“A Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong

Save Saved
You added Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong to your Saves list
Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.64 Mody Road, Tsimshatsui East, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Pocket Wi-Fi on Us
Ranked #12 of 653 Hotels in Hong Kong
New Rochelle, New York
“A Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I love Kowloon a great area. The Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong is fantastic pricey but great service and big rooms. The best part for me was that the carpet was changed in the elevators every day to reflect the day 7 days and carpets named for each day.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
KSLGM, General Manager at Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Ripb747 thank you for staying with us. Good to hear you appreciated the carpets in our elevators - helps remind our travel weary guests which day it is, regards Timothy Wright

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
chepstow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Had a stay here in March 2013. The hotel location is very good. Room I had was very clean, spacious and well equipped. Very good breakfast & restaurant service. Bathroom was OK though no bath, only shower.

The only issue I had during my stay was at check in..... I asked for a quiet room and was told this was possible if I paid extra for an upgrade ! I did not accept the upgrade 'at extra cost' offer given the existing rate was expensive enough, So I was given the room grade I originally had booked and all was OK. I would have expected this level of hotel to try first to find me a quiet room rather than try and sell an upgrade first....disappointing............

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear fivesheds, many thanks for your review. I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay. I have taken note of your comments about the upgrade offered at a price - something that many guests appreciate, however I do understand that finding you a quiet room should have been our first priority. We will take this into considerable in future and thank you for bringing this to my attention. Regards Timothy Wright
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have stayed at this property for many years and have gone through the ups and downs, new manager, new staffing etc, howeever it saddens me to report that my Hong Kong Home has fallen from its premier days. Its no reasonable to blame this fall on the influx of less educated mainland China visitors, its really about staying true to your brand identity. Lots of staff changes, cleanliness is off, spa is often dirty, and many complaints from old time staffers. Its become a far less personal experience, its just another 5 star property among the sea of many in a very changeing Hong Kong. The propertys downfall is represenative of the changes and steep declone in this region since July 1997, however busiuness is business and it seems that the heart of the ShangriLa stronghold is crunbeling. By all means stay at this property, but lower your expectations.

Room Tip: Stay in an Horizon Room and if youir budget permits facing the Harbour or side Harbour room. Check y...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear DRueben1330, thank you for sharing your feedback. I was most concerned to learn of your disappointment & I will be contacting you directly to obtain further details and hope to make amends. We thank you for your constructive comments, regards Timothy Wright
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I like the shangri la Kowloon so this is a biased review, but aren't they all? The only issue is price. If you are price sensitive then paying 400usd a night for a Kowloon hotel might be too much, even if thats half the going rate of the hong kong island shangri la. I won't bore you with much reviewing of rooms etc. expect shangri la standards. It's great. I would however like management of the hotel (are you reading tripadvisor?) to know that the bell hops welcoming guests and fetching the taxis are the best in Hong Kong. I hope they are paid handsomely because they deserve it. They can get you a cab and make sure it goes where you want it to when there are no cans available anywhere else. Courteous and professional. They are the strongest interface between brand and customer and they do their employer proud.

• Stayed March 2013
KSLGM, General Manager at Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Riiiicola, thank you for your review and thank you for recognising our bell & concierge team - I know many of our regular business travellers appreciate their friendly & efficient hospitality and I am lucky to have them as colleagues. Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, regards Timothy Wright
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was greeted at the airport as I have pre-booked the limo service with the hotel. Smart move. Their elegantly dressed and poised hotel Staff were waiting for me and took my luggage to the car where a smartly dressed driver was waiting for me. All knew my name and treated me like royalty. Impressive. The same was true at hotel arrival with their "lobby Ambassador" (actual job title) who together with 2 or 3 Staff carried my to my room to do the check-in sitting at my own desk. Classy! They made me feel like a star, and I am used to being in hotels around the world. Warm tea was waiting for me in my room and all was just perfect.

The hotel is beautiful with great lobby and adjacent rooms. My executive room was a treat overlooking the harbor and the Hong Kong skyline with all expected 5 star amenities. Breakfast room is busy as this is a large hotel wioth over 700 rooms, but even there the service was outstanding.

Location is great, walking distance to the famous Peninsula hotel and the elegant shops of Canton Road.
Highly recommended

D0n Travel

Room Tip: Ask for harbor views if you can
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear D0ntravel, many thanks for your feedback - delighted you enjoyed your stay at Kowloon Shangri-La - booking a hotel car from the airport makes life so much easier for our guests as our airport representitives are on hand to help as soon as guests exit from baggage collection. We appreciate your kind comments and thank you for staying with us, regards Timothy Wright
Fresno, CA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Recently we had a chance to spend 4 days at the Shangri-la Kowloon, HK. What impresses me most about this hotel is their attention to detail. Everything is always in place and never a spec of dust. We have always been met at the airport by one of their uniformed drivers and taken directly to our hotel. A cool towel to freshen up on the drive, bottled water and refreshments make the trip very special. Clearly that's fun but once you arrive and they take you to your private check-in you know you're no longer in Kansas. The staff is as friendly and professional as you could ask for. Our room overlooked Victoria Harbor and at night we could see the lights of Hong Kong Island. The hotel is located close to everything and especially the Metro and the Star Ferry. I don't think you could ask for more. Live a little and go back again and again!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CruiserDeluxe, thank you for your review and for your compliments. Arriving by Hotel car allows us to anticipate your arrival and usually makes check-in very smooth, I am pleased you enjoyed the experience. Regards Timothy Wright
Edmonds, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I have to admit the lobby decor is really over the top - Chinese Baroque I call it but the service is excellent and the room was spacious and lovely as one would expect for a 5-star hotel. We upgraded for a view of the Hong Kong skyline. Just after we checked in a man with a little padded basket containing two tea cups and a pot arrived. He poured our tea as the nightly light show put on by the skyscrapers on Hong Kong Island lit up. Spectacular!

The hotel is well situated for transportation and to walk along the water toward the Star Ferry terminal.

We had some quick meals in the lobby bar area - the food was excellent and not too expensive. Our room came with breakfast in the restaurant - the variety and presentation was an experience - I took lots of photos to remember it.

Room Tip: A water view adds to the experience.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear babbagecarrier, thank you for your wonderful feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your meals in Cafe Kool and the views from your room. Thank you for staying with us at Kowloon Shangri-La, regards Timothy Wright

Been to Kowloon Shangri-La Hong Kong? Share your experiences!