“Don't expect much, take a deep breath, enjoy!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Canadian Hostel

Canadian Hostel
You added Canadian Hostel to your Saves list
Canadian Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Flat E6, 7/F, Block E, Chung King Mansions, No.40 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China (Tsim Sha Tsui)   |
Ranked #66 of 142 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
3.0 of 5 stars 32 Reviews
Kiev
“Don't expect much, take a deep breath, enjoy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I booked a single room at Canadian hostel via an e-mail and didn't have to make any prepayments which I liked a lot. Most reviews of any hostels at Chungking Mansions are full of scary stories (especially about the building and the people there), so I didn't really know what to expect. The hostel mailed me very precise instructions on how to get from the airport to their front door, which I followed meticulously and found them without a problem. So, when you read reviews saying that Chungking Mansions is a mess, it's impossible to find anything--it's the problem of the searchers more than the problem of the building. If you know the bank of elevators you have to take (A,B,C, etc.) and the floor, you'll find your place within minutes.
Annoying people at the front entrance--true, but if you ignore them or just wave them off or say "no, thank you" they will not bother you. Actually, that becomes an entrance ritual which is fun, in a way.
The main floor of the Chungking Mansions may seem scary and unsafe, but when you take a closer look, it's actually, a lot of fun to observe. People are very different and stories unfold right in front of your eyes. They say it's the best and the cheapest Indian food in HK--I didn't try but was very tempted.
So, when I found the Canadian Hostel (elevators E, 7th floor), and was shown my room, I was very disappointed. I knew it'd be small but I didn't even have a window (which I specified at booking after reading other reviews.) There were also some other things I didn't quite like. I said to the receptionist that he confirmed there'd be a window and he asked me to give me some time to solve it. Within 15 minutes, I was offered to relocate to another floor for a room w/ a window at no x-tra charge. I accepted and what I got was still small, but very proper, quiet, no smells, there was a windows in the room (which I preferred to keep behind shut curtains) but there was another one in the bathroom, which I could open, let fresh air in and even, eventually, dry some clothes I. Wi-Fi was free and worked OK. There was a common hallway outside shared by 3 other rooms. In the hallway was a fridge, kettle, tea bags and some other things that came in handy. The room was cleaned every day and at some point, I got a new towel. The bed was wide and comfortable. On the 2nd day, already, I got used to everything and started enjoying my stay. I had some issues that needed to be resolved immediately (at 1am) and when I called the hostel number, within a short time someone would come and fix the problem with a smile.
Elevators are indeed slow and you have to wait for them a bit, but you meet a variety of people there and some are eager to chat with you.
I never one felt myself in any danger, even at 3am when I was frequently coming back. There's a night guard by the main entrance downstairs, and even though, you'd still be offered hash, you may just keep walking and nothing will happen.
All this hysteria I read from European tourists who found the Chungking Mansions dangerous and scary just makes me laugh. You are coming to Hong Kong, not Montreal, so expect it to be Hong Kong! And if you still want it to be Montreal, don't look for the cheapest accommodation, go directly to book your Holiday Inn (next door) or some other international chain hotel.
Again, not all hostels/"guest houses"/"hotels" at the Chungking Mansions are the same. I believe others may be smelly and dirty (though, rooms are probably the same size everywhere). But when you read hostel reviews, pay attention to evaluation of the hostel itself, not the building. The building is an experience, but not a danger.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed in a very clean room at the Canadian Guesthouse in chungking mansions. We were meant to be in a large twin toom, but they put us in a larger 5 person room. The hostel owner has 2 guesthouses in chungking and we actually sstayed in a different named one but I think they were both of a similar standard. Free tea, coffee and water, plus towels etc comfy beds. Location is excellent - we walked to all the main sights from chungking, Cheap food and snacks can also be bought in the ground floor. I think it was good value for hong kong.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Canadian Hostel? Share your experiences!