“I am sitting here on the 57th floor in...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Island Shangri-La Hong Kong

You added Island Shangri-La Hong Kong to your Saves list
Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pacific Place, Supreme Court Road, Central, Hong Kong, China   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
London
“I am sitting here on the 57th floor in...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

I am sitting here on the 57th floor in the horizon club gazing at the expansive view this hotel offers. Unlike many other people who've reviewed this hotel we did not come here for business, but pleasure nor did we have a corp rate. This has been one of the best hotel stays I have had. The service has been amazing almost to a fault, the rooms are nice and spacious with all of the amenities incl scissors and espresso machine. The steam and sauna fantastic and the happy hour at the horizon club well worth the extra fee. Last night we ate at an adjoining hotel and the doorman walked us there and refused our tip. A favorite practice by the staff is knowing and calling us by name and checking our taxis upon arrival in case something is left behind (I always tend to drop something). It's been a brilliant stay!

I can only fault them a semi damp/mildew smell in the rooms upon entering and the wonton soup wasn't that great (but the dim sum was). And as other reviews state this a more elegant plush style hotel vs modern/hip. A few  times I wish they hadn' taken my plate away so quickly, but those are minor in the grand scheme of luxury.

Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Dear shouldacouldawoulda

Thank you so much for staying with us at Island Shangri-La on your recent visit to Hong Kong and taking the time to share your comments with other Tripadvisor visitors about your stay at our hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the services and facilities of our new Horizon Club and that you thought it was good value for money. The Horizon Club is a new addition to the Island Shangri-La and has only been open since December 2009, so we will be very happy to share such positive feedback with the team. Through your valuable comments, I will be pleased to commend the team for their exemplary performance. We take great pride in treating our guests as though they are members of our family, and I hope that you felt that come through in the service you received.

In regards to the unpleasant smell in the guestroom and the wonton soup, please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that may have been caused. Please be assured that I have taken up your comments with our Director of Housekeeping and Executive Chef for necessary improvements.

We thank you once again for your very kind words and comments as it is one of the best means we have to reward and motivate our staff to maintain and continually improve our standards. . We are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Island Shangri-La in the future. In the meantime, please contact us whenever we can be of any assistance.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tauranga, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2010

Stayed over a week in one of the Horizon Club room while on business trip in Hong Kong. Truly 5-star property with excellent facilities and in a nice location. The Horizon Club is comfortable and quiet, with helpful and friendly staff. 5-star as it supposes to be.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Dear Kermadek,

Thank you very much for staying with us at Island Shangri-La on your recent visit to Hong Kong and taking the time to share your positive experiences and comments with other Tripadvisor visitors about this stay at our hotel.

We are very happy to read that you had a pleasant stay in our Horizon Club and enjoyed your time in the Horizon Club Lounge, as well as your positive interactions with the service from our colleagues. We thank you once again for your very kind words and are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Island Shangri-La in the future.

In the meantime, please contact us whenever we can be of any assistance.

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

As expected for a shangri la hotel - clean,good service,comfortable. For HK, the room is spacious with excellent harbour view, and throughout the hotel there are oriental touches. The breakfast spread was good, but for vegetarians/muslims, the salad/fruit/juice bar and the bread station is the only suitable selection. Free wi-fi available in the room is a big plus.

We only had a few hiccups staying here : 1) Housekeeping turndowned for 1 pax instead of 2. They only got it right the final night 2) They bell boy was supposed to help carry up some items however it was only brought up to our room after 20 mins. 3)The bell boy went in straight to the room right after a few second he rang the bell. Thank heavens I was properly dressed.

As for location, it is situated at the very business-y part of HK island. So you'd need to take a cab/mtr/tram to go to other interesting part of the island. MTR is about 8mins walk through a shopping complex which is located underground. Tram stop is just a bit of walk outside the hotel.

Despite the few hiccups, I'd reccomend staying here if you dont mind spulrging a bit for a very good hotel and also dont mind being not so close with (tourist) place of interests.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Missyaliaa

Greetings from Island Shangri-La Hotel, Hong Kong. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments with other Tripadvisor visitors about your recent stay at our hotel. I am very concerned to learn of our failure to properly arrange the turndown service for your room, our delay of delivery and the improper steps of our bellman took when entering your room; please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment you must have experienced. Kindly be assured that I have taken up the matters with our Director of Housekeeping and Chief Concierge to ensure that proper counselling to the team and measures are initiated to avoid similar recurrence. In regards to the food variety for vegetarians/Muslims, our Director of Food and Beverage and Executive Chef have taken your feedback seriously and are currently implementing that necessary changes and improvements. However, I am delighted that you enjoyed the rest of your stay, and thank you for your compliments about our services and free wi-fi. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it helps us learn where we still need to improve in order to make you, our guests, as happy as possible.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me via the Hotel should you need any assistance. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Island Shangri-La.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

We stayed at the Island Shangri-La for two nights on a recent trip to the far east. 10 days later we decided to return there, unexpectedly stranded in Hong Kong when our flight home was cancelled due to the volcanic ash. I loved this hotel after 2 nights but after an extra 8 nights absolutely adored it! We stay in many 5 star hotels around the world and the island shangri-la is certainly one of the best we have ever stayed in. I cannot praise the staff highly enough. Of particular note was the concierge who not only assisted me in getting to a hospital for attention to an infected finger but who also sorted out a car and an extremely helpful member of staff to escort me.
The rooms were spacious, spotlessly clean and the daily fresh fruit a life saver for our 7 year old daughter (thank you to Elaine Lau, our superbly efficient and charming chambermaid). The buffet breakfast was excellent, as was the evening buffet at Cafe Too. The spa and pool were absolutely delightful and once again the service there was faultless. The location was excellent, above the Pacific Place mall, right next to Hong Kong Park and a short walk from the Peak tram station. We also stayed at the Landmark Maderin Oriental during our stay (before the delay) and the Island Shangri La was a head and shoulders above that hotel in terms of service, room size, views, comfort, in fact everything. A wonderful hotel, in a great location with excellent service.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, May 11, 2010
Dear Minihally

Firstly, we hope that your infected finger is recovered and you are feeling better now. On behalf of Island Shangri-La Hotel, I would like to express our heartfelt appreciation for your stay with us on your recent visit to Hong Kong and for sharing your positive experiences with the other TripAdvisor visitors. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed our services and facilities, and we are delighted you consider us to probably be the best hotel in Hong Kong right now. We take great pride in treating our guests as though they are members of our family. Through your valuable comments, I will be pleased to commend our Concierge team and Elaine for their exemplary performance. We appreciate receiving your feedback as it is one of the best means we have to reward and motivate our staff to maintain and continually improve our standards. We thank you once again for your very kind words and are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to Island Shangri-La in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2010

I stayed for 2 nights on business, 25-27 April, room 4523. Maybe I'm just a tired and jaded international business traveller, but I can't quite see why this hotel ranks 1 or 2 out of 250+ hotels in Hong Kong. Sure, without any doubt it is a very good quality hotel - broad views of the peak or harbour from the full-size windows; good quality fittings; plenty of staff on duty; branded toiletries; good location above Pacific Place shopping mall; and so on. It's hard to find anything to complain about (except perhaps the price, if you're not benefitting from a corporate rate). But Hong Kong has some of the finest hotels in the world, and I just don't see this place in the same class as the (refurbished) Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, and so on. Maybe it's just because it's starting to suffer the problem of (relative) old age. For example, everything in the room is basically clean and comfortable, but most things are starting to show their age - limescale or other gunge around the sink taps; ingrained and irremovable stains (from boiling water maybe?) on the marble / granite bedside table; and so on. As happened at the Mandarin a few years ago, eventually time catches up on these hotels, even if they are cleaned daily, and I expect that within 5 or 10 years the rooms here will need to be stripped out and completely modernised. I smiled when I saw a fax machine in the hotel room - so 1990s! I wonder how many guests send faxes from their rooms any more? The only tiny "complaint" (but it was not worth mentioning at the hotel) was that the welcome-drink pot of Chinese tea, which looked lovely, arrived about 30 minutes after I was in my room. By that time I had already finished a cup of coffee that I had made for myself! The small hair in the tea-cup was unwelcome, but I just blew it away. Oh yes, and the "excellent service" that so many other reviews comment on? Well, let me put it this way: yes, it's nice to see smiling faces, it's nice to be greeted ........ but ....... it's also nice to be left alone! For example, I just wanted to casually walk around the pool one evening to see what it was like - I was greeted by one waiter(?) as I approached the pool, then I needed to smile and reply to the pool attendant's "Good evening, sir", then I walked towards the outdoor restaurant - looking AWAY from it - but still a staff member approached me to say hello, then on the way back yet another staff member greeted me - by this stage I truly wanted to ignore him but just about managed to offer my 4th "Hello" in the space of maybe 2 minutes! I am sure many travellers will love this sort of attention (especially if they have no friends of their own) but I just found it oppressive. The same routine applies if you try to get from your taxi to the elevators - you'll be apprehended at least twice each time, I found. Anyway, as I said at the start, maybe I'm just a jaded traveller. Oh, I nearly forgot - the free WiFi for guests is much appreciated - it's a big turn-off when hotels charge for that. But overall, based on value-for-money, and compared with the local competition, I would only rank this hotel as Average. Sorry!

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

I've stayed at many hotels in HK, this time being my first at the Shangrila. Overall, I would always pick this hotel if it I could get a good rate. It is an expensive hotel.

Other than the price, rooms are big and comfortable (except for the bed in my case, which was too soft).
Staff are always helpful and with a big smile.
Pool, restaurants, exec. lounge, etc... top notch. Free wifi everywhere and quite fast actually.
Location is great; next to Pacific Mall, Hong Kong Park and to the MTR.

As I said, I will definitely go there if I can get a good corporate rate, if not, there are other hotels which are way cheaper, though doesn't reach the service quality of the Shangrila.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, May 1, 2010
Dear CooperSJCW

Thank you very much for taking the time to share with other Tripadvisor readers your recent experience during your stay at the Island Shangri-La in April. I am delighted to hear that you found the service of the hotel to be of a high quality, and that the staff are helpful and ready to serve you with a smile. We take great pride in treating our guests as though they are members of our family, and I hope that you felt that come through in the service you received. With regards to the bed being too soft, next time you stay with us please just let us know as changes can be made to the mattress so that you get a good nights sleep from now on.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the Island Shangri-La in the future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

Overall excellent and everything you would expect from a traditional luxury 5 star hotel. Service and location brilliant. Traditional décor and very comfortable rooms. Expensive though and look elsewhere if you want a modern/hip hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, April 28, 2010
Dear GBVoyager

Thank you so much for staying with us at Island Shangri-La on your recent visit to Hong Kong and taking the time to share your comments and positive experiences with other Tripadvisor visitors about this stay. I am delighted you enjoyed our services and convenient location of our Hotel. We also greatly appreciate your feedback as it is one of the best means we have to reward and motivate our staff to achieve the highest possible standards.

Thank you once again. Please contact us whenever we can be of any assistance. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Island Shangri-La soon.

Director of Rooms

Been to Island Shangri-La Hong Kong? Share your experiences!