“Kowloon Shangri-La didn't let us down” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong

You added Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong to your Saves list
Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.64 Mody Road, Tsimshatsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Ranked #10 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
4.5 of 5 stars 1,845 Reviews
Double Bay, Sydney, Australia
“Kowloon Shangri-La didn't let us down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a holiday in Hong Kong. Thank you Shangri-La for making it so memorable and special.

We booked a harbour view room with Horizon Club access, and upon arrival, and without asking, we were upgraded to a harbour view suite, which was most appreciated. The suite was comfortable and clean. The white marble bathroom was luxurious, large and well appointed. We were on the tenth floor and the view was wonderful. We felt very connected with all the activity on the harbour. The two rooms were well appointed and all the staff were helpful and polite. Included was an office/study in our suite. My husband actually used this area as his dressing room and he enjoyed the extra space. A welcoming pot of tea and fresh fruit was a nice touch. We have previously had a suite at Shangri-La, Singapore and the comparison was easily the same experience. The Horizon Club is not quite as big as Singapore, but in a way it is more exclusive and intimate, and the view is fantastic as the Horizon Club is their top floor. Hong Kong harbour turns on a laser show every night at 8pm and is worth enjoying each night of your stay. A highlight of our stay was to see the lights of Hong Kong turn on around the harbour at dusk.

We had two excellent cooked breakfasts in the Horizon Club as well, and it was a shame that a business couple were undertaking a noisy meeting on the second day. I couldn't understand why this should happened, as the hotel offers business people specially provided office areas as part of the Horizon Club package. It was crass, thoughtless behaviour, and we were not the only table to notice this lack of courtesy by this noisy couple discussing future employees and their merits/demerits. It was not the hotel staff's fault at all, but I think that business people could be reminded that there is a place for this undertaking.

We just loved the Tsim Sha Tsui Promenade and Avenue of Stars along the harbour foreshore, including a French fashion photography installation. The hotel is directly linked to this area of the waterfront by a walk bridge over the road, and the walk to the Terminal shopping centres near the Star Ferry is not long and is most enjoyable. We did this both days of our stay at Kowloon Shangri-La.

Hong Kong is now cleaner, and even more friendlier than I remembered from my last trip in 2005. We also enjoyed a visit to Kowloon Park off Nathan Road. The sculptures, cultivated gardens and flamingos were a welcome surprise in the middle of this busy shopping area. There is still a bit of jostling from suit/handbag/watch spruikers, but that is all part of the Hong Kong experience.

If you are planning a holiday, Hong Kong is a great destination.

Room Tip: Mid levels have a great view too.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KSLGM, General Manager at Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear charlie282000 thank you for your detailed review. I was very pleased you and your husband enjoyed your holiday and the suite you booked at the Hotel. The views of the Harbour are spectacular and there is always some activity going on to keep you entertained. I have noted your comments regarding business meetings at the Horizon Club lounge - I will remind our Team to handle these situations nore effectively in future. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Hong Kong, regards Timothy Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Last week I spent two nights at the Kowloon shangri- la. After just being at the shanghai shangri- la, I will attest that there is no comparison. Although the location is excellent and the staff is first class, the hotel needs redoing in order to be in this chain of hotels and to compete with other excellent hotels in Kowloon and Hong Kong island hotels. Only ate at the tapas restaurant , which was very good, I also would add additional first class restaurants to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Avi R, many thanks for your review and your constructive comments. I appreciate your comparison to some of our newer hotels in Shanghai and we do have some plans to continue our improvement programme. In the meantime, we pay special attention to preventive maintenance in our rooms and public areas to ensure the highest standards. I am pleased you enjoyed Tapas bar - sorry you missed our 2 star Michelin Reestaurant Shang Palace which is very popular for Cantonese food, or Angelini (Italian) or Nadaman (Japanese). Thank you for staying with us, regards Timothy Wright
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Spent a few nights early February this year at this beautiful hotel after a Singapore - Vietnam - Hong Kong cruise. We have been at many top hotels already (both for business and leisure), but this place is the BEST BY FAR. Got a extremely friendly welcome / check in. Since our room was not ready yet, spent some time in the lobby where we were offered a drink. Very friendly service and we immediately felt at home. We decided to change our standard room into a harbor view room. This turned out to be a brilliant idea (despite of the extra cost). We will never forget our spontaneous reaction when we entered our room and switched on the light: the window curtain opened and we had a fantastic view. The hotel served a complementary welcome tea and fresh fruit in the room, which we enjoyed very much. The breakfast buffet is unbelievably great. Anything you can dream of is just available (and the quality is of a very high standard). I can hardly imagine people would complain about the breakfast...Very nice location, close to the Avenue of Stars, the sea and the Hop on, Hop off buses. The concierge was of great help by calling a private limo for bringing us back to the airport. This made it even easier to say "we will be back". In the meantime we have booked a February 2014 cruise departing from Hong Kong and we will not hesitate to book this beautiful hotel for a couple of nights.

Room Tip: ask for a Harbor View room (at a additional cost)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear cruiserEdegem, thank you for your wonderful review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Kowloon Shangri-La on your next trip to Hong Kong, regards Timothy Wright
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My partner and I commenced the first leg of our tour of Asia in The Shangri-La, Kowloon, Hong Kong in January 2013.

I have stayed in 5 Shangri-La hotels now and have never been disappointed. The hotel was so classy, spotlessly clean and the service we received was first class and so very professional. Nothing was too much trouble.

I will continue to return to a Shangri-La resorts and city hotels as I know I will always receive excellent accomodation and service.

Very well recommended for a city break. Ask for a Victoria Harbour view, you cannot beat it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
KSLGM, General Manager at Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Littlecott2013, thank you for your great feedback. Delighted to hear you enjoyed the Shangri-La hospitality, regards Timothy Wright
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a number of Shangri La's...Singapore, Sydney... And recently stayed in the Waldorf Astoria in Shanghai on the bund (which is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed in)...... The Shangri La was ok....but not brilliant.... I read a lot of trip advisor reviews and think people are picky, so now I'm probably going to be picky and a snob... The service was not upto scratch and what I would expect of a Shangri la, it was slow on check in..sat wtg for 10 min in horizon club..... Would have been easier downstairs......first night in horizon club on 20th floor was made to feel like a second rate citizen, apparently I didn't exist so why was in the horizon club? Even though they took 2 passports on check in....they screwed up on the room dates and the card stopped working after 1 night so had lengthy trips up and down 20 floors.... Service was ok but not exceptional.....as we've come to now I Singapore... We booked 2 nights in a horizon club room on points, were literally 10 points short of a 3rd so booked a basic double for the last night rather than paying the rack rate...any other hotel in the world with a jade card would have just extended the room, but no we moved... All on all on reflection I guess it was ok.....but not the exceptional standards we've come to know with Shangri la...... Next time on Hong Kong would defiantly try the HK Island Shangrila over kowloon....

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SUEDDerby, thank you for your review and constructive comments. I was disappointed to learn our service was not up to the usual standards and you experienced some shortcomings during your stay - I will address these with my team. I am also concerned we did not extend some flexibility with regards to your Golden Circle points redemption and we should have done better in this respect. Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback which will help us make improvements. Regards Timothy Wright
Suffern, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

What can I say,but WOW! Very pleased with every aspect of this Hotel. Booked a Harbor view room. The room was spacious, well appointed and immaculately clean. The Bed was luxurious and the sheets were crisp and smelled great. The location was perfect. Their Breakfast Buffet offered anything you could think of and more. The entire staff from Bell hop, to Doorman, to front desk, to waiters were knowledgeable, polite and courteous.

Their two star Michelin Chinese Restaurant was superb.

My Wife and I have been traveling internationally together for the past 20 years. We both agree that this is one of the best Hotels we have stayed in.

Room Tip: High Floor, Harbor View
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
KSLGM, General Manager at Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear jili4 thank you for your wonderful review. I am pleased you were delighted with you stay and thank you for recognising some of my colleagues, regards Timothy Wright
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife & I stayed at the Kowloon Shangri-La for 3 nights in an Horizon Club Room with a harbour view. Not cheap but in consideration of the benefits of the Horizon Club and the view of the harbour it is worth the stretch. Hong Kong Harbour is stunning and worth the extra cost. It can be very misty particularly in bad weather and in the summer months. Don't forget to watch the light & laser show on the Island side at 8pm from the comfort of your room or the Club Lounge. One night was a free night redeemed through the Shangri-La Golden Circle loyalty club but there was a charge HKD600 extra for the harbour view for the night. This made the stay very good value.

The location is very good in East Tsim Shah Tsui, about 0.5km walk via Mody Rd to Nathan Road (The Golden Mile). A walkover (with elevator) which crosses Salisbury Rd. connects the Hotel to The Avenue Of Stars on the HK waterfront & is conveniently accessed from the first floor of the hotel. The Avenue Of Stars is a very pleasant promenade to west Kowloon (Ocean Terminal, Harbour City etc)

If you enjoy a good buffet, the Harbourside Restaurant in the Intercontinental Hotel is hard to beat. If you book for dinner and are there at 8pm you can watch the light show from your seat. But booking are usually necessary. Book early and request a window table.

The hotel is a grand hotel with an opulent foyer and a number of restaurants. The level of service is excellent.

Check in was conducted in our room making for quick processing - very convenient considering we arrived at the hotel around 10pm. The rooms are large (about 42 sqM - 452 sqft)) and quiet. They are very well fitted though a couple more drawers would not go astray particularly if you are staying for more than a few of days. The bed is firm but if too firm for your liking you can get a duvet or two put over the mattress to soften it up. There is a Nespresso machine in the room, very handy for the coffee drinker.

The hotel has an indoor pool (not large) and a 24 hour well equipped fitness centre. Spa services (massage etc) are also offered.

We have no hesitation in recommending the Kowloon Shangri-La.

Room Tip: Enjoy an harbour view room. I recommend the Horizon Club - includes breakfast, coffee, tea & sof...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bundeera, thank you for your feedback and recommendations. The Horizon Club is very popular, offering a relaxing and exclusive environment throughout the day. We have just introduced a new range of wines specially selected by our sommelier, perfect for evening cocktails which are offered to Horizon Club guests each evening from 6 - 8pm. Thank you for staying with us, regards Timothy Wright

Been to Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong? Share your experiences!