“Best hotel ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula Hong Kong

You added The Peninsula Hong Kong to your Saves list
The Peninsula Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui | Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Offers & Announcements
Second Night Free
Ranked #6 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Ballingarry, Ireland
“Best hotel ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was the best hotel experience that my husband and I ever enjoyed. Everything was perfect. It surpassed our expectations. The staff were excellent. The food was amazing. The location was central. The pool was so relaxing. The view from the pool terrace of the nightly light show was spectacular.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I came to Hong Kong over 20 years ago and this morning I dropped back into the Peninsula for old times sake. From the first greeting at the door, to the wonderful service as we sipped coffee and reminisced, the Peninsula continued to impress. Nothing has changed; the service is outstanding, the ambience beautiful and restful and the experience is one of a classy establishment that continues to know how to impress. I have carried my memories of afternoon tea at the Peninsula around for all these years and they will carry on with me, renewed and with a happy smile on my face. Thanks to all the attentive staff for making me feel so welcome and valued.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

THE place to stay when in Hong Kong. Enjoyed a Grand Deluxe Harbour View Room which has fantastic views of the HK skyline. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Fantastic ambiance. For a nice drink head to the Felix bar on the top floor. The Pen is a great starting point as well to enjoy the city. Ferries, underground and limos are all near by.

Room Tip: Grand Deluxe Harbour View room for nice views of the skyline
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

It is the Peninsula, what more can be said. The hotel had someone waiting for us at the gate coming off the plane. Electric cart brought us straight to customs. A Merc was waiting after customs. Really grand and well maintained hotel. I would recommend the old building over the new as I think it has more charm and character.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hawker, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The public areas, rooms and service could not be better. Treat yourself to at least one night when in Hong Kong, and spring for a room with a view of Victoria Harbor. Expensive but you get what you pay for.

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was looking forward to staying at the Peninsular as everyone seems to rave about how fantastic it is. I was warned about the hotel now being patronised by the new rich, but thought "How bad can it be?"

Transfers and Check-in:
Met at the airbridge and taken by shuttle to immigration and helped with our luggage. Nothing special as other Hotels like Mandarin Oriental offer this service. The 2 of us were driven in a 7 seater van to the hotel as we had golf bags, otherwise it would have been the Rolls or the Merc. Met at the front door and escorted to our room where we were checked in. That was good as we did not have to wait in a queue.

The Room:
Nice spacious room with separate shower stalls and bathtub with a TV to boot. There were a His & Hers sinks with appropriate amenities. What i thought unusual was that the cleaning lady did not top up (replace) the shaving or the dental kit after I used them the first day. I have not come across this in any of the hotels that I have stayed in.
Complimentary coffee making facilities and water. There was a bowl of fruit that was replaced daily. Well thought out room with plenty of power points suitable for various international plugs. There was even a charging station with a whole range of power adapters to suite various makes of mobile phones and tablets. Minibar was adequate.

The Freebies:
Free wireless internet with good signal and usability. Multiple login is permitted and is also available throughout the hotel.
Free local calls
Free VOIP international Calls - quality was pretty good.
Free use of an in-room printer
Free Movies channel on the TV with the latest release on demand.
No iron or Ironing board - you are not expected to wash in your rooms.

Breakfast
This was included in our package. The first day we had breakfast in the lobby. The table service was good and we had the traditional ham(or sausage, not both) and eggs, juice or pancake breakfast. Choice was limited.
The next day we had breakfast in the first floor. There was a reasonable range of food from Chinese, Japanese to pastries and fruit. It was pretty good, not the best.

Swimming Pool
The indoor swimming pool is luxurious and well appointed with good views over the harbour.

Afternoon High Tea
We booked a table in advance and was seated at the appointed time. There was a long queue of people waiting to be seated for afternoon tea. It is a tradition passed down from the old colonial days, and the hotel is well know for this. Our 3 tiered tray of food was adequate to serve 5 people. This was a pleasant experience.

Service:
The chauffeur who picked us up from the airport was excellent.. Most of the staff were also very good and pleasant. However I did not feel that I was special, something I expect from an excellent hotel. I suspect that as the majority of the clientele of the Peninsular has changed the staff have adapted to the guests. Although it has tried to maintain its traditional Colonial past, it has to cater for the new rich whose expectations and demands are different. They do no expect to have to queue for their turn.

So what was wrong?
Check out was a disaster. (Nobody told me I could have asked for an in room check-out. Really?)
Although I waited patiently for 5 minutes to be served, a queue jumper (the hotel's new rich clientele) barged in and was immediately served, ahead of me by the female receptionist! Four staff at the desk, 2 serving and 2 busy with the computer, none made eye contact to acknowledge my presence in all the time I stood there waiting to be served. Not what i expect of a 5 star hotel. After I complained bitterly about the way I was not being served, and had to demand to see the Duty Manager, before Andrea Michelle Platts, the Assistant Front Desk Manager appeared. She said "Sorry". She thanked me for bringing this matter to her attention. She did not care to identify the offending staff, but I guess it would not have been appropriate at the time. Somehow I felt that this was a gloss over. The hotel had not adequately trained their staff to handle these generation of ill mannered clienteles.
Andrea, how hard is it to train your staff to make all your guests (rich & poor) feel special? Even if they are busy typing on a computer, a simple look up, a smile and "I will be with you soon" is all it takes.
No, I did not feel special!
Lesser known hotels have made me feel special and that's what keeps me going back, not the freebies or the Rolls or the helicopter ride!
Thank you TripAdvisor for allowing me to tell Andrea and the rest of the world my experience at the Peninsular.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
peninsula_phk, Front Office Manager at The Peninsula Hong Kong, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Dr. Lim,

Greetings from The Peninsula Hong Kong. We were deeply troubled to read of your prevailing disappointment following the incident that occurred upon your check out. I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate our sincerest apologies for what happened, and would like to assure you that the assisting of another guest who, in fact, approached the counter after you, was certainly not an intentionally malicious act, but rather a lack of awareness on our staff’s side. We would also like to assure you that the issue was immediately addressed with the concerned staff and that we are striving to eliminate further recurrences of any such incidents by conducting internal training with our staff. We fully appreciate the insights you offered, and you were right to expect a better handling of the situation from a Hotel of our caliber. I sincerely hope that the incident did not entirely tarnish your impression of The Peninsula Hong Kong and do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, and to restore your confidence in our Hotel. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to share any further insights – we most welcome them – and in the meantime, allow me to reiterate my apologies once again for the disappointment and inconvenience brought upon you.

Yours sincerely,
Andrea Platts
Assistant Front Office Manager
The Peninsula Hong Kong

Direct : (852) 2696 6503
Email : andreaplatts@peninsula.com
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stellar hotel and service.
Expensive but you get what you pay.
Hotel staff from drivers, reception, housekeeping, restaurant and concierge were polite, courteous and helpful,
Great location. Close to transport and shops.
Indulge in breakfast or afternoon tea in lobby. Great ambience.
Put it on the bucket list.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Peninsula Hong Kong? Share your experiences!