“Canadian hostel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Canadian Hostel

Canadian Hostel
You added Canadian Hostel to your Saves list
Canadian Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Flat E6, 7/F, Block E, Chung King Mansions, No.40 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Ranked #74 of 142 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
3.0 of 5 stars 32 Reviews
Nah Trang
“Canadian hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hostel it self is fine. The rooms are very clean and the air conditioning works well. Once in the room we felt safe and was happy to leave our belonging while we were out. The guy who checked us in was pleasant and although not over the top showed us to our room in a polite manner. The hostel itself is located in the infamous 'Chungking Mansion' which will not be to everyone's taste, you will be bombarded by people selling food, sim cards, hotel rooms etc... however once I had dropped my backpack in the room it was a good place to explore. My main problem with the hotel was the lift, It was painfully slow always busy and the alternative stairs were something from a horror show with awful smells hanging wires and dark damp stairways.

The location is perfect a 5 minute walk to the harbour and the musesums making visiting Hong Kong island very simple

Considering the price, I would stop here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Jacky M, Owner at Canadian Hostel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thanks for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We do understand the issue with the lift but it was originally built as such. The stairways are now being renovated by the Management of the Building and will be much better than your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I booked this hostel on hostel bookers and usually my travels have been fine on here, but this was awful.

I turned up on the first night and they had two rude men on duty. I was tired after my flight and didnt feel safe, so went to sleep at a local friend's house.

Even though I gave notice, they still charged me for the full week, and hung up on the phone when I tried to ask how and why this amount had been debited from my account.

I am appalled with the rudeness, the location, the cleanliness and the disregard with which they treat travellers and young people.

My advice to other travellers and exchange students or anyone else considering this hostel is to stay well clear.

Go to a hotel or hostel with more payment protection.

Room Tip: Don't book here, pay a little extra for somewhere safe that won't take money from your card...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Madam,

Our accommodation is completely safe and secure with CCTV cameras - guest only access cards - 24 hour staffing and a 24 hour telephone number to help out with any issues whatsoever.

However, if the guest still decides to cancel their reservation, please note that reservations are charged as per the cancellation policies listed on the websites. As your reservation was past the free-cancellation period, your card provided was charged as such.

We are sorry that your stay with us wasn't as we had hoped.

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here in May 12. Really liked the hostel. The room itself was small and we sort of had to take it in turns to use the bathroom and get ready next to the bed but other than that it was great. We had one day of torrential rain for the entire day so we were confined to our room. We thought we might go insane but the air con was good, the tv worked and the constant flow of free tea and coffee made it ok. The guy on the counter was very friendly and helpful. He even washed our clothes for us. The only slight issue we had was that the air con system made a loud noise through the night(not in the day though?!) Other than that really liked it. Chungking Mansion is an experience and can be a bit daunting, but don't be put off. After all, we all go to these places for 'the experience' don't we?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacky M, Owner at Canadian Hostel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thanks very much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Chongqing, Chongqing, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed with this mansion in Feb, but i stayed at the Days hotel in block D. my experience in this hostel is already better. The gentleman at the front desk is very friendly. The room is really small, and a bit expensive compared to the last, but say you're coming from Canada it's not expensive at all. The room is clean and I have one window with a fan and air conditioning. There are a lot of people outside the building trying to sell you stuff, but the people who work for Chung King mansions keep an eye out for visitors. When I first arrived off the bus I was given the business card and the gentleman told me which direction I needed to be in. Once inside people made sure I got to the right elevator. Anyway I did have to pay more for this room compared to last time, but they are really friendly here, and I would take that over rudeness any day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jacky M, Owner at Canadian Hostel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thanks for your review. Due to the reservation of the previous guest being extended without prior warning, we had to allocate you to the other hostel. Nonetheless, we are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Tianjin, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I booked this a room in this hotel in October for 2 nigths. Rooms were paid before arriving When I arrived at the hotel, it was full and no room for me even if it was booked and paid. They gave me a room in the same block, but 14th floor, called Angel guesthouse. It was a small room, without any window, lenght of 1.8m and a too small bathroom. It was dirty and they were some bugs. I had this poor room for the 2 nigths and no refund. Be careful.

Room Tip: The positive thing is the location, nearby the see so very convininet to go and see the light show a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Jacky M, Owner at Canadian Hostel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thanks for your review. Please note that due to overbooking , we had to find alternative accommodation and unfortunately, at that very day we could only find that and would like to apologize as that accommodation clearly did not meet the standards for you.
korea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

tout gave me a price of 150 hk ,but when you get up to the hostel the 150hk rooms are full,,don,t stay anywhere here as the whole building is full of liar,cheats,drug dealers..you will be annoyed non stop by criminal touts non stop .

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Jacky M, Owner at Canadian Hostel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thanks for your review. Please be a little bit more considerate choosing your review title next time as it may be offensive to other persons reading your review. Note that 150 HKD rooms are very hard to find these days. Also, the properties are much more secure and safer than perhaps during your stay.
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

The price is too expensive for this poor facilities. If you can't live in a module with no Windows at all and can't stand the noise around....then this hotel is not a place to go. Think twice if you are traveling with children....Investigate before make reservation.

Room Tip: Beware of this Hotel..
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Canadian Hostel? Share your experiences!