“Market visit and easy cooking!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Home's cooking school & wet market tour

Home's cooking school & wet market tour
Hongkong Island, Hong Kong, China
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Visiting the unique open Wet Market, joining a fun home's style Cooking Class and getting your best experience to living & culture in Hong Kong. 3-hour per session. Available every weekday morning or afternoon.
5 attraction reviews
“Market visit and easy cooking!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Visit to market is very nice. Interesting to see all the different products they sell here.
Then we took the metro to Joyce's house. Very nice to be in a home environment compared to a actual cooking school! We prepared three dishes and enjoyed eating them! Joyce is very welcoming and open!
I did feel it was a bit expensive but everything here seems expensive in HK.
We enjoyed the course very much!

Visited June 2013

Sydney, Australia
8 attraction reviews
“Great local experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I really enjoyed the whole cooking experience - meeting at the market, visiting a real home kitchen and cooking fantastic food, definitely a unique holiday experience.

Wagga Wagga, Australia
“Forget Masterclass-this is the best foodie experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I booked a morning session with my Son for something different whist in Hong Kong for a “Boys Week Away”. We found the lessons informative and friendly. The tour of the markets was an eye opener with Joyce explaining all the different products and their uses in cooking-even managed to source the black fungi for the main meal when we returned to Australia to recreate the dish! A very enjoyable morning, easy to get there by train or taxi(cheap), if you’re a foodie-jump in, you won’t regret it.
Geoff & Scott

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
“Great day out!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I love to take a cooking classes whenever I can while travelling. It not only gives me a first hand taste of authentic food but also the opportunity to really interact with people. I found Joyce on trip advisor and I must admit, meeting her and taking the class was one the highlights of my trip to Hong Kong. Reaching out to her was a last minute effort as I had planned my trip fairly late. She was extremely accommodating and promptly wrote back giving me options of time and date to choose from.
I loved the fact that she was warm and welcoming and very helpful. What was however the clincher for me was that she gave me an opportunity to change a dish such that I could learn something that could be replicated in India. The visit to the wet market was awesome and she also took some great photos which she promptly sent us. However I do wish the Recipes had been mailed as promised.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

JoyceWoo, Owner at Home's cooking school & wet market tour, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Mahua, great to meeting with you and having fun with you in cooking. Thanks for your advice and we will put effort to improve the recipe matter. Looking forward to seeing you soon again in Hong Kong.
Perth, Australia
“Great way to spend a stopover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I had a long (nine hour) stop over in Hong Kong travelling back to Perth, so arranged to attend Joyce's cooking class.

What a great way to spend a few otherwise useless hours! We got to visit the market (which made a lot more sense with Joyce explaining what we were looking at) and then to go back to Joyce's place to learn to cook scallops in black bean sauce, bean curd with sesame oil and dumplings in ginger sauce. Joyce suggested the bean curd salad (we basically had an open choice of what to cook as she buys the ingredients while touring the market) because I said I wasn't keen on bean curd (I was thinking of tofu) and Joyce suggested I needed educating. I did. It was really tasty. This was a very small snapshot of HK - finding out a bit about how Joyce and her family lived in HK; and learning to cook something I would probably never otherwise have tried. Very worthwhile and lots of fun.