“Greatness in Hospitality!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong

You added Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.5 Connaught Road, Central, Hong Kong, China (Central)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Daily Dining / Spa Credit
Ranked #5 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 stars 1,504 Reviews
Moscow, Russia
“Greatness in Hospitality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Even though we stayed for only a couple of nights I can easily say that this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. It was our first visit to Hong Kong and staying at the Mandarin made the whole thing so much better.

It's already been two month since we visited but I still remember how I was most impressed with the approach of all the staff in the hotel and how helpful everyone was... especially one particular lady receptionist who I don't remember the name of but she really stretched the word customer service to a whole new level.

We booked a more superior room that put us in one of the higher floors. The room was off the charts and we hardly wanted to get out of there. Definitely one of the better hotel rooms we have stayed in. The Bed was amazingly comfortable and obviously the view is something you don't get to see every day.

Lobby area is beautiful with much movement by a more upper class public that makes you feel a part of something big. I don't think we managed to eat something in the hotel but I had a spa treatment and it was great. Another nice element is that from the second floor you can directly reach a very nice shopping centre through a skybridge.

To summarize, there is luxury written all over the Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong and you just feel great being there, like being a part of it. It's not so easy to explain in words but once you'll visit I'm sure you'll understand what I mean.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

The best hotel in Hong Kong by a country mile! No request was too much trouble.

The level of service I received was fantastic!! I used the hotel as a meeting point for clients and it worked well

One slight issue I have is the charge for wifi however you can use multiple devices on one code.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Wincanton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

One of our favourite Hotels. Service is outstanding. Many of the staff have been there for years. We are always made to feel very welcome. Any request is dealt with promptly, efficiently and courteously. A real treat.

Room Tip: Choose a room high up away from the lift. If you can get a room with a view of the harbour.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed in this wonderful hotel for just over 2 weeks, and while it was lovely, there were things that they could brush up on. Service and communication between staff needs to be reviewed. No-one wants to be waiting an hour for their room service! Overall, a lovely hotel, clean and easily accessible

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at the Mandarin for one night, on my way back from Tokyo. I arrived fairly late, and asked for a room without a connecting door. This took 5 minutes to sort out! On arrival in my room there was a connecting door! Many apologies, good result, upgraded to full harbour view room with great view, and comlementary binoculors. Really luxurious room, the upgrade as produced top class furnishings, really solid wood doors etc. However, first problem, £15 per day for wifi. I think this is outrageous when you are paying upwards of £400 for the room. Also, took some time to find the loo, my fault, concealed as if a cupboard! Lighting, however is a concern. A console near the bed had 7 different buttons, controlling each light, and was impossible to read, unless you brought it to within 3 inches! What is the point of that? The shower was great, once you worked out how to use it, as the taps for the shower and the sink were different! However, a very nice room, various goodies to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Confortable bed, though having a duvet cover with a space at the end involved getting tanged up. I mentioned this last time we stayed, but no change. Excellent aircon, that is effective and quiet, which I consider important

Picking up a theme from another reviewer, I was disappointed by the Coffee Shop. I always have Hainan Chicken, which is a signature dish. 'Sorry, we have run out', was not acceptable, especially as my second choice, wonton soup, was not available either. For the best hotel in the world, this is not acceptable. I had Thai noodles, and the bean curd was cold. To be fair this was dealt with immediately, with hot replacements, though no suggestion to reduce the bill!

Room Tip: If you can get a full harbour view room, well worthwhile.
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I travel through Hong Kong a little bit, and like to try out the different hotels around the place. The entrance hall has been done up but the layout has the appearance of an old style hotel - which it was. Check in was efficient and I was quickly to my room. The room itself was pretty good, the bathroom layout was a bit strange (with the basin in the middle between the bath and shower) but it was all well appointed. As usual for hotel rooms, there was no easily available power near the bed which made it a little awkward. Although I had a small view over to Kowloon, I was also right above the traffic on Connaught and the other roads below. They were busy all night and kept waking me up. So it was a restless night. Breakfast was nice, although it was a bit cramped and busy. I was pretty happy to be checking out and won't be back there soon.

Room Tip: try to avoid the busy traffic on Connaught ... it might keep you up all night.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I had stayed here several times many years ago with my wife and young children. Since then it has been refurbished and I think in the process it has lost some of its quintessential grand old Hong Kong character. The rooms are luxurious to be sure, with a wet-room style shower but the layout is rather odd, lacking an overall enclosed bathroom area. At the end of a long day I was looking forward to wonton noodle soup but was told that they had run out of the right sort of noodle and I would have to choose between two types of rice noodle. Sorry, but I think when you are running a Chinese restaurant in this class of hotel you ought to keep a decent supply of noodles in stock.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong? Share your experiences!