“Highly Recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Madera Hong Kong

You added Hotel Madera Hong Kong to your Saves list
Hotel Madera Hong Kong
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No.1 Cheong Lok Street, Jordan, Hong Kong, China (Jordan / Yau Ma Tei)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 25% OFF & Free WiFi
Ranked #28 of 691 Hotels in Hong Kong
Palo Alto, California
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I spent 6 nights in March 2013 at the Madera Hong Kong. I had booked a room through Hotelclub.com and had sent an email to the hotel about a week prior to my trip to confirm my room. They replied promptly and provided information regarding transfers from the airport to the hotel. They also provided details for transportation from the airport to the hotel. I chose to take the Hotel Link shuttle which was HKD 130 and dropped me directly in front of the hotel (the desk to purchase the ticket is in the arrivals hall). I actually arrived at the hotel at approx 7:30 am. I was met by very pleasant desk staff and was able to leave my bags to check in later. I came back to the hotel at 11:30 am and was able to check in which was greatly appreciated.

The room is not large, but is more than adequate and nicely decorated. The decor is very modern with lots of class, mirrors, and chrome. This was all very well, but I could definitely see this is difficult to keep clean of fingerprints and smudges. The bed was firm but not overly so, and there were 4 large down pillows (although they do have a pillow menu that you could order other pillows if the pillows on your bed were not to your liking). The JBL clock has an iPhone dock which was appreciated, and a good size desk and chair in front of the window was nice. The room has a large flat screen TV with a number of English language channels (BBC, CNBC, RT, NHK World, National Geographic, Discovery, and HMC movie channel that showed mostly English language movies). As others have mentioned, there is a small fridge with is stocked with soft drinks, water, beer, and also has instant noodles, cookies, and coffee and tea. The food and drink items are free but were not restocked during my stay.

There is also 2 robes, 2 sets of slippers, 2 laundry bags, an umbrella for use all in the room. There is a good size luggage rack, and a peephole in the door. I was on the 9th floor and did not have much of a view (mainly the back of other buildings and the Novotel hotel). As others have mentioned, the bathroom has a glass wall, it is frosted but I guess you could see under the frosting if you really tried. The storage in the room is ample (good area for hanging clothes including dresses, there were two good size cupboards but the didn't have shelving in them - add to that there were only two drawers it made storage of clothing a little awkward. The clothes closet does have a room safe (no charge).

The bathroom had a tub with a whirlpool, and also a hand shower that had good water pressure. As it is a hand shower it is a little awkward to use but I was able to manage without a problem. The toiletries were Crabtree and Evelyn and were replaced every day (Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, and body lotion) in addition to hand soap, shower cap, and toothbrush/toothpaste. The room also had great free wi-fi.

The housekeeping was ok, again i would say it was clean, but the chrome had smudges and fingerprints when I arrived that were still there when I left. The carpet has a lot of black on it which shows fuzz. One thing I found odd and had not experienced before (despite traveling in Asia quite a lot0 was I got a card under the door one morning at around 8am. It said that I had asked to have my room cleaned but they were unable to clean it as I had a "do not disturb" sign on - and that I was to call them if I wanted to have the room cleaned. I hadn't requested my room to be cleaned so i called, and it turns out that I think they were just trying to let me know that they had been by to clean. I was concerned that I wouldn't then get my room cleaned, but it wasn't an issue, even though I got more of those cards throughout my stay. Just a little odd, especially at 8am. I had placed the do not change sheets on my door most days, but left it off mid-stay to have the sheets changed. However, my sheets were not changed the entire time there (I know as I got a small chocolate smudge on the sheet the first day and it was still there on my last day).

My room rate did not include breakfast, but I did go a few days to Cafe 1997, very nicely decorated (like and English living room) and the coffee was great. There is also a Starbucks a couple of blocks up on Nathan Road if that's your thing. I didn't use the gym but did take a look in and it looked well stocked with machines and cool photos on the wall. There is no pool.

Transportation is very easy. The hotel is a block away from Nathan road and buses go up and down and are incredibly easy to use. Also, the Jordan MTR is a couple of blocks and the exit for the Madera Hotel is B1. There are lots of restaurants and cafes nearby which is good as the hotel does not have food. There is a laundry at the end of the street and they charge by weight ($35 for 1-7 lbs) and only takes a few hours. It was very convenient, they speak English.

I went to the rooftop bar a couple of nights (on the 29th floor). The view from there is wonderful. You can see over to Hong Kong Island, have a great view of the ICC, and also see up Nathan Road towards Mong Kok. I had some great blue fruity drinks that were quite strong (and also had a 20% discount for being a hotel guest)

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel. I felt safe (you cannot use the elevators without scanning your room key), comfortable. Every staff member I met was polite and pleasant. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely the higher rooms will have a nice view, but it all depends upon the type of room you rese...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed in the Madera hotel for five nights in February this year. The hotel is centrally based, ja few minutes walk from Jordan metro station, just off Nathan Road. It's very easy to find, as long as you make sure you leave the subway at the right exit. The hotel is down a minor street off Nathan Road, but the street has other cafes and bars on it so it doesn't feel unsafe. The hotel is a modern, impressive building with a small but welcoming lobby. There's not a great deal of seating in the lobby so it's not the best place to wait for transport if you have a lot of bags.

I had booked a standard room but on arrival I was offered an upgrade to one of the studio rooms on the 28th floor for a very reasonable price. I accepted the offer and didn't regret it. The room came with a complimentary mini-bar and vouchers for breakfast in the hotel coffee shop.

My room was large and spacious, with a very comfortable king-sized bed, a separate seating area and a small kitchen. The views, from the floor to ceiling windows that spanned the length of the room, and looking up Nathan Road (away from the harbour) were tremendous.

The bathroom was very nice, and the Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries were a bonus. The only niggles I had about the bathroom was that the shower was only a handset on the bath - it wasn't fixed to the wall, so you had to sit in the bath if you wanted to shower. There wasn't a great deal of storage, just two small units with plastic shelves on poles. There were two sinks, but I would have preferred a single sink and a better storage unit for toiletries.

There was plenty of good storage space in the room itself, two large televisions (one at the foot of the bed and one in the sitting area) with a reasonable selection of cable channels. (I did however find that because of the layout of the room, when trying to use the remote control for the television at the foot of the bed, the television in the sitting area would turn on - you have to get used to pointing the remote at funny angles!) The television in the sitting area also had a DVD player and had 3D functionality, if you happen to want to watch DVDs while in Hong Kong.

The mini-bar included a few soft drinks, a few beers/wine, and some snacks. Nothing amazing, but nice to have when the munchies struck in the middle of the night.

Breakfast was served each morning in the coffee shop, and included a hot drink (tea or coffee), a pastry (very nice muffins or croissants) and a bottle of fruit juice. Compared to other included breakfasts I've experienced at other hotels this was of a very high standard, and the coffee shop itself had a great ambience.

The hotel also offered a gym, which I didn't use, and a games room, which I tried to use only out of curiosity, but found to be locked. (I wasn't interested enough to go find a key from reception!)

The hotel has a panorama bar on the top floor which I can heartily recommend. The drinks were on the expensive side but the panorama view from the top of the hotel was one of the highlights of the trip for me, especially at dusk when the lights start to come on.

The hotel is right in the centre of Jordan so there is no shortage of convenience stores, coffee shops, eateries and shops. The Temple Street night market is a few streets away and offers all manner of tourist tat, as well as housing lots of good local eating spots.

I would stay at the Madera again without hesitation - it is fresh, clean and well located and compared with other hotels in Hong Kong is very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the studio room - very luxurious!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

we arrived at madera at around 6am and had to wait till 2pm for check in. we didnt have a place to wait since they only had 2 seats in the lobby. good thing the coffee shop on the 3rd floor opened at around 630 so we had coffee while waiting for the shops to open. the hotel
had nice new rooms, size was bigger when compared to other hotels in hongkong. mtr is about 2 blocks away. there are 2 7/11 shops nearby. one is a block before and the other is a block after madera. u can take a shortcut by passing thru the alley which was creepy at night.
overall, if i plan to stay in my room 60% of the time then i would choose this hotel. otherwise, i would prefer to stay at a more conveniently located hotel :)

• Stayed March 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed for four nights on business in April 2014 and have no complaints whatsoever. The room provided was spacious (a premium room on the 23rd floor) and the hotel staff were a delight from start to finish.

I really liked the location, 2 minutes walk to Jordan MTR and therefore 10 minutes from everything else. Dont hesitate.

I didnt use the breakfast as I went out so cannot provide feedback on this element. The view from the small rooftop bar is outstanding (although drinks expensive).

A very good hotel in a great position providing excellent value!

Room Tip: Take a premium room on one of the higher floors
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
L'Aquila, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We spent one night at Madera Hotel and we wish we had booked one night more. The hotel is centrally located, near Jordan metro station, 30mins far from the airport (by taxi). Staff at the reception has been always kind: we got an upgrade to our reservation. We had a two-floor room, at 28th and 29th (and last) floor, with a wonderful view of the sourrounding skyscrapers, expecially by night because of all the lights.The room was all white and green, design furnished, with iPod dock-in station and flat tv screen. We spent some time in the GamExpert room playing PS2 games (included in the reservation). Unfortunately we had no time to use the Gym. Our reservation included breakfast in the design furnished "1997 cafè": orange juice + coffee/ the + muffin. That was the only downside of the hotel: few choice for breakfast.
From the hotel you can easily reach Temple Market, Nathan Park and the arbour and have a complete tour of the city. We wish to come back soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Arrived at the hotel at about 10:30 a.m. after disembarking from a 23 day cruise. Did not expect our room to be ready, which it wasn't. We were made very welcome, our luggage taken care of, and were taken to the cafe on the third floor by Rui, a most helpful staff member. About 30 minutes later Rui came to tell us that we had been upgraded to a 2-bedroomed suite and he accompanied us there. (We are 'I prefer' members, hence the upgrade.) The rooms were beautifully appointed, spotless and very spacious.
The hotel is a 1 minute walk from Nathan Road in Jordan. We were within walking distance of many and a variety of eating places, markets and shopping centres. Rui was most helpful in his recommendations.
We believe it was excellent value for money, and the rate include a continental breakfast in the cafe every morning. Their coffee is excellent!!
If ever we had the opportunity to visit HK again, the Madera is where we would stay. A late 2 p.m. check-out helped us heaps as we had an evening flight out of HK. A great BIG thank you to all the staff for their friendliness and superb service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was our first time in HK and we chanced upon this hotel. It looks relatively new so we decided to go ahead and booked it. When reading our review do note that we had not been to other hotels in HK so there is no way we can compare it to others.

As my wife was preggy, we wanted a hotel with slightly more space. According to the photo i showed my sister and according to her, the bedroom was considered big compared to other hotels in HK. The hotel did not disappoint as their were room for my pregnant wife to move about.

Pros:
Room was considered big (HK standards) as it was not too cramp for the two of us. There was even a small desk and chair for you to do your work etc.
It also came with complimentary drinks and snacks (you have to pay if you want a top up).
The bathroom was clean with a Jacuzzi bathtub.
Flatscreen tv with adequate tv channels e.g. discovery, nat geo and hbo etc.
location of the place was very accessible - walking distance to Jordan MTR. Bus 21 and 22 stops at the street near the hotel with about a 100m walk. (Jordan MTR is near Tsim Sha Tsui, Sham Shui Po, Mongkok - shopping and street market hotspots.
Lots of famous eateries nearby e.g. Tsui Wah HK cafe, Mak Man Kee noodle, Yee Soon Milk Company, all along Parkes Street which is just one traffic light away.
Near temple street night market. 7/11 nearby.
Service staffs were friendly and able to speak english. They also helped us to keep our luggage when we checked out early and we came to pick it up after doing our last shopping.
Room was cleaned everyday. By the time we come back in the evening, room was cleaned and packed. We feel energised.

Cons:
Jaccuzi produce very little and soft bubbles. Felt like i was being cooked in a cauldron rather than being massaged.
My wife claimed that she saw a baby cockroach in the morning when she woke up. I didn't see any.
Do not expect any good views as HK has many high rise buildings

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Madera Hong Kong? Share your experiences!