“Pleasant Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong

You added Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.5 Connaught Road, Central, Hong Kong, China (Central)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #5 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Bodalla, Australia
“Pleasant Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental early November 2013. We had a Harbour Room booked and on arrival were upgraded to a suite room. The Suite was a nicer room, but we were a bit disappointed with our new view of a building, rather than the harbor view that we were looking forward to. We asked about the harbor view and were told that the room we were upgraded to was a better room, and no harbor view rooms were available. Even though two days before I had received an email confirming the harbor view room. Apart from that, the room was very nice. The breakfast at the restaurant was also good and the location was great. It was and easy walk to the ferry, only 10 minutes. Fast free internet was available in the room along with nearly everything you could ever need. Bathroom was very nice, shower, spa bath and even a television. I would recommend the Mandarin Oriental to others for a very nice room in a good location.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

As expected the service and facilities are top class at the MO in HK.

I find it unfortunate that they elect to charge a fee for in-room wi-fi. It's such a ubiquitous requirement now that, especially in a 5 Star hotel such as this, charging for it makes me feel less wanted as a guest. At HKD3250 a night it should be free.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

In every major city, new hotels start up every year, each nicer, grander and technologically more advanced. Given that, it seems that the Mandarin Oriental wouldn't stand a chance, it being one of the oldest hotels in Hong Kong (this year marks its 50th anniversary!). And yet, even after trying the newer Ritz Carlton in Kowloon and the Four Seasons in the IFC, I find myself coming back again to the Mandarin.

I'll be the first to say its rooms are not the biggest, the lobby not the grandest, the gadgets not the latest. But what more than makes up for that is its truly exceptional service and the wonderful attention to detail of every staff. It is as if their main KPI was to exceed every guest's expectations.

Some examples: Even though I asked for two newspapers (WSJ and FT), I got 3 every morning (including the South China Morning Post) and on one morning even 4 (the International New York Times). When I had dinner at the Cafe with my wife and daughter, straightaway, drawing pens appeared, with colouring books. When the waiter noticed that my wife didn't eat much of her veggie burger, he immediately enquired and the item was discreetly removed from the bill. Seeing an iPad on my desk, a microfibre cloth appeared the next day. When I took that with me, another appeared. Room service food generally arrived comfortably before the estimated time, and always delicious.

If I had to nitpick, I'd say the gym has room for improvement. The Four Seasons is the benchmark here, with great harbour views and free flow of customised juices and coffees. On my first evening, I went for a 10k run on the treadmill. The overeager attendant kept walking back and forth behind me, visible in the reflection, which was distracting. To make matters worse, as I was getting into the home stretch, he started talking to me!! No, no and no! The gym needs to take a leaf from the cafe's book: Usually, the waiters are nowhere to be seen but the moment you need anything, they miraculously appear - same thing should apply to the gym.

On the final day, a car brought us to the airport. A hotel staff was there ready to take all our luggage from the car to the check in counter. I was flying economy but it sure felt like first class!

The Hong Kong hotel market must be one of the most competitive in the world (much like everything else in Hong Kong). To be able to stand out so consistently amongst formiddable opposition is truly amazing.

So yes, I am a fan!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I stayed there for 2 nights, for the first time. I chose it because I have stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore several times, which I think is great. The Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong lived up to its reputation. A wonderful hotel. Outstanding staff. The only minor issue concerns the restaurants. Their reputation is so high, that many non-hotel guests seem to eat there. My restaurant of choice was booked out, but the concierge went to great lengths to find me a spot (successfully). You should try to make a restaurant booking before you arrive in Hong Kong. Overall, a wonderful experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Florida, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Our dinner in December 2012 prior to our midnight departure from Hong Kong was the best way to end our visit. We had originally planned to come for tea but arrived much later and ended up with the dinner buffet. It was outstanding and the best buffets I have ever had. The sushi was so fresh and they had some items that I had never seen before. The hot items were delicious and they had a huge assortment. The desserts were delectable and beautiful to look at. I am looking forward to going back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Selling a package and not living up to it saying said package is subject to availability only, when you check in is really below a fine hotel Like this. After even emailing them to confirm the package, without reply from the hotel, they still did not honor it but admitting both receiving the email and the package they offered, strangely it was not available but if we would have paid another 2700 HK dollar said package would have been available. STRANGE. Front desk even arguing instead of apologising, never again. This package is no longer on the web page of MOHK so I guess us criticising them selling something they had no plans to honor is no more which is good for future travellers, I guess in Europe it would be called a scam selling something you do not intent to honor. Fantastic room and nice hotel but the whole stay was ruined by the fromt office and the offer they did not honor which sad to say was prepaid else we would have walked out.

Room Tip: DO NOT PREPAY, make sure you get what you reserved.
Montvale, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

In my humble opinion this is finest hotel in the world. I’ve stayed at the Mandarin at least a dozen times over last ten years and have never ever been disappointed. The consistency in service and quality is astounding in today’s environment. The room lay out and amenities are phenomenal. From the double head shower, super comfortable bed and pillows, massive wall mounted TV to the master lighting bedside control panel. There is a valet closet accessible from the hallway to pick up dry cleaning or deliver packages/paper. They thought of everything, even the art in the hallways. They refurbished all the rooms a few years ago, but keep the essence and ambience of the hotel in tact.

After a long flight, I know regardless of the time of day or night, my check in will start with a big “welcome back”. A two-minute check-in and then I’m walked up to my room with my bags no more than 2 minutes behind. I’m offered some complimentary tea to relax and also opt for room service. I ordered the Mandarin club that arrived in 30 minutes and was terrific as usual. In the corner, my iron and starch that they always place in the room to freshen up my shirts.

What ever you feel like for breakfast. A spectacular buffet or the Mandarin Café that services the most amazing breakfast I’ve ever had. The Mandarin cake shop has pastries and fresh coffee if you want something light to go. The other food options – Man Wah and the Grill – excellent. There is nothing better than happy hour at the Captains Bar off the lobby. The hotel location is walking distance to everything you need in central.

I’ve stayed at many 5 star hotels and from top to bottom this the finest. Service, location, amenities, and people – you feel like part of the family. The Mandarin staff do all the small things that make the stay here so enjoyable and a special experience. I can go on all day with story after story about how the MO raises the bar. Bottom line, this is the benchmark that no other hotel has ever been able to equal during all my travels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong? Share your experiences!