“WWII hikes with Martin” 5 of 5 stars

Attraction Details
Toronto
“WWII hikes with Martin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We found this tour group online and contacted them about 3 months before our actual trip (3 people from Toronto, Canada). The company was courteous and we got in touch with Martin Heyes immediately. We were able to book our trip for the tours at the Redoubt and the Gin Drinkers line.

Martin is probably the most amazing tour guide we've ever had. He's so knowledgeable about the facts and history of these locations and his stories are incredibly engaging. You can tell that he loves history as he has personally researched all the facts about the Battle of Hong Kong (WWII) and has even personally spoken to many who were there. Martin also took us to spots where critical events occurred. The hikes up the mountains were AMAZING, the view was spectacular and it was quite the workout!

My favourite part of the tours was going to the Gin Drinkers' line and going through all the different tunnels and seeing all the shrapnel remnants and grafitti from WWII. It was haunting yet so amazing at the same time.

I REALLY recommend Martin Heyes and his WW2 tours. In fact, I would say that it is a MUST when visiting Hong Kong.

London, United Kingdom
“Battlefields with Martin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

anyone visiting Hong Kong and wanting to know more about its 2nd world war time history would do well to book in with this Tour; Martin is a very enthusiatic guide who is more than capable of bringing history to life.

Singapore, null, Singapore
“Natural formations at Geopark”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our tour guide Martin was very friendly and shared with us information that wasn't written down on the explanation boards for tourists to read. The trip was an eye opener and I did not regret signing up with Walk Hong Kong. Overall, they are reliable!

Brussels, Belgium
7 attraction reviews
“Superb way to see the other side to Hong Kong”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

The trek was lead by Jasmine who was a great guide who was enthusiastic and very knowledgeable. Firstly we took a Tram which was a new experience for me and then the MTR ( Hong Kongs Metro), then we alighted at Shau Kei Wan station and looked around the wonderful sights at the local Market there, which was well worth the look. Then a quick toilet stop at Mcdonalds. Then along to the Bus Terminus and caught the number 9 Bus to the Trek. I thought the walk was good but would not say it was a Trek and would have expected more for my money as $50HK is a lot for half a day ( I am obviously not used to paying so much but never taken a tour in HK before so this maybe the going rate), but what I will say is that the views are spectacular and the tour guide Jasmine is very informative and that once you have done the tour it's great to take the Bus down to the local beach in Shek and spend the day down there as also some great local restaurants. Be mindful to have change for the bus ride back though as they don't give change to notes. This tour was good but expensive but now I know another part to HK and if in town again now know where there are some great sights, walks and places to chill out so it was a worthwhile investment. I suppose if you were on a short trip or even between flights this walk you could do to break up the journey or get away from the hustle and bustle as I would still recommend it.

Singapore, Singapore
8 attraction reviews
“Lovely!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Martin was a great guide and am glad I took this hike... have been to HK a few times but this was very different from the usual night markets etc.. It was wet in December but still enjoyed it.. also, did not have time to head down to nearby Stanely so try to make a trip there if you can.

Visited December 2012

Been to Walk Hong Kong? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Walk Hong Kong, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later