. I always had to climb out of the tub to a wet floor. Yucks.

Before booking this hotel, make sure you understand that it is not near major attractions nor train stations. However, there are sufficient bus services plying the road just outside the hotel to bring you to those places.

Overall, I'm still giving a high rating for this hotel as I see value in its room rates with the large room i'm getting. With the 2 comfortable nights of rest I had, I found that the noisy lobby, laughable fruits and minibar forgivable.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear iceqz: Thank you very much for choosing Regal Riverside Hotel and sharing your valuable comments on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to learn that you liked the room assignment and in general you had a pleasant stay with us. Your comments on the welcome fruit and complimentary mini bar are well noted, the concerned managers will certainly look into the matter and remedial action will be taken. With regard to your comment on the bathroom, we do have many types of rooms or you may raise your preference to our Front Desk staff during your next visit.

Thank you again for your constructive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Johor Bahru, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

This review may be late in coming as just joined TA recently. Have read some negative reviews on this hotel but for us (based on our opinion and experience), it was okay and we liked the location and its surrounding.

Stayed 6 nights here on end April'13 and for us, its very convenient to move around HK with this hotel as a base. From the airport you have a direct bus service (A21 if not mistaken at HKD22.30/trip) up to the doorsteps (across the road, walk across the underpass). To go to HK and other places, there is a bus stop few steps away right in front of the hotel. We took bus no. 182 to WanChai, Causeway Bay, Macau Ferry terminal, LKF and we enjoy the scenery, the neighbourhood it travels along the way. Going back to the airport was a breeze as you can board the same bus (A21) from the bus stop outside the hotel. When in HK, we did like what the locals do by getting all of us an octopus card, which can be reloaded and refund upon leaving HK. Its convenient and easy to get around with the card in HK

We enjoyed walking around the neighbourhood behind the hotel for the dim sum in the morning and in the evening we strolled to the nearby complexes (about 10mins) * IKEA for food, window shopping, groceries and etc. Sometimes we took the MTR up to Shatin and just walked back in the cool weather at night back to the hotel.

Service wise & room wise (we got 15th floor) so far for us was okay and acceptable and especially to Sam, one of the front office manager. I tried to put on a plaster on my injured finger and without hesitating, Sam just walked up to me and offer to put it on my finger, which he did. Great hospitality from this guy. The pizza is good at the lobby near the side entrance but a bit pricey, but we do enjoy the pizza anyway.

Room Tip: get room on the 15th floor as renovated
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Peter C, General Manager at Regal Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear andy2008_12: Thank you very much for choosing Regal Riverside Hotel and sharing your positive comments on Trip Advisor.

We are most delighted to learn that you had a pleasant trip in Hong Kong and enjoyed the convenient location of our hotel as well as the neighborhood environment. Your compliment on Sam is greatly appreciated and I shall personally congratulate him for his good performance.

Substitute to your comment on the airport bus that stops right in front of our hotel is route A41 running every 20-minute interval.

Thank you again for your valuable comments and support. All of us at Regal Riverside Hotel look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Peter Chiu

Been to Regal Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!