“If you stay anywhere else in Hong Kong, you need to have your head checked” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong

You added Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.5 Connaught Road, Central, Hong Kong, China (Central)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
U.S.A.
“If you stay anywhere else in Hong Kong, you need to have your head checked”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

An open letter to the MO. Enjoy!

Dear Mr. French:

Thnx for your e-mail.

I just wanted to e-mail you to let you know how much I enjoyed my last trip at the Mandarin.

I was travelling on biz with my wife.

We just arrived from Singapore-- we were staying at the Four Seasons.

We had a terrible experience-- with my wife getting sick off of a milk shake and roaches underneath the hot tray when we ordered room service.

Not to mention that the elevator broke down the day we were checking out so we almost missed our flight + our baggage was not guaranteed to arrive with us due to our tardiness.

So when we boarded that Sing flight-- we were exhausted, sick and not looking forward to another experience like the one at the FS.

Luckily, we were blessed with an entirely opposite experience.

Upon our arrival to HK, we were exhausted and hired the MO limousine to take us to the hotel (we were originally going to take the airport express).

From the minute we got into the Benz (the airport people were excellent by the way, please tell them to keep up the good work-- a lot of the airport pick services no longer really take pride in what they do), we were whisked to a very relaxing atmosphere.

Check in was literally done when we opened the door at the MO.

The attendant was very nice and professional-- although it is not unusual by MO, please let her know how much we appreciated her attitude. I know that the attendant (I am very bad with names) must show tens of people to their rooms each day-- but after our ordeal, you don't know how much it means to someone to see a friendly face trying to help them in any way possible.

Also, I must say that the suite you provided to us was magnificent, and we really enjoyed it while it lasted. We had to move to a smaller room after our stay extended to about two weeks-- but it was great while it lasted. (The Acqua de Parma stuff is great.)

The service was generally impeccable-- other than the VERY MINOR quibbles of turndown service missing our room once everything was great.

Just between you and I, although I had no trouble with the service at the MO (it was excellent by any means), it seemed the people were more attentive when we were staying at the suite-- which is not a bad thing (although because we were spoiled from staying at the suite and moving to a superior room, it relatively seemed to feel that way).

However, what sticks out the most in terms of appreciation and the level of service is what the MO did NOT get right. Everything else was almost perfect over two weeks, and I know it sounds strange, but let me explain.

My wife has a craving for milkshakes (the cause of one our fiascos in Sing)-- she ordered one from room service when I was at a biz meeting. She didn't like it and called room service-- saying it tasted like instant coffee. The room attendant (an elderly man by the name of Elan (?)) came in and apologized profusely and said he would get another. Again, she didn't like it and called him again. At that point, most attendants would have given up or would have requested that the guest pick another item.

Instead, Elan (I hope I am getting his name right) told her that he would keep getting milkshakes until he got it right. That kind of attitude you don't find in hotels like these. I really think you should give a shout out to this guy and let him know that this is the attitude that really needs recognition. In the end, my wife was so impressed with his attitude that she just kept the milkshake. (You don't easily impress a woman like my wife-- as she follows me on all my biz trips and takes full advantage of the facilities at hotels.)

I think that this single episode epitomizes our stay at the MO. I have stayed at various hotels in HK and the world-- and I prefer the FS (in terms of hotel chains) and I guess I still do. Moreover, I was a guest at FS Place when it first opened up in HK for two years. However, my experience at the MO has changed my view-- especially in HK-- as i plan to stay at the MO exclusively, and this has loosened my prejudice for staying at the FS when visiting other cities.

Keep up the good work.

I really don't take the time to write a long e-mail like this-- I just fill out your surveys, so I hope you take the time to share this feedback with your employees.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

The Hotel is excellent. The rooms, service and location are high quality. The location in Central Station area make it convenient for business and shopping.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Parking for business associates trying to meet with me at hotel
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2009

Having grown up, over decades, with the Mandarin's colossal reputation, it was a bit daunting to book to actually stay there for the first time. Would it live up to that reputation? And would the much-vaunted renovation live up to its hype?

We need not have worried. This stay was just superb. The hotel was pretty much everything that an ideal hotel should be. This included the email before arrival specifically to ask whether we needed a transfer from the airport on arrival; effortless compliance with a request that two separate rooms, booked separately and checked-into at opposite ends of the same day, should be on the same floor; and overnight pressing and shoeshine services that are collected from a valet service cupboard accessible from inside and outside your room so you don't have to open the room door to put stuff out, or wait for collection.

The room itself is beautifully fitted out. It would take pages to describe it. But just about everything has been carefully thought out, and was in good working order. Unlike many hotel rooms, there is ample lighting if you want it, but many subtle controls to vary it to how you would like. A room-to-room phone call tells the recipient, by name, who is calling. And the room even comes with things that I would never have dreamt of thinking about: the mirror in the bathroom, which inevitably steams up when you take a shower, has a large patch in the middle which doesn't really mist over because it's heated.

Service is also exemplary. The check-in process, for example, pauses only momentarily at the front counter - just long enough to take a credit card swipe. The rest is done after the staff member takes you up to your room. Phone queries and requests were dealt with quickly and accurately. And assistance was always on hand when needed.

It was almost a relief to discover some wrinkles. In the Clipper Lounge, there was the occasional dropping of a ball - having to ask a second time for the bill, for example, or having to wait for a specific brand of beer to be fetched from another bar. And in the room, housekeeping lined up the part-used bottles of shower gel etc without noticing that one of them was virtually empty. But I'm sure that if it had mattered, another one would have appeared within minutes of a phone call.

All this comes at a price, of course. It's definitely a splurge treat. But does the hotel deliver what it promises? Yes, it does.

• Liked — Almost perfect room and service.
  • Disliked — High price.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Avignon/ France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

I spent 5 days and 4 nights in the magnificent Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Hong Kong. Everything was perfect there : from my arrival at Hong Kong's airport until my departure to Paris 5 days later. Limousine service with new Mercedes car, large room with fantastic view , incredible service.
It was my first visit in Hong Kong and Macao.
I recommend this fantastic hotel .
Warm regards
Christian Chentrier
France

• Liked — modern and
  • Disliked — breakfast lounge not spacious enough
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel many times. It was great before the renovation completed in 2006 and is even better since.
Rarely do hotels completely live up to reputation. This one does and it holds its position in HK as the best of the best for good reason..............world class.

• Liked — Stylish throughout
  • Disliked — Wish it wasn't quite so expensive but you do get what you pay for!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

this was a post nite after our azamara southeast asia cruise; the only glitch was checking in and finding out that amex had denied the "fine resorts pkg" since i had booked it so far in advance; with the patience of the front desk, it was finally resolved ( i'm sure i could have gotten a cheaper rate if i didnt book it w amex). The room, the amenities and the staff were first rate. I used the services of the concierge , they were outstanding in obtaining restaurant reservations and confirmation of my return flt home. we used their car service to the airport and were greeted by staff members of the hotel at the airport to assist in unloading our luggage and guiding us to the check in counter, they did not leave until our boading passes were issued. Now........where in the world does one receive such personalized srvice?? I forgot to also mention that dining in the hotel and even shopping at one of their fine stores elicted the same consistent courteous service. although priced at the high end, i would conclude to say "it was worth every penny"..

• Liked — location, service, reputation
Manchester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

We stayed at the MO over Christmas 2008 for the first leg of our honeymoon, and were blown away by the design, location and service in this hotel.
Our room overlooked the harbour and Kowloon, and we were particularly impressed with the bathroom and with the general oriental decor.
We also rather over-enjoyed the cocktails in the bar on the top floor! Service every where in the hotel was attentive but never intrusive, and everyone was happy to help - particularly the concierge, who gave us lots of recommendations for trips.
We knew once we left here it would be downhill on the hotel front!

• Liked — Comfort of room
  • Disliked — Nothing!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong? Share your experiences!