“Poor customer service and dated rooms” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Regal Hongkong Hotel

You added Regal Hongkong Hotel to your Saves list
Regal Hongkong Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.88 Yee Wo Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, China (Causeway Bay)   |
Special Rate
Room with breakfast
Ranked #131 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore, Singapore
“Poor customer service and dated rooms”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Rooms are disappointing with a dated renaissance look which does not fit in with the overall image of the hotel and exterior. Only redeeming factor was the convenience of its location near the metro station and is in the heart of the shopping district.

Checking in is a nightmare at this hotel with a very small lobby that is almost always packed with guests, no queue system nor staff to manage the crowd. Front desk was rude, inexperienced and not at all helpful in handling miscommunication with reservation agent even though I had reservation print-out stating room requirements. This was resolved only when I demanded to speak with the duty manager. They offered no word of apology for the hiccup but instead sent an invitation to their royalty program after the stay. No thanks!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
RegalHongkongHotel, Executive Assistant Manager at Regal Hongkong Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the location of the hotel. I would like to extend my personal thanks to you for taking the time to comment on our services during your recent stay with us.

We apologize for the service inconsistency you have experienced upon your arrival, which was certainly not reflective of our usual standards. Nonetheless, we have taken your feedback very constructively and meanwhile implemented corrective actions to ensure a consistent delivery of our service standards. And they had been brought up to our Management concerns with further enhancement will be in placed in order to preform higher flexibility when we serving our guests.

We would be delighted to restore your current perception of our services and facilities. For this purpose, I would be obliged, if you could channel your next reservation through my office to enable me to personally look after your well-being.

Stephen Chow
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I've visited this hotel and stayed for one night which was so terrible due to the following:

1- A/C was not working properly
2- Curtains were not out of order
3- Water heater was not working
4- Coffee machine was not working
5- Service or operator not answering the phone.
6- No body is caring about the guest once you pay you are done.
7- Arrangements were not easy and not all people talking english.

All of these Faced in executive suite so what do you expect in the other rooms.

I'll never recommend this place to any human or even animal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
RegalHongkongHotel, Executive Assistant Manager at Regal Hongkong Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your current stay with us.

We apologize for the service inconsistency you have experienced, which was certainly not reflective of our usual standards. Nonetheless, we have taken your feedback very constructively and meanwhile implemented corrective actions to ensure a consistent delivery of our service standards.

We apologize for not having met your expectation during this stay and would be delighted to be granted another opportunity to serve you again. Please feel free to contact me directly for future reservations and I will be delighted to personally look after your well-being.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.

Stephen Chow
Executive Assistant Manager
Chennai (Madras), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We had a week long stay at the Regal Hong Kong. The experience was a pleasant one except for minor hiccoughs at the front desk, where people appeared rather unfriendly and cold. The BIG advantage of the hotel is the location, as it is located at the heart of commercial center and has an easy access to subway making travel across Hong Kong easy and inexpensive. Unlike the front desk, the room service and travel desk service though was excellent. Rooms were good, gold tainted with lot of mirrors, which was disconcerting at first. Roof top swimming pool was great. Breakfast was ok and wished it had some Indian items, we being vegetarians.
Overall we had a great time staying at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

HK hotels are small, and it was tough looking for one which could accommodate 3 to a room, but the Regal HK was comfy, clean and convenient. The street across the hotel has a coffee joint and some interesting good hole in the wall cafes. Service staff are pretty friendly and the breakfast which we had daily at the hotel was not too bad. They do provide an adaptor for travelers and free wifi. Thing to improve is the shower facility, the drainage hole is not big enough and the shower floods if the water cannot be drained away quickly. Making it very slippery. Overall, decent and I would probably stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We recently booked a few nights in Hong Kong on the way home from a holiday in Vietnam. We chose the Regal Hong Kong largely because of the location. The hotel is right on the tram line that runs through Hong Kong and is a short walk from the Times Square shopping area. My wife had become ill during our trip to Vietnam, but the Regal staff made sure we were comfortable and helped us with doctors and extending our stay despite being heavily booked at the time.
The hotel is very busy, but the management and staff couldn't have been more helpful. Particular thanks to David Wong and Mon Chow for all their help in re-organising our room requirements. The room we had was excellent, with all we needed. Staff gave us tips on where to shop and how to get around. The regal is also one of the hotels that offers a free shuttle bus to the central station regularly throughout the day. So it's easy to get to & from the airport.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Khon Kaen, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I dont usually pay as much as I did for a hotel, but Hong Kong is expensive and this hotel has a tremendous location. Just minutes from the Causeway Bay exit of the MTR. The room had all the comforts one could ask for. We didn't use the dining facilities, so I cannot describe them. The staff is well trained and pleasant. My only complaints are: 1. There is one plug (in the bathroom) to charge any appliance. 2. The minibar is so outrageously priced, that you would be a loon to use it (there is a 7-11 almost across the street that is open 24 hrs). Otherwise, a very comfortable room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I went to this hotel given the location and the fact that it had a pool. July in HK is very hot and this won me over. Given it was a business trip, it was paid in full by my company upfront once the booking was made on a hotel booking site. When I got to the hotel, I was told that the payment was not received (despite the booking confirmation stating the opposite). They would not accept this booking confirmation, so as a compromise they put my card down as a security in case the payment never came through.

Once I got to the room, I found that they had given me a twin room, rather than the double promised by them. Everything was over-extravagant for a regular hotel, featuring heavy gold trim on everything, rather large and hideous art works on every wall of the room. The TV was poor quality and there were even foot print stains on the toilet seat? The musky smell lingered in the room the whole week I was there and everything felt over-the-top.

My company confirmed their payment to the hotel and nothing further was heard from the hotel until one night. At 11:55pm just before I was about to fall asleep after an incredibly long day I was awoken to a phone call. Given the time of the call I could only assume the worst (family emergency). It simply turned out to be the front desk demanding I pay for my hotel room. This made me furious as I had to be at work at 7am the next morning. After not being able to sleep all night I went down to the front desk to ask why they felt the need to call me just before midnight. The person there looked dumbfounded and couldn't explain anything.

After returning to the hotel late at night (2am) I tried to get into my room to find that my key card was no longer working. I went downstairs to get this fixed, however I was demanded to pay for the hotel room, again! I requested to speak to the manager who would not provide anything but a poor explanation as to why I have to pay for the hotel room, despite it already being paid for. Being incredibly annoyed by this, he said I had to pay for the room on the spot, or the police would be called. Concerned about spending USD $1,000 in one hit I eventually gave up on arguing with idiocy and gave them my card to put the payment through. They reactivated my card and that was it... until I checked out on the Saturday.

I had to give them my card again to pay!

Apart from the service, the elevators are incredibly slow to show up, however the pool has a decent view. What was fashionable in the 1980's is certainly not fashionable now. This hotel is in dire need of a face lift and a do over.

I had to bring this to the public's attention and warn them to not waste your money staying at such a poorly serviced hotel.
I moved hotels to the Holiday Inn Express, half the price yet twice as friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Regal Hongkong Hotel? Share your experiences!