My family and I visited the excelsior hotel in October this year. My mum was on a business trip and so we were allocated rooms on the executive floors. The rooms are spacey with a range of drawers and space to put clothes. The rooms and bathrooms are clean, and the maids tidy them (very well) every day. We were given free internet connection due to the purpose of our stay, but it was easily accessible and the prices were reasonable.
Breakfast in the executive lounge was delicious, with a definite variety of food about! Also, as part of the executive lounge, we received lunch, afternoon tea, and snacks for free whenever! The staff in the lounge were wonderful, very polite and quick to learn names which made you feel special. I do recommend the upgrade, it may be slighty more expensive, but you do get what you pay for. Otherwise, there is a range of quick snack cafes to traditional restaurants around. The restaurants we visited were TOTT's which offers an exceptional view over the harbour and the traditional Cantonese restaurant. These were both of very high standard. There is also a bar/pub which is VERY BRITISH downstairs. Throughout the day it is filled with obviously British men and women, with football or rugby playing on the TV's and recognisable music playing over the sound system. This is a lovely 'homely' getaway from the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong.
Other nights we ventured out to the centre of hong kong which is a very quick metro ride away. Most of the population chose to ride via metro, but it is not busy. It is very well sign posted, with LED lights noting which stop you are at and even which side of the carriage to exit! The prices are also AMAZING! I would recommend buying an 'oyster' card or as they call it 'octopus' card. They may not make it quite clear about the conditions, but we later found out after opting not to buy these, that they were a much better deal. You can travel the metro, the bus, the ferry and the tram with these cards, and if you do not use your credit by the end of your stay, you simply return to an information desk and they give you the money back which you have no spent!
The hotel views look out upon the harbour which at night is a sight to see. In the day time, the heavy smog that hangs over Hong Kong does prevent you from seeing too far out. I definitely recommend the markets in Hong Kong, even if you do not buy anything, they are worth a wonder round. Especially the night market over on Kowloon. You can definitely find knock of brands for fractions of the prices, especially a lot of Polo Ralph Lauren!
The hotel are also very helpful with troubleshooting. We left a laptop on the plane and realized when we got to the hotel. Luckily our airline crew were actually checking in at the exact same time as us, and they managed to give us the flight phone number. The hotel then took things into their own hands and did everything for us. We arrived at about 4pm local Hong Kong time, and by 9pm that evening the laptop was with us.
The concierge and desk staff are very helpful. They can help with absolutely anything, and are very kind.
I would gladly return to the excelsior hotel. The welcoming staff, cleanliness and general atmosphere all should be praised tremendously. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in Hong Kong, and I do not doubt that this was mainly down to the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of Causeway Bay, the shopping centre of Hong Kong Island, The Excelsior, Hong Kong is only a five-minute drive from the city's central business district and 40 minutes by MTR from Hong Kong International Airport. The hotel features five exclusive Executive Floors with a private lounge, a fully equipped business centre, a state-of-the-art Fitness Centre featuring advanced fitness equipment and dedicated spa facilities, as well as extensive meeting and banquet facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Mandarin Oriental, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, HotelTravel.com, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Agoda, getaroom.com, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your The Excelsior, Hong Kong reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Excelsior, Hong Kong Hotel Hong Kong
- Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong
- Excelsior Hotel Hong Kong
- Excelsior Hong Kong