“Perfect alternative to those overpriced central options” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East to your Saves list
Agoda.com Booking.com
Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Tower 5, 3 Tong Tak Street, Tseung Kwan O, Hong Kong, China   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #26 of 581 hotels in Hong Kong
Spb/Msk
“Perfect alternative to those overpriced central options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Even though I'm quite loyal to IHG, every time I see 1400 HKD price tag for "budget" HI Express Soho/ HI Causeway Bay, my loyalty vanishes. Seems, that finally I've found a good alternative to those overpriced central options - yes, you would have to spend more time on commuting, but hotel really worth those extra efforts - new building, fresh interiors, huge rooms (especially, compared to those of HI Express), mall (with numerous dining options) and MTR just in one minute by foot (from hotel lobby) - and, all of those advantages for a decent price of ~1000 HKD - which I find more, than acceptable for a given property level. As for the negatives - a lot of construction works nearby the hotel (some noise can be heard)+ as per my understanding, there's no sea view rooms in this hotel. First issue is fully solved by a high-floor room, second is not an issue at all ( just "nice to have") Would definitely stay here, during my visits to HK.

Room Tip: You'd better go for a high floor - no noise from construction works can be heard on floors, high...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

286 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Staine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

From the moment we entered the hotel reception we never looked back. As we had a club room we were escorted straight to the 47th floor and was offered a welcoming drink. The views from the outside lounge area was stunning and this was to be our spot to relax for the next five evenings.

As a platinum member we were given an upgraded room which was fantastic with both a huge bedroom area as was the bathroom which had both a large shower area and a bath..

The breakfast which was served in the chefs table was fantastic and eggs were cooked to perfection.

As we were staying in a club room we were served afternoon tea each day and this was stunning this was followed by evening cocktails and a light dinner

On the last night we eat in the aches table buffet and this was worth every penny. Steak and lamb chops were worth the money on their own.

Wincee was just outstanding in the club team and in our view would win employee of the month every month .. What a star. Thanks Wincee for making our stay outstanding . The best service I have ever had and as a Platinum ambassador I have met a lot of staff..once again WIncee your a star

Will definitely be returning to this location . The service is worth the visit

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed for one night at the Crowne Plaza Kowloon East at the price of 900 HKD. Upon check in, I was promptly informed that I was able to get a free breakfast and a welcome drink due to the fact that I was a Platinum member of Priority Club. So far so good.

The room has all the mod-cons one might expect in a 5 star Crowne Plaza. I had no complaints with the Internet service which was also complimentary. If I had to be extremely picky, I'd have to say that the mattress wasn't the most comfortable I've slept on.

The one thing I noticed was the hotel seemed completely deserted. I knew that this was a new establishment to the area but wow! I must have seen 4 people at breakfast between the hours of 7AM to 8AM on a weekday. Some of the hot items looked extremely stale under the hot-lamp but I asked the chef to make new batches as I didn't want to eat tasteless food. The coffee served at breakfast was outstanding. When I asked an attendant what kind of coffee they were using, she was clueless and walked away.

My main problem is the location of the hotel but I guess most people will have accepted the fact that the selling point of the Crowne Plaza Kowloon East is the price and not for its location. It took me a good half hour on the MTR from Tsueng Kwan O to Sheung Wan.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This new hotel is very pleasant for business travelers, has good food (brilliant breakfast buffet), is convenient covered access through the Popcorn Mall) to the new MTR line that crosses the East Harbour, and has very low rates for Hong Kong.

Room Tip: The view to the North is very nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I just had my second stay at this property. The first stay was just myself but this stay was with my wife and I was actually looking forward to it as we typically stay in the Tsim Sha Tsui area and while I had stayed here it was solo so not quite the same.

First, I would like to say this property does a good job at Platinum recognition. Free wifi, free breakfast (for member only), drink coupon along with an upgrade is pretty good. This time I did not get the same upgrade to a much larger room as I did last time but it was still a nice room and there was some fruit and a bottle of wine so not bad. Cant complain at all about Priority Club recognition at this property.

Now the frustrating points and reason I will not be returning. The hotel food and beverage service are chaotic and poorly managed in my opinion.

First example, we arrived the first night and just wanted to sit out on the nice terrace and have a bit to eat. Well you can do that but you can only order from the small bites menu which is extremely limited and not very appetizing. This is the case even though the terrace is really an extension of the Italian restaurant and the same servers wait on you on the terrace or in the restaurant! They will not budge so we dined elsewhere.....they lost money.

Second example, while the drink coupon is appreciated that is given to Priority Club members it is silly that you have to use it at the Lobby Lounge. My previous trip the coupon stated it must be used there but this trip the coupon did not so one evening I asked the waiter at the Italian restaurant if it could be used there and he checked and said it could. Well, we get seated outside to have a drink and then the manager comes and tells us (very rudely I might add) that it could not be used there and had to be used downstairs. We left and went downstairs to get our drinks. Guess where the drinks got made? At the Italian restaurant bar!! So, we had to leave the Italian restaurant terrace and go down to the Lobby lounge to use the voucher so they could go to the Italian restaurant bar do make our drinks and bring them back down to us. One again, I understand they have a rule about using the coupon but after being told it could be used there, why not try to take care of the customer?

Third example, the "Lobby Lounge" is really a joke. It looks more like a normal lobby and not a lounge. There is no bar and the lady that works the lounge has to go someplace else to ring in the orders or to get your check etc so there are often times there is nobody there leaving you to wonder if anyone is working it. Since it looks like a normal lobby area there are often people coming to sit down only to be told to order or leave as it is a lounge not the lobby. They need to more clearly define the area and possibly put up a partition between the front desk area and the lounge to make it more clear to people it is a lounge. They should also have more than one person there working so when one person is out getting orders taken care of they can still service customers. I feel badly for the lady working there as the customers get quite rude when being told to leave.

Finally, I really want to like this location and make it my regular property in HK as I do not mind the 30+ minute commute into the prime shopping areas the reasonable rates and Platinum recognition but I like to stay at a property with good food and beverage options and this property fails in that area. I dont see us returning to this property.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dominique B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear mcgahat

Firstly, we appreciate your kind comments regarding our Priority Club recognition program.

With regard to your food and beverage experience; we take pride in our customer service but this time I’m afraid we “dropped the ball”. Please accept our apologies for the series of incidents you’ve experienced. I want to assure you that we’ve addressed and rectified each one.

I’m pleased to read that you really want to like this hotel and make it your regular property in Hong Kong. If given a second chance, we look forward to you experiencing our food and beverage offerings and service. Please rest assured that we are confident to make your stay a pleasurable one.

Most sincerely
Dominique Berhouet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

like all other crowne plaza hotels, the crowne plaza in hongkong is also very good! Nice rooms new and modern with al comfort needed. The hotel is not in the busy city centre of Kowloon or Hongkong but 15 minutes by taxi. Also it is on 15 min drive from Sai Kung harbour where you can have perfect dinner with fresh very good cooked sea food!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Guangzhou, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We visited HKG on FEB and hotel was booked through my friend.
The Hotel suprise me with best service, and compare to other hotels in HKG, its room is really so big and wonderful! Ms Joann from hotel customer relationship arranged for us a wonderful room once she knew the next day was the marriage anniversary day!
My wife was so happy to see the follower and souvenir in the room!
This is really a memorable night and a wonderful stay for me and my wife.
Thanks Ms Joann, thanks Crowne Plaza, for all the arrangements and best services provided!
All the best wishes and regards!!//TT

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Kowloon East? Share your experiences!