“Old Oriental Luxury” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Island Shangri-La Hong Kong

You added Island Shangri-La Hong Kong to your Saves list
Island Shangri-La Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pacific Place, Supreme Court Road, Central, Hong Kong, China   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Arcadia, California
“Old Oriental Luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

Having stayed here 2 times this year and many other stays in the past, this time was a little different than last year. The staff was better than last year, and our second stay was PERFECT. First stay however I would have given a 3/5. The staff during the first stay were not as friendly as the second time.

During our two stays, we had one room that was on a really low floor near 40, and the second time had a harbour room that was on the 49th floor, which is relatively high.

Public Spaces- Very large and expansive. The main lobby area has a high atrium, and all areas have fresh floral arrangements in which change every few days. I also have to note that there is a huge atrium on the room floors in which showcases a large silk painting that goes for about 15 stories high- it is a Shangri-La trademark as you can see on commericals.

Room features: L'occtiane toiletries (although nice, they are smaller sized than other Shangri-La properties. Why???), a coffee/tea making station with several types of teabags, a water boiler, fresh complimentary fruit, a chandelier, 2 free bottles of Bonaqua water, welcome tea (usually jasmine), cutlery, plates, glasses and stirrers, minibar, slippers and robes, bathroom TV, and a separate shower and tub. Beds were the usual pillowtop, and electrical buttons were by le grand.

Color scheme is a red, gold, light olive like green, and dark wood. Also the bathrooms had reddish marble for our rooms. Everything is a little bit of old style and have a twist of oriental style- so if you like modern, this hotel isn't the right one for you!

Low room floor room: Somehow getting a room with a lower floor level also means getting lower quality stuff. And this was our first stay for this year. Big things that I just have to point out is that the carpet was not perfectly aligned- it popped up in some areas, which meant there was too much carpet cut for the area. The tableware was also a older version than last year (it was blue and pink instead of gold). Lastly, the TV was also a CRT version, while most of the rooms in the ISL have a Samsung LCD.

Harbour room: NICE! Not only everything was supposed to be what it was supposed to be, the view was better than our typical view that we keep getting out of a --13 room. The view was excellent and the harbour was nice to look at. Sunshine poured into our room which made our room bright. However, it was a bummer that later on the sky became greyish black, and the great view was out.

Service is what makes a five star hotel worth it's rating, and we got a little of hit and miss for service. Once, at night, during our first stay, we caught a bellboy just keeping the door open, standing in front of it so it would stay open, and then was talking and doing things on his cell phone. Although it was at night, his attitude was something that would make the hotel look "bad".

Our second problem during our first stay was that our welcome amenities as part of being in Golden Circle did not arrive at all! We actually had to call them 2 times. However, during the second time, about 2 minutes later, someone arrived to our room. Now that is what I call good service!

Our last problem with their people was one of the breakfast chefs at Cafe Too. They did not seem to mind me at all when I asked them to get me a pancake. Even much so was that they skipped me and went on to help the other customers. I had to even raise my voice and almost get mad at him until he would give me my pancake. This is certainly something in which was just BAD.

Even worse was that during one day, a pillow linen was actually ripped, and there were stains on the bed. How unusual! Never have encountered this before.

However, good times happened during our stay. Some of the staff were just really friendly. One man who was doing housekeeping always had a good smile, and when we told him we needed a rollaway and to clean up our room 30 minutes later, he was not only happy (unlike a typical housekeeping person), he gave us extra things just because he knew we needed a rollaway. In fact, what he gave us was aplenty! He gave: 3 more bottles of water, another set of toiletries, an extra glass, another pair of slippers, and another set of towels. That is certainly what a 5 star hotel should be like.

During our second stay, they also had a cup of smoked salted almonds in addition to our amenities, which was a very nice touch. We don't know why they did so though!

Food: We had one dinner and several breakfasts at Cafe Too, and both meals were good. The dinner came free as part of the package we used during our stay, which gave us 1000HKD credit for food (but in reality they just deduct 1000HKD at checkout), and we had free breakfast due to a benefit of GC membership. Cafe Too has a ton of cooking stations- at night it was very interesting as they actually had pizza as something they could make on the spot for you, as well as rice soup. Breakfast dim sum was very nice, although there wasn't anything that was out of the ordinary. At night they had dim sum and soups too! Very interesting.

Overall, it was a very good stay this year. Things got better as time passed- no problems the second time around! Try getting a really low price, and you will be happy- but if you get a rate over 3,100HKD for a regular room, you are truly getting ripped off. The rate for ISL is a little on the high side, and for the same price you could get a better stay at another five star hotel. Only stay here if you want older style decor or have a GC membership or have a really good rate.

I'll be posting photos and video, but I do need to find all of them so it looks complete- so the photos right now are just some of the photos!

• Liked — Location, restaurants, and room quality
  • Disliked — The Bad staff, and different quality of stuff for a lower level room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

The Island Shangri-La is a favorite.

For the first couple of days of my stay, I got a high-floor, Peak-view room which had all of the standard features of an Island Shangri-La room. The last night, I was moved to a superior, Harbour View room which has some upgraded features, like a much bigger bathroom (now with a separate shower).

The rooms are big and the bed is one of the most comfortable that I know. Nice, big, flat-screen TV (shame about the relatively limited number of TV channels for Westerners). The Internet connection (wired or wireless) offers great speed and the room also features a fax/printer.

Want to have a comfortable evening; enjoy a bath, watching the TV in the bathroom and then order some of the great food for room service ... what a treat.

The restaurants are of very good quality and breakfast offers a very good buffet with Chinese and western favorites.

Tried to make use of the Business Center facilities but was discouraged due to the very high price (HK$20 per page for scanning; that is just way too much for me).

• Liked — Feels like a second home
  • Disliked — Too steep price at the Business Center
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

I had a great stay here. While the decor is not as modern I loved the "old school" luxury feel (chandelier and all). Nice plush carpets and an unbeatable view from the room. Everything was very clean. The TV in the bathroom was a novelty as well. Convenient walk to the huge malls as well, though the location may be more suited to the business traveler.

Stayed August 2007
Belfast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed for 2 nights in a harbour view room and it was fantastic. The room itself was beautifully decorated (as was the rest of the hotel) and spacious with an extremely comfortable bed.Good toiletries and wow, what a view!

The staff were friendly and helpful. We ordered breakfast to our room both days and the food was delicious.

The location of the hotel is very good for getting around the city- we got a taxi to the star ferry on our first night and also used the convenient MTR in the shopping centre below the hotel.

Afternoon tea is a must- it was a lovely experience!

Our only disappointment was arriving at the hotel on Saturday night thinking of going to the hotel bar and finding that it was closed. Probably did us no harm anyway!;-)

• Liked — The beautiful view from our room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Blue Mountains, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

I have stayed at many of the most popular business hotels in Hong Kong, but I retruned to this property for a second time, due to an excellent experience here last year. Often I find hotels have difficulty maintaining the high standards they set for themselves however, this is not the case here. Again the experience has been excellent.

After an exhausting trip from Los Angeles, I was promptly met by an extremely pleasant staff member at the airport and was whisked in away in a Mercedes Limo. The driver also very pleasant for 5:00 am. I was met at the door and checked in immediatley and shown to my room.

Hot tea and a large and very fresh bowl of fruit were waiting, which I enjoyed for breakfast.

The rooms are very luxuriously appointed and large, with excellent views over the city or the harbour. The rooms are extremely well equipped for the business traveller; wireless broadband, in room fax machine, and a multi-country/voltage power bar, large desk, and a proper leather multi adjustable office chair, unlike many hotel's that go for looks over function.

The beds are incredibly comfortable, with down filled duvets, and a braod pillow menu. Large flat screen TV and DVD player, and braod range of english channels.

The bathroom is beautifully done in dark wood, and, balck, brown and red marble. Amenities are by L'Occitaine, the best in my opinion. Flat screen TV here as well.

Anything you need, just dial service center or push the butler call button, and service is immediate and very professional. The staff are consistantly outstanding.

A good assortment of restaurants in the hotel, of which I have found again excellent both in quality and service, although as a matter of habit I prefer not to eat in hotels but explore the local cuisine.

I really appreciate the location of this hotel, as it is very convienent for business (5 minutes walk to the Lippo Center) and has a very large shoopping mall at its base (Pacific). Quick taxi ride to good assortment of restaurants, bars and nightclubs.

There is also and excellent gym and spa on the 8th level of the hotel, which includes an 11 meter pool, as well as Sauna's and a steam room. I would highly recommend this Shangri La, as it is clearly the best I have stayed at.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

Me and my g/f stayed at Island Shangri-La for two nights in a Harbour View room and we were thoroughly impressed by this property. Good central location, easy to get around HK. The views are stunning of the harbour and the HK skyline towards Kowloon, very much worth to pay the extra to get the Harbour View room.

Service is as usual top notch as with Shangri-La standards, rooms is well sized for HK hotel standards, good amentities and luxury spilled in the room in Desk, chandelier, TV in the bathroom and so on.

Overall a great luxury hotel in HK.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Buffet Spread
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

Having read so many excellent reviews about the Island Shangri-La, I thoroughly expected to enjoy my 3-night stay here. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Let's start with the positives. The hotel itself is housed in a very modern and striking facility, shared by several office buildings. The location is great for shopping and for exploring the city. We felt that the lobby was very spacious and pleasing to the eyes. No faults there, but that was only the surface of the hotel.

My feeling towards the Island Shangri-La is that it's all style and no substance. Upon a long flight from Los Angeles, we were tired and fully expected a quick check-in. This was not the case, as not only did we have to carry our own luggage but also rudely told to wait in a fairly long line. To add insult to injury, our room wasn't even ready when we asked. They offered to give us a room with a city view, but we declined. We had booked one of the harbour view rooms and did not want to leave with anything less. The staff member who handled our check-in seemed kind of put-off by our adamance and grumbled to himself. Not exactly the attitude we were expecting for a 5-star hotel!

After waiting 20 minutes, we were finally called and led up to our room by a bellhop. He offered with false graciousness to carry my wife's suitcase, yet left me holding my rather bulky briefcase. I was hesitant about giving him a tip after this ignorance, but he refused to leave the room when I did not. My wife had to pass off a $HK 50 bill before he left us alone. The room itself was nice enough, although not as elegant as some of Hong Kong's other luxury hotels. And the harbour view was not nearly as nice as those of the hotels along Tsim Sha Tsui, namely the Peninsula and InterContinental. The decor was also rather ambiguous. An odd mix of Oriental and Western stylings that didn't seem nearly as successful as its leading competitors. Not nearly as elegant or tasteful either.

Our two dining experiences at the hotel were memorable but far from exceptional. Dinner at Summer Palace and Restaurant Petrus, two of the most popular restaurants in the hotel, was overpriced and not worth it. One can find much better restaurants in Hong Kong for those prices in their respective categories. For Cantonese cuisine, we prefer Spring Moon and Man Wah at the Peninsula and Mandarin Oriental. For French cuisine, Gaddi's and Pierre at (again) the Peninsula and Mandarin Oriental are our top picks.

After our terrible stay, we doubt that we'll ever return to the Island Shangri-La. Which is a shame, since we fully expected to be blown away by the hotel as the reviews here suggested. Next time, I'm sticking with the venerable Peninsula and Mandarin Oriental.

• Liked — Nice public spaces
  • Disliked — The very poor service and overpriced restaurants
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Island Shangri-La Hong Kong? Share your experiences!