“Luxurious Hotel with Caring People...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Island Shangri-La Hong Kong

You added Island Shangri-La Hong Kong to your Saves list
Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pacific Place, Supreme Court Road, Central, Hong Kong, China (Central)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Advance Purchase Rate
Ranked #9 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
New York
“Luxurious Hotel with Caring People...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

Shangri-La is the epitomy of having beautiful hotels with wonderfully humble service. It is the ideal Asian-style of service. The guest rooms are very well appointed and the views are spectacular. I also appreciated the variety of restaurants. You can have the very formal French at Restaurant Petrus on the very top floor. Enjoy an extreme buffet at the international cafe (I never got board because of the constant change of choices). Of coarse Shang Palace if you want the best Chinese. The Lobster Bar and Grill not only serves great seafood, but also has live musical entertainment. Nadaman is the famous Japanese restaurant overlooking the gardens. There are even more that I can't remember the names of.

The hotel is also located above the Pacific Place Mall (best high end shopping) and nearby to Victoria Peak. It is ideally located. This is my favorite hotel on the Island side.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, January 4, 2010
Happy New Year! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments and positive experiences with other Tripadvisor visitors in regards to your recent stay at Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong. I am very glad you enjoyed our services, facilities and variety of restaurants on your stay as well as the convenient location of our hotel. We appreciate receiving the your feedback since they are one of the best means we have to maintain and continually improve our standards.

Thank you once again. In the meantime, please contact us whenever we can be of any assistance. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Island Shangri-La soon and wish you and your family a Prosperous New Year.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

Stayed 4 nights for a business trip and I was completely satisfied. Room was very elegant and comfortable. All the staff I encountered were extremely professional while also friendly.
I didnt eat at the hotel so cant comment (although think breakfast should be included at these prices). I did use the pool, gym and facilities and all were very good again with excellent staff.
Only minor quibbles were the cost of having a suit and business shirt pressed (almost 50hkd fair enough if it was dry cleaned but only ironing is a bit much) and ability to get a taxi at the peak times.
Definately recommend staying here - location is good, and all facilities 5 star.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, February 21, 2010
Dear Teamflames

Greetings from Island Shangri-La Hotel, Hong Kong. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments and positive experiences with other Tripadvisor visitors about your recent stay at our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed our services and facilities during your stay. In regards to the difficulties you experienced trying to catch a taxi, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that may have been caused. We do our utmost to prioritize inhouse guests in assisting them getting a taxi, but at cetrain times the supply is just insufficient. We will continue to monitor the traffic and come up with alternative solutions to minimise the problem in the future.

Your comments regarding the pressing prices are also highly appreciated. Please let me assure you that our charges are regularly reviewed to keep them in line with market conditions, but we will examine them more closely again to make sure we are still competitively priced. In view of your preferences for the pressing service and breakfast in your room rate, I would recommend you to book our Horizon Club guestrooms on your future visits at our hotel. As you may or may not know, our new Horizon Club on level 56 and its guestrooms from levels 52 - 55 were launched on December 7, 2009. As a Horizon Club guests, you would be entitled to full complimentary access and benefits of the Horizon Club Lounge, which includes: One suit pressing per stay, Daily Continental breakfast at Horizon Club Lounge or at the adjacent Michelin-starred Restaurant Petrus, All day refreshments, afternoon tea, Evening cocktails including Champagne in the Horizon Club Lounge for 2 hours every evening, Broadband internet access in guestroom and Horizon Club Lounge, Daily use of Horizon Club Lounge meeting room for up to 2 hours (subject to availability), and an exclusive Horizon Club check-in and check-out.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us on your next trip to Hong Kong, and please do not hesitate to contact me via the Hotel should you need any assistance with future reservations.

Please contact us whenever we can be of any assistance. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Island Shangri-La. In the meantime, we wish you a Merry Christmas and Prosperous New Year.

delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

First I thought hotel is a bit expensive.
But after reaching and checking in , when I saw the room and view from the room , I felt its worth every dollar paid.
Rooms are huge and luxurious. Whether you have sea view or peak view room , it is breathtaking.
Bar at top floor has excellent service and perfect sea view.
From the hotel itself you can exit inside Pacific Place shopping complex which also connects to Admiralty MTR station , making it very very convenient location. As it is Hotel is in heart of the Hk island.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, December 14, 2009
Dear divya123
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments and positive experiences with other Tripadvisor visitors about your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities on your stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it is one of the best means we have to reward and motivate our staff to achieve the highest possible standards. We take great pride in trying to recognise our guests and truly make them feel at home during their stay, and I am thrilled that we succeeded in helping you have a comfortable and relaxing stay. Please do not hesitate to contact us whenever we can be of any assistance. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Island Shangri-La.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

We stayed at the Island Shangri-La for 10 days and found it to be an amazing hotel. Our room was beautiful and a good size, with some good little touches to make our stay much more comfortable. The free wi-fi was a great additon to the room and our view was lovely, despite us staying in the cheapest room type.

The staff were always very attentive and couldn't do enough to help. In particular the housekeeping staff did an incredible job and deserve a special mention.

We tried out several of the hotel's restaurants and found them largely to be of excellent quality, especially Petrus. However, we were somewhat underwhelmed by the Cantonese restaurant, it was the only less than positive experience we had for both service and food. The hotel's golden circle scheme (which we joined for free) made the breakfast good value for money.

Overall we had a fantastic stay at this gorgeous hotel and will definitely be back in the future.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, November 30, 2009
Dear BooMonkey

Greetings from Island Shangri-La Hotel, Hong Kong. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments and positive experiences with other Tripadvisor visitors about your recent stay at our hotel. I am very pleased you enjoyed our services and facilities during your stay. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it is one of the best means we have to reward and motivate our staff to achieve the highest possible standards.

In regards to your comments on our Chinese restaurant, we would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and disappointment that may have been caused. Kindly be assured that our Director of Food and Beverage has seriously taken up the matters for the necessary action and improvements.

We would also like to take this opportunity to express our heartfelt appreciation for your continued support to our hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me via the Hotel should you need any assistance with future reservations. We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Island Shangri-La.

Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

The Island Shangri La is a wonderful, luxorious Hotel in the Admiralty area of Hong Kong. It is adjoining the Pacific Place mall (along with the Conrad and the JW Marriott). It is luxury from the time you check in to the time that you leave.

We had a fantastic room with Butler service on one of the upper floors. The room has all the modern amenities including a TV in the bathroom. There is a nice touch of leaving Chinese Tea in the room on the day of arrival. About the only thing I found strange wads that the TV in the room should have been an LCD or a Plasma rather than the flatscreen that they had.

The Breakfast buffet was outstanding with never ending choice. The staff throughout the Hotel was extremely helpful and courteous. In fact, when we were checking out, the Front Office Manager came to see us off to the cab enquiring about our stay.

My wife had accompanied me for the visit and dhe really loved the Hotel too. We spent 4 nights and loved the hotel. I am now a Shanri La fan and have switched from the Conrad, where I used to stay previously.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
Dear GagsDelhi

Thank you so much for your very kind posting on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities during your stay with us. We truly strive to offer the best service we can at every opportunity and feedback such as this helps us to really motivate the team.

As for the television, please note that currently all our Executive guestrooms are equipped with LCD televisions, and we are going to replace the old style TV's in the rest of the guestrooms by the begining of 2010.

Thank you once again for your comments, and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the Island Shangri-La again soon.

Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

This was my second or third stay at the Island Shangri-La and I doubt it will be my last.

Efficiency starts on arrival, where my bags were whisked from the taxi by staff as I was escorted to the reception desk. No wait for check-in and staff are very charming. My Golden Circle membership got me some sort of room upgrade, as well.

Room was nice - not the largest I've had but well-appointed, comfortable bed, spacious desk to work at and complimentary internet which is one of my must-haves. Luggage was delivered promptly to the room, another thing I watch out for. Laundry was collected very quickly as well, always important when you're in a hurry on business.

The only meal I had in the hotel was breakfast - served in the top-floor restaurant as I was on a Club floor. The complimentary buffet was very adequate, so I didn't try any of the hot a-la-carte dishes. Staff generally pretty efficient although it was a bit odd one day that they presented me with a bill for breakfast even though I had provided my room number so they should have known I was on an inclusive deal.

The goodies left in the room at bedtime were welcome, especially on my first night when it was too late to go out to eat - fruit, chocolates and Chinese sweets.

Concierge very helpful when I asked about weekend sightseeing opportunities.

Pool area very comfortable, although seating a little limited one of the days I was there. Pool itself a decent size.

Check-out also very efficient.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, November 23, 2009
Dear RusNewton

On behalf of Island Shangri-La Hotel, I would like to express our heartfelt appreciation for your recent stay and for sharing your positive experiences and kind words with the other TripAdvisor visitors. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities. In regards to the issue of presenting the bill for your breakfast, please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience that may have been caused. A signature on the bill is required for tracking purposes, but we are already looking for ways to improve this in the future.
Thank you so much once again for taking the time to write this review in such detail and we are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Island Shangri-La. In the meantime, please feel free to contact us at your convenience if we may be of any assistance.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

I recently returned from 4 nights in Hong kong with 5 friends (who had known each other for approx 30 years!). We looked at all the options on Kowloon and HK Island and eventually decided on the Island Shangri La - primarily based on the outdoor pool and the option for a triple share room (not all hotels offer this) and we wanted a high end hotel... We were a little concerned the triple would be cramped and uncomfortable, but this concern was quickly put to rest as the room was very, very nice and worked well for 3 adults traveling together (the other 2 in our group were in a twin share - lovely room too). The level of service in this hotel was the best of anywhere in the world I have travelled - the 'culture' the Shangri La group has instilled in it's staff is second to none - on all levels the staff were fantastic - always there to help without being invasive. I can't recommend this hotel enough - we are planning our return visit in 2 yrs and wouldn't stay anywhere else!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Dir-of-Rooms, Director of Rooms at Island Shangri-La Hong Kong, responded to this review, October 31, 2009
Dear Quorta

Greetings from Island Shangri-La Hotel. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your positive experiences and kind words with other Tripadvisor visitors about your recent stay at our hotel. I am very pleased to know that all of you enjoyed our services and facilities throughout the stay. Through your valuable comments, I will be delighted to commend our staff members for their exemplary performance. We appreciate receiving your feedback as it is one of the best means we have to reward and motivate our staff to maintain and continually improve our standards. I would also like to express our appreciation for your continued support to our hotel. Please feel free to contact us whenever we can be of any assistance or your room reservation arrangements. We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming all of you back to Island Shangri-La soon.

Director of Rooms

Been to Island Shangri-La Hong Kong? Share your experiences!