“i do not understand the good reviews” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Regal Kowloon Hotel

You added Regal Kowloon Hotel to your Saves list
Regal Kowloon Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.71 Mody Road, Tsimshatsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Special Price
Stay 5-night with 25% OFF
Ranked #127 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Minneapolis
“i do not understand the good reviews”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I did not enjoy my experience here. From the moment we walked up to the hotel it seemed outdated, drab, and disorganized. This is the worst check in experience I have ever had at a hotel - it took FOREVER at the end of a long day and I'm not sure why. My boss smartly asked for a 'renovated' room and boy am I glad, I would have hated to see the non-renovated rooms. The renovated rooms seemed very outdated. I will say my room seemed fairly clean and was quiet, but I was glad I was only staying here for a few hours. The whole place did just not have a good vibe. Decor is very outdated. Breakfast was not good and in the basement with horrible music playing. I just don't get all the 'very nice' reviews, it's not. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else in the area - like the Nikko.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Glen F, General Manager at Regal Kowloon Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Madam
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your experience staying with us recently. I apologise for the slow check in and we are working hard to speed this process up. We sometimes get a lot of people arriving at the same time and this does slow the process down. I have noted your comments about the appearance of the property and you will be pleased to know that we are working on upgrading programs to address these issues. I am sorry you did not enjoy the breakfast but I as you did not mention why, I am not sure what part you did not like, apart from the music that I am looking into. I realize that you have plenty of choice in this area but we do get good reviews because we work hard to look after our guests. I am sorry we let you down on your stay.

Glen Farmer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed here at end of a 2 week trip to China and Hong Kong. Wish we had spent more time here. Location and amenities were great. But what made this place special was the staff from front desk, bell caps to security. The concierge was extremely helpful introducing us to the subway system and getting us to shopping, dining, under the harbor to the tram to Victoria Peak and back to hotel. Had great meals at two of the hotel restaurants where the staff was very attentive. Loved this place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bilaspur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The staff at front desk are rude and careless.
Property is bit old and needs renovation.
delux room we got was not up to mark. (I booked through cox and king and freedom travels). food quality is average. location is very good at market place. lobby has no sitting arrangement no wash rooms

Room Tip: better you try a new hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir & Madam

I am sorry our associates on the Front Desk did not meet your expectations and this has been taken up with their department head. We are in the process of renovating all rooms and I am sorry that you were not allocated one of these rooms on this occasion. Seating area in the Lobby is limited I agree but we have just reopened the Wash Rooms on the 1st Floor after a period of renovation. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced on this visit but I do hope you will give us a chance to be of service on your next visit. Kindly contact me direct for the arrangements.

Turin, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The hotel is very nice, it has all international standards. Rooms are big and with all the necessary amenities, such as bathrobe, slippers, tea making facilities, desk. Tv has some international channels. Bedding is very good, and so are pillows.
Breakfast is fantastic, for both westeners and asians.
Staff is friendly and helpful.
The only reason why I am not giving 5 points is that they only have free wifi in the lobby and for 15 minutes. Other than that, very expensive. In 2012 even cheap guesthouse have free wifi, and it is very helpful for business travellers.
By the way, there are no seats in the lobby so if you need to be picked up you will be standing up while waiting.
All the rest is fantastic.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

If you don't need to stay on the island this is a great hotel. It's close to the harbor should you need to catch a water taxi or cab to the mainland or anywhere. It's also near a fair amount of shops and places to eat and drink. It's been renovated in the past few years since last time I stayed and it showed. The rooms, other than an odd shower door confirguration that ended with water on the bathroom floor, are nicely appointed. They aren't as large as you might get in a high end modern built hotel but are generously sized. The lobby can get a little slammed especially at peak check-in and check-out times. But overall my service is always good here and the hotel is nice. I would recommend it and have stayed here several times.

Room Tip: You can get a room facing across the street to get some of the harbor view but it's obstructed b...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I was most Dissapointed to find the Hotel Bar closed due to renovation and the restaurant and buffet dining very expensive, the WiFi also was not free unless your were using it in the reception areas, However they do provide a good massage & Sauna and a Great Hairdresser, the staff are also very Friendly & Helpful.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Glen F, General Manager at Regal Kowloon Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Michael F
Thanks for posting your review and I am puzzled by your comment about the Bar which was definitely not closed or under renovation! Our V Bar is fairly new and was opened on 1 January this year. It is located off the Lobby is open throughout the day until late at night. Are you mixing this up with something else? Then your comment about the Restaurant and Buffet prices being very expensive is also a surprise as we are very competitive in the market place. Were you referring to Café Allegro in Basement Level 1? The buffets we serve here are quite comprehensive and generally considered good value for money.
Thank you for your other positive comments about the facilities and associates and please note that if you book through Regal Web, you will have free WIFI throughout your stay!
Harrisville, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Today is the last day of a weeks stay at Regal Kowloon. This is our second stay at this hotel in TST East. This is a perfect location for us as we enjoy this area of Hong Kong, with the restaurants, night life, shopping, and proximity of the MTR.

We have stayed on the club level (although 1/2 the hotel appears to be club level) and our room has a great view overlooking the park. The room is a good size, although the bathroom is quite small.

As a club level guest, you are allowed 2 devices per room for free WI-FI. That is a little difficult to do when we have one laptop, 2 phones, and 2 ipads. Figured I would just go to the club to use my ipad, but was super surprised to find out that you are only able to use "free-wi-fi" in the club for 15 minutes each 12 hours. Kind of hard to do anything if you are only allowed 15 minutes.

Also on our last morning we awoke to maintenance hammering away in some room that was totally annoying. We were not given any prior notification of this occuring. After a call to the front desk, we were called back by a manager that offered to move us to another room so we could finish our "sleep". We declined since we figured we would never be able to fall back to sleep anyways, but the offer was appreciated.

Overall, I just wish this property would not be so cheap with their wi-fi, especially in the club lounge. We will be back to stay here on our next visit to Hong Kong.

Dear Franklin
Thank you for your positive comments about the your recent stay with us and I am pleased you will be returning on your next trip to Hong Kong. With regards to the use of WIFI in the Lounge, if you are using one of the 2 devices you have signed on with in the room, it is free. For additional devices, we then make a charge. We have recently installed a new system and are reviewing if we can increase the number of free devices allocated per guest. Then I am sorry about the noise disturbance due to carpet replacement on the floor above. We will be more careful in future to alert guests in the area this is taking place. Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Hong Kong.
Glen Farmer

Been to Regal Kowloon Hotel? Share your experiences!