Stayed a night on 13th August as a treat for the family with three birthdays imminent, including my husband's 50th. Travelled as a family of 2 adults and 3 children (9,12 and 15). We were really looking forward to this stay as we had been in a cheaper hotel sharing a room for the past 3 nights!
We had booked two interconnecting Courtyard rooms. We arrived at around 11am hoping to make the most of our very brief time there but were told by the receptionist (who sounded Eastern European) on check-in that neither room would be ready before 2pm and one of them could be much later. She said that the hotel was full when we asked whether other rooms were available, and suggested that we wait in the lobby (more a dining area than seats with comfortable chairs and sofas) or go out shopping - the latter not especially helpful as the rain was torrential.
A quick look at the hotel website showed there were other courtyard rooms available so we told the same receptionist that we were prepared to take the non interconn rooms. As she started mumbling about it not being possible we were already wondering whether we had made the wrong move in not booking the Four Seasons. More helpfully she offered us the use of the swimming pool, but then another receptionist/manager intervened to apologise for the wait and offered us a suite that could be made ready asap. So we enjoyed a swim and poolside lunch (the first rate staff at the luxurious pool and spa restored our confidence in the Pen) then had a look at the 2nd floor suite. It wasn't quite as practical as a pair of interconnecting rooms, since it had only one bathroom (plus an extra loo) and could only accommodate two foldaway beds so we had to share our bed with our 9 year old. That said, it was pretty impressive: huge, impeccably clean with impressive chandeliers, sculptures and paintings, a great shower, latest tech gadgetries (including a bathroom TV with a waterproof controller in the bath) and had a glimpse view of the harbour. The housekeeping staff were great - nothing was too much trouble for them. Great too was the receptionist or manager who offered the alternative accommodation - the upgrade was nice but more importantly he acted quickly, thoughtfully and in the customer focused way that we would hope to take for granted in a deluxe 5* hotel. Husband received a lovely little cake and birthday card.
On checking out we were served by the same lady we encountered on check-in. The bill she prepared wrongly included extra charges for breakfast - she came up with reasons why this was so but husband patiently pointed out that breakfast was included in our package. Nevertheless we love the Pen despite some negatives mentioned, and we would really like to go back (have to start saving now :-)) when we return to HK next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On 11th December 1928, a legend of Asian hospitality was born – The Peninsula Hong Kong opened its doors for the first time. Classic, contemporary chic arrives at The Peninsula Hong Kong, as this legend of the East redefines luxury once more. Heralding the latest guest-focused technology and a new era of personalisation, the launch of the newly renovated guestrooms in The Peninsula Tower have paved the way for the transformation of guestrooms in the Original Building, which will be unveiled in April 2013 to usher in the hotel’s 85th anniversary celebrations. Accenting simplicity and elegance, the new rooms aesthetic melds the distinctive design touches and high-tech extras present in today’s luxury yachts, motorcars, and private jets, taking The Peninsula guest experience to a new level of comfort. Extensive facilities include a Roman-style swimming pool, a 12,000-square-foot Peninsula Spa, nine award-winning restaurants and bars, superb banqueting and meeting areas, plus a Shopping Arcade.A fleet of fourteen Rolls-Royce limousines is available for luxurious airport transfers, and two MINI Cooper S Clubmen reflect the legendary Grande Dame’s youthful spirit, while the hotel's own helicopter service provides the ultimate in speed and style. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, BookingOdigeoWL, Ctrip DaoDao, getaroom.com, Venere and Otel so you can book your The Peninsula Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Peninsula Hong Kong Hotel Hong Kong
- Peninsula Hong Kong
- Peninsula Hotel Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Peninsula