“BRILLIANT HOTELKEEPING . . .” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong

You added Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.5 Connaught Road, Central, Hong Kong, China (Central)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Celebration Retreat Offer
Ranked #5 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
London
“BRILLIANT HOTELKEEPING . . .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I would agree with everybody who rates this hotel highly. No wonder it wins award after award. Apart from the tradition and location (super-convenient for the Star ferry and the Apple store), and the discreet luxury (proper mattresses, fabulously soft pillows, a Nespresso coffee machine in the room, Room Service that took seconds rather than minutes to arrive, a wonderful spa of exemplary cleanliness, a simply outstanding breakfast buffet, 'his and her' slippers in different sizes and colours, some great toiletries from Hermes, etc, etc), it was the feeling of generous hospitality towards me and my partner that I especially valued when we stayed here in early December 2013.

Of course nothing is too much trouble (it's a 5* hotel, after all) but they make you feel as if your custom (in my case a standard room, for one night only, booked at the last minute through an agency due to lack or time) is important to them. In the ultra-competitive world of Hong Kong hotels, it stands head and shoulders above most of the competition, in my eyes

David Barnes, Manila

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and opt for a harbour view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed here Christmas day as a family treat and every aspect of our stay was perfect. Our harbour view room was perfect, a rollaway bed had been set up for out 5 year old son, complete with some toys and a snack as a welcome gift. The best shower I've had in a hotel all year. The Christmas buffet dinner was also superb, complete with a christmas carol singers. The quality of the breakfast is one of the best too.
Only one problem with our stay, our airport limo driver drove off with my son's toys still in the car, however the hotel had them tracked him down and had the toys returned shortly after dinner.
100% great hotel. we will be back!

Room Tip: Harbour view, high floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Hands down one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The rooms were incredibly luxurious and spacious, the staff incredibly helpful and the facilities amazing.

I have never stayed in a more comfortable room. I was travelling for business but would loved to have just been able to lounge in the room all day long.

My only qualm is that my stay happened during their 50th anniversary celebration, and a large portion of the hotel was shut down and inaccessible for most of my four day stay. I thought it was a bit arrogant and pointless to inconvenience an entire of hotel worth of guests paying a hefty rate just to pat oneself on the back for 50 years of great service. Quite contradictory.

That being said it wont keep me from coming back and I would encourage everyone else to do so as well!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I used to live in Hong Kong, and my husband and I often met friends after work at the Captain's Bar off the Mandarin Oriental lobby. So when we left Hong Kong and then started to visit, we liked the hotel's location, in the middle of Central, and, of course, the bar, so stayed there. We now come back every year or two and wouldn't stay anywhere else. In addition to a terrific location, it has simply the best service I have experienced in any hotel. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly, and willing to meet virtually any need, all without being intrusive in any way. The rooms are not huge, but they are very well thought out in terms of storage and work space and beautifully appointed and decorated, with extremely comfortable beds and lovely pillows and linens. We ate only breakfast at the hotel (although the various restaurants have always been very good), and both the extensive Clipper Lounge buffet and the a la carte restaurant are excellent. Although I didn't have a chance to use spa services this trip, the spa and gym are also very well appointed; I did swim every day in the pool (where the attendant provides water, fresh fruit and lovely shortbread biscuits). No matter how busy we are during our visit, a stay at the Mandarin always leaves me feeling pampered and refreshed.

Room Tip: Higher up is better, but height doesn't really matter on the Statue Square side.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

A beautiful hotel in Central Hong Kong. On arrival at our hotel our luggage was whisked away check-in was fast and we were lead to our room which was beautiful with Harbour View. A bottle of champagne was sent to us with compliments of the hotel and anything we asked for was never too much trouble.

Breakfast was plentiful but getting to the food was a little hard at times as the food was kept in the buffet under a glass top and you had to bend down and pull things out, maybe the hotel could look at doing away with the glass top (even though it looks lovely).

Room Service was prompt and food was always delicious.

Designer shopping at the doorstep of this hotel.

Soho dining 5 minutes away by cab and the peak didnt take more than 15 minutes by cab to get to.

Train to Hong Kong airport a few minutes away by cab.

I cannot fault this hotel it was a delight to stay here and the staff were amazing.

Thank you to all the staff at the Mandarin

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Navi Mumbai, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Loved staying here early this month, Dec 2013. Had to travel to HK for business. Had heard so much about this hotel. I always get a bit skeptical when I hear something so positive. But it turned out to be a really wonderful experience. The client had also organised a event at this place that I was coordinating. The staff was very open and cooperative, the food at the Causette was excellent! Room service was good too! The rooms weren't cold! that tends to be my pet peeve. I don't like hotel rooms that are kept like freezers! The health club - gym and sauna were excellent too! The pool was a bit disappointing...too small for such a hotel. The breakfast was a little disappointing experience...the wait was too long and they forgot my order 3 times...But I didn't want to let it really bother me...it was fine. Overall, a great experience! I highly recommend!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Budapest, Hungary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I have spent In mandarain oriental one week in Decemeber for a business meeting. Business facilities are good. Rooms really fabtastic, with all comfort one would wish.... including bathroom and cleanness.

What did not impress me: the food. Breakfast is really nice and a high variety of food - but staff is totally chaotic.

Concerning restaurant - we had the lunch and once the dinner also in hotel... The oyster and the sushi dinner made me a really bad night..... and sorry! - vomiting! nad others from our group experienced the same. Just an advise: better avoid seafood!!

Room Tip: I think all rooms are fantastic! But choose some other reastaurant!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong? Share your experiences!