“Enjoyed a lot!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Home's cooking school & wet market tour

Home's cooking school & wet market tour
Hongkong Island, Hong Kong, China
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 179 Activities in Hong Kong
Type: Classes/Workshops, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Visiting the unique open Wet Market, joining a fun home's style Cooking Class and getting your best experience to living & culture in Hong Kong. 3-hour per session. Available every weekday morning or afternoon.
Tsukuba, Japan
“Enjoyed a lot!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Joy is a very friently person and knowledgeble about home cooking. And the wet market she took me have all sorts of fresh ingredients. It was amaizng that I could cook authentic Chinese food from scratch in such a short time (and instruction was very simple)! I have tried to cook the arranged recipes after went back home and still enjoyable!

I hope to join the course again in near future. :)

Visited February 2013

Chicago, Illinois
6 attraction reviews
“Awesome market and cooking tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Joyce was a wonderful instructor and very fun to spend the morning with...the food was delicious. She was very patient with me, as I am not a rockstar cook. I had the class to myself, because two people cancelled at the last minute. So I enjoyed the special attention. I really, really would highly recommend this for anyone who likes to do this kind of thing. I do these classes in lots of cities. This was a great experience.

Visited April 2013
Lisbon, Portugal
21 attraction reviews
“2 in 1 activity: so much fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I love taking cooking classes in new places I travel to and this has been one of the best I've ever taken. Why? Because it starts with a visit to the wet market, which maybe I wouldn't have gone to otherwise, and it would have been a shame. Sourcing the ingredients in the same places locals do gives you a much better understanding of the local food and traditions. The walk in the wet market was indeed very interesting and visually attracting.

At Joyce's home, we learned how to prepare 3 dishes: appetizer, main dish and dessert, in such a fun and relaxed atmosphere. The fact that we're cooking at the teacher's home (instead of in a commercial space) really makes a difference. You feel like you're hanging out with friends and makes things very pleasant.

Joyce was good not only as a teacher but also as a person to hang out with. It was really cool that we got to talk a lot about food and life in Hong Kong in general, listen to her recommendations for local restaurants, etc.

Here's something I REALLY likes: we prepared Chinese food but Joyce made sure to choose dishes that you could potentially prepare anywhere in the world with local ingredients, always suggesting what can be replaced with what in case you don't get a specific ingredients. So we can cook at home anytime!

Visited December 2012
Brisbane
“Delicious and fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

What a tremendous way to spend a few hours in Hong Kong!
With the excellent meeting place instructions in hand our intrepid trio had no problem using the MTR and meeting the delightful and quite lovely Joyce for our tour.
Sure 2 men in their late 40's and one in his 70's might not be the usual attendees at a cooking class but we all cook and the interaction is unique.
Joyce lead us through the wonderfully fragrant wet market chatting with the stall and shop owners and buying the ingredients as well as explaining a few of the more unusual items which we don't see often in Australia. Fresh dumpling wrappers are hard to find!
Then we travelled easily on the local bus with the locals to Joyce's own home for a fun, easy and informative cooking class.
While we certainly didn't match Joyce's expertise in making dumplings our efforts were not too shabby to look at and certainly tasted great.
Our helpful suggestions as to alternative dumpling contents were however dismissed with a smile as "not chinese"!
The overall experience was a highlight of our short 5 day stay but certainly good value and a wonderful hands on insight into how the locals live.
Highly recommended.

Visited January 2013
Bellingham, Washington
“Wet market tour and home cooking class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I have a tradition of taking cooking classes on all our trips. It's a great way to learn more about the culture of a country as well as spend time with a local, gaining insight into their lives. Home's cooking school was one of our favorite classes that we've taken. We met our instructor, Joyce, at a wet market on the outside of town. It was pouring rain, which made the tour all that much more beautiful. All the vendors put up colorful umbrellas and awnings to protect their goods. She guided us through the narrow aisles, pointing out local produce, spices and meats to us as well as introducing us to several vendors. We bought all the ingredients we needed to make our lunch in her home. Joyce hosted us in her apartment for a couple hours. She taught us the ins and outs of making ground pork dumplings and was patient while we learned how to wrap the dough just right. Next we made a chicken stir-fry with chinese fungar. All in all, we had a great time. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in cooking or learning more about living in HongKong.

Visited November 2012