“Newly constructed and extremely clean” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Madera Hong Kong

You added Hotel Madera Hong Kong to your Saves list
Hotel Madera Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Cheong Lok Street, Jordan, Hong Kong, China (Jordan / Yau Ma Tei)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% OFF & Free WiFi
Ranked #26 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
“Newly constructed and extremely clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was newly constructed (just opened earlier in 2012) so we anticipated everything to be on the newer side and we were not disappointed! We stayed for 4 days in a Delude Room.

The front desk was very courteous and trilingual (Cantonese, Mandarin, and English). The front desk attendants actually seem pleased to help us with questions and taxi service!

Since it rained while we were there, the property provided Madera-logo umbrellas by the front door.

The room is on the cozier side but the newness and cleanliness more than make up for it. The decor is modern but very comfortable. The items in the Welcome Minibar consisting of drinks (water and sodas) and snacks (which included instant ramen and sundries) in the room were free-of-charge. The property also provides WIFI free of charge.

The bathroom was spacious (the size of which accounted for almost 1/3 of the room) and incredibly clean. No stains whatsoever!!!

The location is prime with subway stops being within 2 city blocks and various bus lines just down the alleyway the property is situated on.

Also notable is the rooftop bar which is cozy and definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

As a male solo first time visitor to Hong Kong (late April / early May) I planned to walk about Hong Kong to see as much as I could in the five (5) days I had available.

After viewing ‘Hong Kong Walks’ on the fantastic Hong Kong Tourism Boards website - http://www.discoverhongkong.com/au/see-do/tours-walks/self-guided-walks/hong-kong-walks/index.jsp and deciding on which walk(s) I wanted to do, it was then just a matter of choosing my accommodation.

After weighing up location, tariff and finally reviews of previous TripAdvisor travellers I chose Madera Hong Kong located in Jordan; pretty well the centre of my planned trekking about Hong Kong.

Let me say from the outset, my stay at Madera Hong Kong was a joy; and was one of the highlights during my time in Hong Kong.

Arriving at the international airport and collecting my baggage it was then a matter of purchasing an Octopus Card and ‘topping’ it up with a few extra $HKs. With baggage in tow and my Octopus Card swiped on the boarded Cityflyer Bus No A21 it was a ride until stop 10 (Nathan Hotel, Nathan Road) where I alighted, then it was just a few minutes’ walk further along Nathan Road until I reached Cheong Lok Street and Madera Hong Kong accommodation. When travelling back to the international airport on Cityflyer Bus No. A21 you board at stop 8 (Ning Po Street, Nathan Road) – the other side of Nathan Road.

The lobby of Madera Hong Kong was welcoming, and the desk staff were even more so. They were always a very happy crew any time; early day through to late night.

Checked-in, it was then into the lift where I swiped my room card and press the floor number; other accommodation floors couldn’t be selected. I had booked the Hypo-Allergenic Double Room which was located on the 21st floor. A very nice room indeed and as I was to find out during my stay the shower and ‘Jacuzzi’ whirlpool bathtub was bliss after ‘pounding the pavement’ taking in all the daylight sights and wanting to get refreshed before ‘hitting’ a restaurant or having a meal at the open air tables around Temple Street markets – now that’s an experience. Restaurant recommendation: Try a ‘Four Seasons Pizza’ at Dimpal Fusion Restaurant & Bar, 283 Temple Street (found on the other - southern - side of Jordan Road).

In my room the bed and pillows were heaven. The room’s television was great. A nice touch was the free first night snacks & drinks. The wardrobe space was fine and there was a safe in the room. The view from the room is nothing special except when a late afternoon storm rolled in; curtains pulled back I watched Mother Nature do her stuff.

On the ground floor is a gallery/museum with a whole array of interesting memorabilia to see (and photograph). Sadly the vintage vehicle was not on show … next time.

If you intend travelling to the four (4) corners of Hong Kong – or even one corner for that matter - then I’d recommend you use the metro … don’t forget your Octopus Card. Returning back to Madera Hong Kong detrain at Jordan station then exit via Exit B1, then make a right hand turn into Nathan Road then a right hand turn at the second street, Cheong Lok Street and there’s Madera Hong Kong accommodation.

I found all the staff were wonderful from Barton at Café 1997 (serving breakfast) to the desk staff. A special mention goes to Rui - the most helpful concierge in all of Hong Kong.

My stay at Madera Hong Kong whilst short was memorable for all the right reasons. When I return again to Hong Kong I know where this happy customer will be staying again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

When i first notice this hotel on American Express Selects webpage in mid April, it said '10% discount off from the Best Available Rate" , soon as i pick up the phone and call to book a nice room for catch an early flight.
First thing came from the receptionist said ' NO, we do not have this offer'. I question that personnel on phone for couple times, in return for the terrible answer ' Perhaps this offer is no longer valid' . What hotel service is that ?
Is that really bother you to check it on the webpage of American Express Selects or what, if you do not have such offer, please note it on your home page and inform American Express to get your name off the list.
This end up that i have to pay higher rate ( perhaps this is the reason why the hotel receptionist say no - higher revenue.) by booking through online reservation website.

Next surprise came when i check out in the early morning - the counter was empty, i could not check out the room ! The only person in the lobby was a male in T-shirt said ' Wait for a moment, the receptionist is away for a moment.' . What i had done was, i made a call to the counter said i will be checking out within 5 minutes and in a hurry, why would there wasn't anyone - capable of checking out, stationed at the counter, just to let me to catch up with my schedule.
Curious, how come this hotel can rate #33 for such service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Esperance
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Modern well furnished rooms in a great location just off Nathan rd. friendly staff. Quiet location with good transport close by, ie bus to and from airport, several options.
Watch the 2 for 1 cocktails as twice the price of most restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed at the Madera on a recent trip through Hong Kong. It is easy to get to; a short cab ride from the Kowloon station. While the lobby was small and simple, check-in was quick and easy. My room was nicely appointed and very clean, with a nice view from the 25th floor. WiFi was reasonably fast and included in the rate. The bed was fairly comfortable, and the room was very quiet. The only thing that kept this from earning a fifth star was the breakfast. I try and always ensure that breakfast is included in my rate when traveling to Asia, as experience has lead me to expect excellent breakfasts. The Madera disappointed, however, with a breakfast that simply consisted of a croissant, an OJ and a coffee. A four-star hotel should do more. All in all, however, my stay was good, and at $127/night (USD) it was an excellent value. Despite the sad breakfast, I would consider staying at the Madera again when in Hong Kong.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed at the Madera for 4 nights during our holiday to Hong Kong in April 2013. We chose this place after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor and were not disappointed. As told by many people, the best thing about this place is the location. Only couple of minutes from the MTR Jordan station. Lots of buses along Nathan road. It was very convenient. The rooms, though a bit small was very clean and convenient. The bath tub with Jacuzzi was a boon after a long day out. The breakfast at the cafe, though did not have many items (we get a croissant/pie, juice and coffee/tea), was just enough to get started with the day. My son loved the game room. Lots of options for food close to restaurant.

Room Tip: Higher the better. We stayed in 23rd floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Naga, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We (we were a group of two adults and two children) booked a Grand Deluxe Twin room for two nights. On our first night, we were made to stay at their residential unit which was really cramped, and with only one double bed. They just added an extra bed to accommodate the children. We were ok with it because at least, we were able to check in at 1:30 pm.

However, on our second night at the hotel, we were told that we have been "upgraded". They then accompanied us to our room - which again only had a double bed. They just added again an extra bed for the children. This "upgraded" room with the extra bed was really, really cramped that we have to be careful in our movements. However, we consoled ourselves thinking that they at least upgraded us.

Later on, upon checking at trip advisor pictures, however, we realized that we were made to stay in a Grand Deluxe Double room, so in short, WE WERE NOT REALLY UPGRADED. This is so sad on our part as we felt cheated. They should not have told us that they upgraded us when there really was no upgrade. =(

Room Tip: Just book the ordinary rooms, it's useless to pay extra for a "grand deluxe".
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Madera Hong Kong? Share your experiences!