“Delicious.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coast

Coast
32-36 Hollywood Rd, Soho Central, Hong Kong, China (Central)
852-25445888
Neighborhood: Central
Description: 1/floor Kinwick Centre
“Delicious.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

If they had more vegetarian options on their menu, then I would be giving this 5 stars. However, the food seems to hover around meat (like every other place in Hong Kong) so it's reserved for the moment.

The service was lovely, I went just after lunch-hour and the restaurant was empty. The girl who served me was charming, and their food was absolutely delicious. Definitely going back again.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“This place has really gone downhill...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have been a regular patron of Coast restaurant, pretty much since it opened a few years ago, but, having returned to the restaurant for Father day lunch, the first time in 9 months, I was bitterly disappointed and will never eat there again…

They have (had) a decent menu, but I personally go there specifically for the Organic Chicken Schnitzel and their wonderful famous Pavlova.

So, we arrived on Sunday, (Father’s day), for lunch with my family, restaurant is full.

Entrée: Ordered Spicy Lamb Pancakes, not available, ordered tiger prawns, not available, ordered Pancakes, ice cream and chocolate sauce from kids menus for my 5 year old, ice cream not available, “oh and before you ask for Orange juice sir, not available either..!!!

When I asked the reason:: Sorry sir, but we’re changing our menu.

Now I am no restaurateur, but it doesn’t seem logical to me to choose a busy Father’s Day (Sunday) lunch to change your restaurant’s menu. Wouldn’t a Monday make more sense and isn't ice cream on EVERY menu?

Anyway, I was still very excited at this point in time as the waitress confirmed that the Organic Chicken Schnitzel was still on the menu.

So when ordering my Schnitzel I made what I thought was a simple request. May I just have plain chicken gravy instead of the mushroom gravy? Apparently not, I can only have mushroom, red wine or pepper gravy?

Whaaaaat?

Again, I am no restaurateur but isn’t the base for a mushroom, red wine or pepper gravy, plain gravy with Mushrooms, wine or pepper added? Even if it’s not, how long does it take to knock up some plain gravy, 30-40 seconds?

However, the worst was yet to come…

Apart from the fact that all we were waiting for our a meals to arrive, there was no Magners Cider available either, when the Organic Chicken Schnitzel arrived, which is usually a thick, juicy white piece of crumbed chicken 2/3rd the size of the plate, this poor excuse for a schnitzel was half its size, dry, grey, stringy and very difficult to cut.

In fact, there was NOTHING about this chicken schnitzel that resembled any previous chicken schnitzel I have eaten at this restaurant in the past and it was not very appetising at all. I won’t make a fuss about the fact it came with mash instead of the french fries, I ordered, that would just be nitpicking.

…and to top it all off, the Pavlova that was not a Pavlova.!!

No, this was NOT a light meringue dessert with a crisp crust inside, topped with cream and fruit, THIS Pavlova was simple a large pile of whipped cream, topped with passionfruit and a few pieces of fruit, shaped to look like a Pavloa..!!!

My guess, they didn’t have any Pavlova left but nobody wanted to say anything as it was just getting embarrassing. Either that or the chef thought I was a complete idiot and wouldn’t notice?

To their credit when the bill arrived, they did not charge for the Pavlova, nor did they add a service charge, which makes a lot of sense when you consider that they didn’t serve a Pavlova nor provide much in the way of service. In fact, they only had 2 people on staff in the restaurant, another man from the bar came to help later when they were obviously struggling, and, there was an older gentleman who also was clearing plates from tables? (I think he was the owner)

All up, a terrible lunch and not an experience that I wish to repeat.

I am very loyal to restaurants I like, and, this restaurant has certainly gone severely downhill in the past 12 months both in the level of service and the quality of food. Considering the amount of restaurants available in Hong Kong to choose from, I don’t see the point to risk eating at Coast ever again …

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Stockholm, Sweden
“Great lunch place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We had their "set sandwishes" for lunch and were very happy with the service, food, setting and price. Tea, soup, delicious sandwish and a sallad for approximately 90 HKD per person.

Vancouver, Canada
“My Superbowl Mecca”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Found ourselves in Hong Kong over the Superbowl weekend and came across Coast while exploring the SOHO area. Relaxed atmosphere and good service made for an entertaining morning. Nothing fancy - good food, good drinks, and all at a reasonable price. The menu is solid. Had to make a reservation the evening prior to ensure a table - keep that in mind if you plan on watching major sporting events at Coast. The only downside was that the 49's lost. I plan to stop by for a beer later this week.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hong Kong, China
“Lively Australian Bar and Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Just off Hollywood Road in Soho next to the escalator this place is always full, especially when there are any Australin sports events on such as The State of Oragion Rugby. Great bar scene with windows you can sit at and people watch. Restaurant is also excellent with a wide range of international food and the beef is all Australian as the place is owned by Australians. You are therefore guaranteed good service with a smile.

Visited January 2013