“HOME FAR AWAY FROM HOME ! WORTH EVERY PENNY !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Homy Inn

Save Saved
You added Homy Inn to your Saves list
Homy Inn
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   6/F & 7B Union Mansion 33-35 Chatham Road South, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Ranked #12 of 133 Specialty lodging in Hong Kong
Penang Island, Malaysia
“HOME FAR AWAY FROM HOME ! WORTH EVERY PENNY !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I've stayed in six different three hostels in HK before and by far Homy Inn was the best hostel I've ever stayed in HK. Great location 5 minute walk to Harbour City, 2 minute walk to East TST MTR, 1 minute walk to Nathan Road and 0 second walk to pubs of Hart Avenue, friendly hosts, five stars service, immaculately clean rooms, comfortable beds with decent mattresses.

Special thanks to Andy and the lady who was on morning shift duty on 18/9/2013. I'll definitely return next year !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is also an overdue review. The staffs are very welcoming and hospitable. The location is very strategic and central. The room, it is a bit small, but that's Hong Kong's room all about in the central area so we kind of accept it. Also, we have read the review before so we have expected this condition before. The room is very new and clean. Water dispenser is available which is very important. We recommend this place for those who want to have a visit in Tsim Sha Tsui on budget.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is a great spot, with good clean modern (small, of course) rooms in a great locations just off Nathan Road. Winny and Ricky were welcoming hosts. Considering where it is, it's very quiet. You just need to step out of the building for the hustle and bustle.

Please note this review is for their newer rooms in the Wing Lee buildings on Kimberley Rd. I would defo go back to this one again.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I always thought I am someone rustic and down to earth, until I spent a night in this hostel. My husband and I, both in our late 30's, booked a room for 3 nights here Oct 2012. I even assured him this would be a much decent place comparing to Chungking Mansion.
Well it is at a good location, 3 min walk from the main Nathan Road. Reception is friendly and helpful. But the room is just TINY and PATHETIC. I am only a 5ft 4", my head touched one wall and my feet touched the opposite one when in bed. I could hardly turn around and when I did, my nose touched the other wall.
I woke up in the middle of the night, felt terribly claustrophobic. I rushed out and went down to the street, took a deep breath, and wait till the break of dawn.
We decided to move out, whether or not they refund us. The hotel few blocks away cost us double the price, but lesson well learned.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My rating is based on my bad experience in 3 out of the 5 nights I stayed there. I will try to be as accurate as possible in explaining why.

As other reviews state, the hotel has two different locations, 5 minutes far from each other. I arrived at the main location, in the Union Mansion, where I stayed the first 4 nights. For the people that don't know how are these hostels, they are in huge appartment blocks, at the end of dodgy corridors, which may be a bit claustrophobic. I have to say I had no problem with that.

The reception staff was great; friendly and helpful. I got the room 601, at the end of the corridor right next to the reception desk, and near other 3 rooms (other rooms were in different corridors or at the other building). The first day I noticed that the room was very noisy, being close to the reception desk and with walls/doors that seem like nothing for the noise. The room was tiny, but I already knew about that, with barely space to put the suitcase, a small bed and tiny toilet/bathroom. There was no window, which may be a bit claustrophobic as well. There was a ventilation pipe, going god knows where in the building. Even if the room was noisy, the first night I was so tired that I got sleep very deeply and did not notice anything.

My problems started the 2nd night. Starting around midnight and until 3am there was a LOT OF NOISE coming from the small reception corridor. It looked like people coming and going, shouting in chinese right next to my door, and moving/hitting things. Normally I don´t bother about noise for sleeping, but this was really strong and right on the other side of my door. The next day I told the guys at the reception desk and they told me that it was not normal, and it should not happen again any other night. The following night (3rd) was more or less the same. Then, the following day, I asked the reception guys to move me to another room, because I could not stay again like that. They told me that there was no room available for that night, but that they would contact all the other guests to keep quiet at night. This did not convince me, but there was not much I could do.

The worst was the 4th night, with again extremely strong and sharp noises and shouting right on the other side of my door, combined with a few nights before of barely sleeping. Looked like many people, shouting in chinese, and again hitting things. The obvious thing would have been to open the door and ask them to stop, but there is something you have to understand about these places: the reception people leave at 11pm, and then you are at the end of a tiny corridor, with no window, in the 6th floor of a crappy building, with lots of people between you and the exit shouting in chinese. Can be a bit intimidating, to be honest. That night, around 3am, I send an email to the reception saying that if they could not change my room for the last night, I would move to a different hotel for that stay, even losing my payment.

Then, for the last day, they changed my room, actually to the second building. I have to say that I liked this location much more, and also my room was a bit bigger, and, importantly, it had a big window! It was actually quite noisy before midnight, with a family with some kids shouting in the corridor, but it did not lasted long and, compared to the other room, it looked like heaven.

So, I would say that the experience would depend a lot on the room you get.
Rooms, anyway, are tiny, but that´s HK.
Staff is extremely nice and friendly. I got the impression that Andy tried to help me as much as he can, and I appreciate that.
Price is cheap for HK standards.
Location is great, just in TST, next to the MTR, the promenade, etc.

Room Tip: Try to specify that you want a room with window. I liked more the second location, facing Chatham Rd...
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The best part of the place is the location. Close proximity to the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR (about 6-10mins walk) and the shops and eateries. Although the room and bathroom are really tiny, it has all the amenities of a hotel and very clean. And the staff were very friendly and helpful as well. I was staying for 3 nights and was initially given a room that is just next to the reception; which I did not like due to the noise and the human traffic happening just outside my door. I requested for a change of room and the staff were quick to respond and change me to a quieter and slightly bigger room (queen bed) on the 7th floor the next day. Great service!

Would recommend this place if you are looking for a budget place with a good location to stay in Hong Kong. However, if you are a claustrophobic and need a bit more space, then this inn might not be suitable for you.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 7th floor are quieter as the reception is on the 6th floor.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

They had the rooms set up perfectly! For small rooms they had everything you needed! Flip out table, mirror, tea, coffee, safe, TV, Air con, international power adaptors in the plug....

Cant think what else but it was perfect! The staff were amazing... nothing was an issue! It was safe... as a single female travelling it was perfect! The building had a person in the foyer everytime I went in, they had security cameras in the hallways... they watched each person coming in and out.

I stayed two nights then moved to Accor North Point... it was better than that place!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Homy Inn? Share your experiences!